2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't why it is if outfielders are playing deeper or what but just don't see many balls hit over the OF's head.  I think most of the stadiums now has less room in the gap and down the line.  A ball that is hit in the air now is either caught or a homerun and not very many gap shots.  Also batters worry more about launch angles so they are not hitting line drives  but getting more of the balls up in the air.  I miss the says where teams would use speed to help score runs like how the Royals and Cardinals did in the 80's.

The funny thing is the "launch angle" swings have always been there. The great hitters of the past did it they just didn't have a term for it. In fact I personally hate that term because it's got a reputation amongst older fans but the fact is they don't really know what it means other than trying to lift the ball which is only partially right. In many cases OF'ers are playing deeper because it keeps them from giving up extra base hits and it's easier to run in on balls than it is to run back. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yankees had an exciting Sunday as they managed to take 2 games from the Mutts. First game was a come from behind win as the Mutts had a 7-2 lead heading into the bottom of the 7th and the Bronx Bombers got 5 runs to tie and won it in the 8th with a walk-off single.

Maybe the guys in Pinstripes can get it together as their arch nemesis, the Tampa Bay Rays, come to town.....

Padres aquire Mike Clevinger

"Along with Clevinger, the Padres acquired outfielder Greg Allen and a player to be named later. The Indians received a package of young players, including Josh Naylor, Cal Quantrill, and Austin Hedges. Cleveland will also reportedly receive Gabriel Arias, Joey Cantillo, and Owen Miller."

Quite a haul...3 of the Pads top 11 prospects. Arias (7), Castillo (9), and Miller (11).

Clevinger does have good stuff...

48 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yankees had an exciting Sunday as they managed to take 2 games from the Mutts. First game was a come from behind win as the Mutts had a 7-2 lead heading into the bottom of the 7th and the Bronx Bombers got 5 runs to tie and won it in the 8th with a walk-off single.

Maybe the guys in Pinstripes can get it together as their arch nemesis, the Tampa Bay Rays, come to town.....

Yankees have scored 56% of their runs via home runs (159 runs off of 51 HRs and 90 RBI)

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For the Cubs fans I saw they got two relivers Chafin from the Diamond Backs and Orich from the Red Sox.  They also added an OF Maybin from the Tigers.

Veteran bat that probably means the end times for Almora and 2 arms for the pen. I know nothing yet about them but I'll take anyone down there right now.

Another horrible outing from Disco, he just gave up a grand slam and now it is 7-1 Cardinals in the 4th.  My pet peeve on pitchers using waste pitches where there is no chance of the hitter swinging.  Reds down 3-1 and still in the game and the bases loaded and the count of 1-2 with Disco struggling.  Next pitch Barnhardt almost standing wanting a high fastball and the pitch is higher the batters head.  What is the purpose of wasting a pitch like that with a struggling pitcher. Eventually went to a 3-2 count and Disco grooved a fast ball right down the middle and was hit for a grand slam.

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Another bad outing by the guy the Yankees formed a lot of cash for, Garret Cole. Giving up 4 runs so far, plus his era is 3.8. Seems his best years was while he was with the Asstros.

Yankees being no-hit so far.

If I remember correctly you was all for the signing of Cole when it happened.  Well some players just can't handle playing in New York.  Look at Sonny Gray where he was very good with the A's and went to the Yankees and struggled. Now with the Reds he has been one of the top pitchers in baseball.

10 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Another bad outing by the guy the Yankees formed a lot of cash for, Garret Cole. Giving up 4 runs so far, plus his era is 3.8. Seems his best years was while he was with the Asstros.

Yankees being no-hit so far.

Yankee fans are fickle.  LOL

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another horrible outing from Disco, he just gave up a grand slam and now it is 7-1 Cardinals in the 4th.  My pet peeve on pitchers using waste pitches where there is no chance of the hitter swinging.  Reds down 3-1 and still in the game and the bases loaded and the count of 1-2 with Disco struggling.  Next pitch Barnhardt almost standing wanting a high fastball and the pitch is higher the batters head.  What is the purpose of wasting a pitch like that with a struggling pitcher. Eventually went to a 3-2 count and Disco grooved a fast ball right down the middle and was hit for a grand slam.

Ever since Disco came back from his injury a couple years ago I've felt he would be better utilized in the bullpen. He typically does alright the first time through the order although last night wasn't so much the case. 

The rotation imo the rest of the way should be Gray, Bauer, Castillo, Mahle, and Miley/Antone. If Miley's healthy then he gets the nod and Antone goes to the pen. Disco will stick in the rotation though sadly. 

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If I remember correctly you was all for the signing of Cole when it happened.  Well some players just can't handle playing in New York.  Look at Sonny Gray where he was very good with the A's and went to the Yankees and struggled. Now with the Reds he has been one of the top pitchers in baseball.

Who wouldn't be excited to get a pitcher with his credentials?

And Sonny Gray is a good example of some players who can't handle the Big Apple. Like ' ol blue eyes sings "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere"......

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Who wouldn't be excited to get a pitcher with his credentials?

And Sonny Gray is a good example of some players who can't handle the Big Apple. Like ' ol blue eyes sings "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere"......

Actually, I think Sonny Gray is a good example of a Yankee pitching coach f**king a pitcher up.

It appears that Sonny Gray's 42 games of not allowing more than 6 hits could come to an end  So far in the first inning and 5 batters he has given up 3 hits and 2 runs.  Only one out and the Cardinals has guys on 2nd and 3rd so it is already not looking good.  To me the Reds have to be one of the most disappointing teams in the MLB.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I was wrong Gray won't give up more than 6 hits.  He was just pulled after 2/3 of an inning giving up 6 runs, 5 hits and 4 walks.

Even the best have a bad night. Problem is in this season you can't have more than a couple. Just for discussion purposes only. Why did everyone think the Reds were going to make some giant leap in their division?  I know the acquisitions but Cards, Brewers, Cubs have all been there done that teams. The Reds still finished 12 games under .500 last year. Tough to make up that ground.

The Reds don’t score runs with Votto in the lead off spot. He needs to be lower. Sometimes lineups just don’t work like they should with guys in certain spots. It’s sad that David Bell can’t figure that out but instead he’s managing a 60 game season like it’s a 162 game season and even if the offense gets hot they are digging to big of a whole because Bell doesn’t know how to put a lineup together. 

Archived