2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Rumor only but Jason Heyward left the game last night because he wasn't feeling well. During these times unfortunately first thought is Covid. Guess we'll know later today or tomorrow but after he left the game the guys in the dugout were wearing masks more than usual.

Regarding Cubs. Just poor play. Nothing surprising. Been going on for a few years. Caused Maddon/Theo to agree to part ways and now Ross is dealing with this as well. Ross has first year first time manager as a pass from me and probably the masses.....but even he's starting to get dragged into the mud a bit. We just have to figure out the best way to overhaul this team/core/lineup. You can't keep going back to the same guys year after year. If the goal is to limp into the playoffs and lose we've got that covered. If the goal is titles this team won't do it again. 

Hope he’s okay. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

In regards to the Cubs' problem/situation, I am kind of speechless.  I really thought that the NorthSiders had a dynasty going with multiple WS appearances coming.  

We all did and trust me I'm not disappointed with 1 World Series, Multiple NLCS appearances and Central Champs since 2015. It's almost like UK fan being upset with all the Final 4's Cal has had them in but only one title.

Difference is they accomplished so much so young....we had them all under contract this 4-5 year window that started 2016. Based on what they did that year I think we all assumed at least another title.

No one I trust more than Theo in getting us set for next run but this current group has been stuck in neutral for years. Again making the playoffs,etc...isn't horrible but no one builds a team to just make the playoffs.

5 hours ago, rico said:

In regards to the Cubs' problem/situation, I am kind of speechless.  I really thought that the NorthSiders had a dynasty going with multiple WS appearances coming.  

When I saw your post I had 2 thoughts...

First, our pitching while good, has not been maintained at a championship caliber level...In 2016, Lester was an Ace...In 19 and 20 he's a end of the rotation guy...Hendricks is steady, but will never be the #1 guy...Yu has finally stepped up and filled the Ace role...But in 2016, NONE of our starters had an ERA over 4...We can lament how Arrieta wasn't worth the money and Hammels was at the tail end of his career, but we haven't replaced them with pitchers anywhere near their caliber...And don't get me started on the bullpen...

And I often wonder if the reason we don't see teams repeat lately is the way they were introduced to the game...Winning in amateur baseball isn't emphasized until 11 or 12 nowadays...The hunger to win just doesn't seem strong enough on this team...Maybe it's a misconception on my part, but  that's the way it seems...

Those As teams of the 70s and the Yankee teams of the 90s wanted to win all the time...It takes a special team and special players to win consecutive World Series titles...

The Cubs are good, they're just not that good...

Not easy being a Yankee fan these days. Yanks had a 6-2 lead against the Blue Jays until the bottom of the 6th and the rug was pulled out from the Yankees pitchers and the Blue Jays scored 10 runs to take a 12-6 lead!!!!! For the record, that half inning lasted 43 minutes and the Blue Jays sent 13 men to the plate, highlighted by a grand slam.

Sheesh. 😠

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Season split with Cardinals. Don't know if I should be relieved or ticked. Hendricks with another gem....especially vs Cardinals. Now has 8 starts vs them with giving up only 0 or 1 run since he joined the league in 2014. Most of any pitcher. 

From a Cardinal perspective, you take that 10 times out of 10. You didn’t play for 3 weeks because of Covid and all 10 games were at Wrigley. That’s huge. 

18 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

From a Cardinal perspective, you take that 10 times out of 10. You didn’t play for 3 weeks because of Covid and all 10 games were at Wrigley. That’s huge. 

And that's the weird part about spin. Most can do it both ways. I'm ecstatic that we played some of our worse baseball of the year vs the Cardinals and still had a .500 record to our closest competition. 

All in fun! 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And that's the weird part about spin. Most can do it both ways. I'm ecstatic that we played some of our worse baseball of the year vs the Cardinals and still had a .500 record to our closest competition. 

All in fun! 

Well your Cubs probably will be able to have a good next 3 days since you are playing the hapless Reds.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well your Cubs probably will be able to have a good next 3 days since you are playing the hapless Reds.

Doubtful but we'll see. Reds have to start stringing some wins quickly so their season is on the line this week. Cubs players seem to think they have 2-3 months left. We'll see what happens.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Doubtful but we'll see. Reds have to start stringing some wins quickly so their season is on the line this week. Cubs players seem to think they have 2-3 months left. We'll see what happens.

The rotation we have going is pretty good but Bauer and Gray had not pitched as well as they did earlier.

23 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Not easy being a Yankee fan these days. Yanks had a 6-2 lead against the Blue Jays until the bottom of the 6th and the rug was pulled out from the Yankees pitchers and the Blue Jays scored 10 runs to take a 12-6 lead!!!!! For the record, that half inning lasted 43 minutes and the Blue Jays sent 13 men to the plate, highlighted by a grand slam.

Sheesh. 😠

Well, after last night's debacle, the Yankees followed up tonights game with decent pitching, but no offense and lost 2-1. They are officially a .500 team and will continue on their skid.

It's no use, but Go Yanks!!

Archived