2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Hawk won an MVP for a last place team (87), and helped propel the 89 Cubs to the playoffs (Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith were the additions the Cubs needed)...

But I do agree that Lester meant more in a team sense...

Oh...Walton and Smith.  If only they kept repeating their rookie seasons.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rico said:

Hey @IUFLAI was in the stands in '89 to see a Cubs/Giants game.  4 game series.  I saw the only game the Cubbies lost.  3 take aways from that game. 1) The Hawk had a cannon for an arm.  2)  Dwight Smith was a terrible outfielder.  And 3) Will Clark was a stud.

1) yes

2) double yes

3) he proved that in the NLCS that year too...

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

On that note for all you Cubs fans, was Lester the greatest FA acquisition for the Cubs all time if not who was better. 

Lester bought in early and set the tone so for winning a World Series and being in the playoffs more times than we have in the previous 100 years I'd say Lester. Dawson was a big one at the time because Cubs didn't spend. Equally as important team wise was Zobrist. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Just how bad would the Reds offense be if they had to face the Reds pitching?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/view/batting/season/2020/seasontype/2

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/view/batting/season/2002/seasontype/2

Looked at this years team batting and right now the Reds are dead last in th MLB at .212.  Went back as far as this web site allowed me to see the difference in batting average and that was 2002.  In 2002 the lowest team batting average was .244 and today there are 14 teams below that average.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/view/pitching/season/2020/seasontype/2

Look at the team pitching stats and the Dodgers i leading in ERA but it shows they had no quality starts.  To me I can't see that is being true with how well Kershaw has pitched this year.  It is not like it takes a whole lot to get a qualith start 6IP and 3 runs or less.

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I saw on Tuesday that out of the 15 NL Teams. Here's the rankings at the time for team batting averages in NL Central.

Cards-10th

Cubs-12th

Brewers-13th

Pirates-14th

Reds-15th

IMHO BA not a good measure of offense.   Runs scored/game is much better.  The Cubs offense is in the middle of the pack there, but the others remain at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I saw on Tuesday that out of the 15 NL Teams. Here's the rankings at the time for team batting averages in NL Central.

Cards-10th

Cubs-12th

Brewers-13th

Pirates-14th

Reds-15th

I think the problem is most teams rely on home runs to score and if you are not hitting them then you don't score.  I get upset with Votto a lot because he is more worried about walking than driving in runs.  You have guys on first and second with two outs it is his job to drive that run in.  Also when players are trying to work the count they sometimes take to many strikes down the middle of the plate.  It seems like the Reds take so many strike 3's because they are either guessing or more worried about walking.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

The Reds are now the 6th seed.

Yep...

AMERICAN LEAGUE
No. 1 White Sox* vs. No. 8 Blue Jays
No. 2 Rays* vs. No. 7 Indians
No. 3 Athletics vs. No. 6 Astros
No. 4 Twins vs. No. 5 Yankees

NATIONAL LEAGUE
No. 1 Dodgers* vs. No. 8 Phillies
No. 2 Cubs vs. No. 7 Giants
No. 3 Braves vs. No. 6 Reds
No. 4 Padres vs. No. 5 Marlins

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think the problem is most teams rely on home runs to score and if you are not hitting them then you don't score.  I get upset with Votto a lot because he is more worried about walking than driving in runs.  You have guys on first and second with two outs it is his job to drive that run in.  Also when players are trying to work the count they sometimes take to many strikes down the middle of the plate.  It seems like the Reds take so many strike 3's because they are either guessing or more worried about walking.

I actually think Votto has been better the last few weeks about looking to drive the ball rather than just walk. As for guessing pitches that's just the reality of the game now. Most batters have to guess anymore the way that most pitchers are throwing. With the way velocity has gone up in the last couple of years you almost have to try and guess. To an extent. It's also trying to read what the pitcher is doing along with what your scouting inforation tells about the pitchers pitch sequence. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I actually think Votto has been better the last few weeks about looking to drive the ball rather than just walk. As for guessing pitches that's just the reality of the game now. Most batters have to guess anymore the way that most pitchers are throwing. With the way velocity has gone up in the last couple of years you almost have to try and guess. To an extent. It's also trying to read what the pitcher is doing along with what your scouting inforation tells about the pitchers pitch sequence. 

Can't disagree with anything ya said there.  The point remains the Reds don't need Votto getting "picky" when he should be hitting the ball.

I think a few Cub players have the "Votto syndrome."

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Can't disagree with anything ya said there.  The point remains the Reds don't need Votto getting "picky" when he should be hitting the ball.

I think a few Cub players have the "Votto syndrome."

The Reds do have a few guys that do need to take some notes from Votto though. Lord knows I've seen Castellanos, Suarez, and a few others swing and miss at curveballs outside that aren't even close to the zone. That said they are sitting outside fastball typically and guessed wrong or they just didn't recognize but either way it does get annoying to see them do it over and over. 

41 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Baez did get the game winning hit in the 10th with bases loaded and 2 outs the other night...just saying.
He drives me crazy too at times with his lack of plate discipline but he seems to make an awful lot of big moment game winning plays as well.

The thing with me is, he's such an immensely talented guy, if he'd just be more selective...I've seen him power swing and miss by 3 feet...7 walks this year...7...and 65 Ks...that's more than a 9-1 ratio... 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The thing with me is, he's such an immensely talented guy, if he'd just be more selective...I've seen him power swing and miss by 3 feet...7 walks this year...7...and 65 Ks...that's more than a 9-1 ratio... 

Yeah he definitely frustrates me as well, but he is one player who I have just learned to accept the good and bad. I liked Shawon Dunston back in the day and he missed by 3 feet all the time on pitches over his head and despite his cannon arm at SS...he didn't have nearly the talent Baez has. I don't think Baez will ever be a completely disciplined player, but he has so much raw talent and instincts that he is one player I think the Cubs should sign up long term and roll with it. Hopefully he gains some control as he ages, but worse case scenario...he is still one player who can completely change a game in many ways (he is maybe the best I have ever seen at the "slap tag" in the field. I believe he gets in the head of the other team on the bases as well (high energy/aggressive/unpredictable). Just my .02.

Archived