2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am not talking a bout then but just since I started watching in the late 70's.  All the rules pretty much indicate that scoring should be up today because of the 30 second clock and the 3 point line.  Also if all you shoot is 3's and layups you would think you should score more.

But that's my point. Up until the mid to late 80s, even pro basketball was a game of beauty and symmetry. Teams like the Detroit Pistons made it a more physical game. And that has filtered down to college ball...

Use to be a time when even hand checking was a foul...not any more...

Tough to score when you're getting hit every time you shoot...I know even I say it, but I hate the phrase, "finishing through contact" if a foul isn't called...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But that's my point. Up until the mid to late 80s, even pro basketball was a game of beauty and symmetry. Teams like the Detroit Pistons made it a more physical game. And that has filtered down to college ball...

Use to be a time when even hand checking was a foul...not any more...

Tough to score when you're getting hit every time you shoot...I know even I say it, but I hate the phrase, "finishing through contact" if a foul isn't called...

Totally agree so the NCAA needs to change the way the game is officiated.  As for the analytics it still to mer has taken some of the game away that I truly enjoy.  Don't get me wrong I like great outside shooting but to me I don't ewant a team to solely rely on it to win games.  It has taken the mid range game away and that is what I htought made the Cheaney teams so good.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering that the Cubs and Reds both have an offensive problem.  They both are built in a similar fashion of walking and hitting homeruns and to me that is not a great way to build your offense.  Also with a lot of pull hitters and that the shift is implemented for every batter has that hurt their hitting.  I ssaw on the Reds boards tlaking about how hitters use to be told to keep your shoulder in and hit it back up the middle.  Now a hard hit ball up the middle is usually right at a defender.  Also a lot of hits that would be between the 1st and 2nd basemans ar eno longer hits.  

To me I would love for them to implement a rule to stop the shift because it is causing to many hits to be taken away.  It also leads to players and the launch anngel to try to hit a himerun on every swing.  In the NBA they limit a team from playing a true zone defense where a defender still can't just take up space in the lane.  I think for the MLB they need to say that you can have only two defenders on each side of 2nd base.

Besides the World Series, Multiple NLCS appearances and Division titles I'd say the Cubs and Reds are built exactly alike. 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Now that my Twins are done, I’ll root for the Padres. Fernando Tatis was a Ft Wayne TinCap and represented the team and community as a professional should.

Go frocks!

That one is going to hurt the Cardinals for a LONG time. He really wanted to be a Cardinal but our front office didn’t make it happen. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That one is going to hurt the Cardinals for a LONG time. He really wanted to be a Cardinal but our front office didn’t make it happen. 

That was the hard part about deciphering the language I read. When the White Sox beat someone out $ wise.....it's usually very cheap. What did the STL offer that the cheapest organization in MLB didn't?

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That was the hard part about deciphering the language I read. When the White Sox beat someone out $ wise.....it's usually very cheap. What did the STL offer that the cheapest organization in MLB didn't?

Can’t remember the details but Tatis Jr wanted to be in STL because of his dad. Not sure if Cards ever made him an offer honestly. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Rough month for Cardinal legends. Lou Brock and now Bob Gibson passed away. 

In Getting Open by T. Graham and R.G. Cody the authors report that an Omaha basketball coach had written Branch McCracken about a scholarship, and the reply was:  "Your request for an athletic scholarship for Robert Gibson has been denied because we already filled our quota for Negroes."  Gibson went on to play for the Harlem Globetrotters and then of course the Cards.  McCracken had signed Hallie Bryant from Crispus Attucks.  Forty years later Gibson remembered the slight:  "I remember watching Bryant play on television over the next few years and thinking to myself, 'They got the wrong Negro.'"

Saw Bob Gibson pitch a 4 hit 10 inning shutout in the first game I ever went to in person against the Reds at old Crosley Field.

I've attended 200+ games since then and never saw a more dominant pitcher or performance in person...

RIP Hoot...

If you think about it, Gibson was the first black pitcher to be dominant in the post season (Don Newcombe of the Dodger was a dominant regular season pitcher, but never won a WS game). He was dominating in a time where that had to be extraordinarily difficult...

Great read on the 1964 WS and Gibson's dominance...

"Gibson, 28, had pitched eight innings in Game 2 and 10 innings in Game 5. He also had pitched eight innings in his final start of the regular season on Oct. 2 and four innings of relief in the pennant-clinching season finale on Oct. 4.

Keane, the Cardinals’ manager, never wavered in sending out Gibson to pitch the ninth inning of Game 7.

In his book, “Stranger to the Game,” Gibson said, “By this time, I was simply throwing as hard as I could on every pitch, grunting up my best frazzled-arm fastballs. Keane had sent me out there with the advice to throw nothing but fastballs, remarking that he didn’t think the Yankees could hit four home runs in one inning.”

Author David Halberstam, in his book “October 1964,” wrote, “Rarely had Bob Gibson wanted anything so badly as to finish this game. Johnny Keane, who knew (Gibson) was tired and knew he was wearing down, came over to Gibson and told him he was going to stay with him.”

Said Keane to Gibson: “Bob, I’m going with you in the ninth. Just throw it over the plate. Don’t be cute. Don’t go for the corners. Just get it over.”

Strikeouts and homers

The first batter, Tom Tresh, struck out. The next, No. 8 batter Clete Boyer, “jumped on the fastball he knew was coming,” Gibson said, and hit a home run over the left-field wall, making the score, 7-4.

Gibson struck out Johnny Blanchard, who was batting for pitcher Pete Mikkelsen.

With one more out, the Cardinals would be World Series champions.

Phil Linz, a shortstop who had hit five home runs during the regular season, batted next and hit a home run over the left-field wall.

The score was 7-5. Up next was Bobby Richardson, who had produced 13 hits in the Series. If Richardson reached base, Roger Maris would follow, then Mickey Mantle.

“I looked over to the dugout at Keane,” Gibson said, “wondering if perhaps he had overestimated my speed and underestimated the Yankees’ power.”

After Gibson worked the count to 1-and-1 on Richardson, Keane went to the mound to talk with his pitcher. Catcher Tim McCarver “did not go all the way out because he knew Gibson hated it when the catcher came out _ and, besides, there was nothing to say,” Halberstam wrote.

The next pitch from Gibson was a fastball. Richardson swung and hit a pop-up to second baseman Dal Maxvill, who made the catch.

The Cardinals were World Series champions for the first time in 18 years.

Asked why he stayed with a tiring Gibson in the ninth, Keane replied, “He didn’t pitch only with his arm. He pitched with his heart. He’s got lots of heart … I went all the way with him because I was committed to this fellow’s heart.”

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Saw Bob Gibson pitch a 4 hit 10 inning shutout in the first game I ever went to in person against the Reds at old Crosley Field.

I've attended 200+ games since then and never saw a more dominant pitcher or performance in person...

RIP Hoot...

This is why baseball is the best to me. The sport transcends generations into conversations. I never saw Gibson but can respect the heck out of a guy based on trusting fans who did. I think we discussed on here or maybe elsewhere.....Bob Gibson and Gale Sayers growing up in same neighborhood in Omaha passing away during same week. Rough year for legends.

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is why baseball is the best to me. The sport transcends generations into conversations. I never saw Gibson but can respect the heck out of a guy based on trusting fans who did. I think we discussed on here or maybe elsewhere.....Bob Gibson and Gale Sayers growing up in same neighborhood in Omaha passing away during same week. Rough year for legends.

The guys passing away now, like Brock, Gibson, and Sayers are on the fringe of my awareness of sports.  They were at the tail-end end of their careers when I started following (I put my full awareness timeline at 1975), but I heard a lot more about them from others.  

It's hard seeing these guys pass.

When members of the Big Red Machine start passing, and it's only a matter of time, it's really going to hit hard.  They were my first real sports heroes.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

The guys passing away now, like Brock, Gibson, and Sayers are on the fringe of my awareness of sports.  They were at the tail-end end of their careers when I started following (I put my full awareness timeline at 1975), but I heard a lot more about them from others.  

When members of the Big Red Machine start passing, and it's only a matter of time, it's really going to hit hard.  They were my first real sports heroes.  

Exactly. I was born in 1973 so I can tell you every lineup (and there were plenty) of the Cubs starting around 1979. My total sports awareness started right around 1980/81. I missed those legends but got to grow up with Walter, Joe Montana, Magic, Bird,etc...

As you said. Not counting Walter....when some of these guys start passing away I'm going to be a tad more nostalgic. 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. I was born in 1973 so I can tell you every lineup (and there were plenty) of the Cubs starting around 1979. My total sports awareness started right around 1980/81. I missed those legends but got to grow up with Walter, Joe Montana, Magic, Bird,etc...

As you said. Not counting Walter....when some of these guys start passing away I'm going to be a tad more nostalgic. 

That's where Gibson's passing hits me...

My first awareness of sports is the 1964 NL pennant race...The Phillies' collapse (led by 6 1/2 with 12 to play)...The Cardinals blistering finish, and coming home from school to my Mom ironing while listening to the Cardinal game on KMOX...

Then there was the 7 game World Series...

I heard Bob Costas interview last night on the MLBN and he told the story about the world series game against the Yankees. Another one he told was about his last pitch in the majors where a Cubs player hit a homerun off of him.  He said 12 years later in an old timers game that same batter came up and Gibson threw at him and hit him.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First round went to

Scott (8-0)

Fritz (7-1)

Rico (5-3)

IUFLA (4-4)

Ok, now picking all the way through...

Rays over Yankees

As over Astros

Braves over Marlins

Dodgers over Padres

Rays over As

Dodgers over Braves

Dodgers over Rays

Maybe I should start gambling because I could use some money LOL!

AL- I pick Yankees and Astros

NL- Braves and Dodgers

AL- Yankees over Astros

NL- Dodgers over Braves

World Series- Dodgers over Yankees

That world series will bring back memories of my childhood because it seem like that was the world series all the time.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe I should start gambling because I could use some money LOL!

AL- I pick Yankees and Astros

NL- Braves and Dodgers

AL- Yankees over Astros

NL- Dodgers over Braves

World Series- Dodgers over Yankees

That world series will bring back memories of my childhood because it seem like that was the world series all the time.

This is off the top of my head, but I think it's right...

The Yankees and Dodgers met in the World Series in 

In those 11 years, the Yankees have won 8 vs the Dodgers 3 (55, 63, 81)

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

This is off the top of my head, but I think it's right...

The Yankees and Dodgers met in the World Series in 

In those 11 years, the Yankees have won 8 vs the Dodgers 3 (55, 63, 81)

I remember the 77, 78 and 81 series

Archived