2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

Just now, IU Scott said:

Not even close to the same thing.  Like I said jump up and down and have fun but to just stand there and watching the ball and a bat flip is not haivng fun in my book.

Junior watched more balls leave the park than any player ever. Not many have had as much fun playing a game as Griffey. 

You must have hated the IU celebration after the Wat Shot then. Its a game and these guys are great at playing it. To me it was a guy having fun playing the game he loves. Its sports and it is supposed to be entertaining.  

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Junior watched more balls leave the park than any player ever. Not many have had as much fun playing a game as Griffey. 

You must have hated the IU celebration after the Wat Shot then. Its a game and these guys are great at playing it. To me it was a guy having fun playing the game he loves. Its sports and it is supposed to be entertaining.  

No I loved what they did after the Watshot because that is a celebration.  All I am saying is go ahead and do it but at your own risk.  If you want to just stand there and watch the ball and bat flip then be ready to get hit.  There were plenty of it back in the day but the pitchers then had no problem with beaning them.

Just now, IU Scott said:

No I loved what they did after the Watshot because that is a celebration.  All I am saying is go ahead and do it but at your own risk.  If you want to just stand there and watch the ball and bat flip then be ready to get hit.  There were plenty of it back in the day but the pitchers then had no problem with beaning them.

I am sure he will expect it. Put yourself in that position.  Hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing in professional sports to do. I don't like showing your opponents up to me that was not an example of that. 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am sure he will expect it. Put yourself in that position.  Hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing in professional sports to do. I don't like showing your opponents up to me that was not an example of that. 

What you should do is run around the bases and if you want to pump your fist line Gibson did in 88.  When you get in the dugout celebrate with your teammates as much as you want.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just read that in the celebration that Bellinger popped his shoulder out high fiving another player.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just read that in the celebration that Bellinger popped his shoulder out high fiving another player.

He did that in the celebration that you said was fine with his teamnates.  That did not happen watching the ball leave the park.

Nothing wrong with having fun and celebrating.  Many of the old timers did their fair share of it. 

Whoever came up with the idea to put guys on base as retaliation in the game of baseball was a complete idiot. It does the exact opposite of what you want to do. Now are there times it's not the worst thing if you hit or walk a guy sure but to do it in retaliation because you as a pitcher didn't do your job of getting a batter out is stupid. 

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I knew the difference was huge but did not reslize that Kershaw and Betts mske 26 million and the Ray's team comes in at 28 million. The Ray's have beat the #1 and 3 highest payrolls now a ahot at #2

LA has the 2nd highest payroll and the Rays has the 28th

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kiermaier, Ft. Wayne’s finest, takes Keyshawn yard.

No strutting, ala punk Bellinger. 

Class all the way 

little harsh don't you think. Plenty of examples over the past 100 years of celebrating a game 7 homerun. I am aa old school as anyone but heaven forbid having some fun playing a kids game

I have no clue what the Dodgers will look like financially in coming years but I'll give them a hat tip. The whole league had a chance to get Mookie Betts. Dodgers made the move and now reaping the benefits for a title. 

On another note....I brought this up I think last week regarding Kershaw or his lack of postseason success. Was nice to see him deliver a really, really good outing. 8k's and 1 HR. He's so good...but will need at least a title with contributions if not two titles to get in the elite of elite conversation but last night was a great start.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I have no clue what the Dodgers will look like financially in coming years but I'll give them a hat tip. The whole league had a chance to get Mookie Betts. Dodgers made the move and now reaping the benefits for a title. 

On another note....I brought this up I think last week regarding Kershaw or his lack of postseason success. Was nice to see him deliver a really, really good outing. 8k's and 1 HR. He's so good...but will need at least a title with contributions if not two titles to get in the elite of elite conversation but last night was a great start.

I don't agree that anyone could had Betts because he was going to be a free agent.  Not very many people would have given up a lot of their farm system for one year of Betts.  Most teams could not afford to give him the contract the Dodgers did so that eliminates a  lot of orginizations trying to get Betts.

13 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

little harsh don't you think. Plenty of examples over the past 100 years of celebrating a game 7 homerun. I am aa old school as anyone but heaven forbid having some fun playing a kids game

I have no issues with his celebration and if he wants to hurt himself while doing so, I kinda think that’s karma.

I don’t like or agree with the posturing and bat flip before he even started his HR trot. That’s what the bush league comment refers to. I stand by my earlier comment that after Bellinger did that, I would have buzzed the next hitter 

here is my problem with MLB and the fans. If no one hits the ball its boring or if all the hits are homeruns people complain that its not like the old days. Very seldom do we see bunts, moving the runners etc basic fundamental baseball that many of us grew up on. When players show emotion have fun or heaven forbid watch a homerun they become punks and disrespect the game. I love the game of baseball and it is much different than the game I grew up watching but at the end of the day we have sports to watch,  amazing athletes showing off their God given talent and sometimes they let loose and have some fun. I can live with it but that is just my opinion and I am not trying to change how anyone else feels. I am just happy that we got the season in. Stepping off soapbox.

58 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

here is my problem with MLB and the fans. If no one hits the ball its boring or if all the hits are homeruns people complain that its not like the old days. Very seldom do we see bunts, moving the runners etc basic fundamental baseball that many of us grew up on. When players show emotion have fun or heaven forbid watch a homerun they become punks and disrespect the game. I love the game of baseball and it is much different than the game I grew up watching but at the end of the day we have sports to watch,  amazing athletes showing off their God given talent and sometimes they let loose and have some fun. I can live with it but that is just my opinion and I am not trying to change how anyone else feels. I am just happy that we got the season in. Stepping off soapbox.

If you're the pitcher, do you retaliate if you think a hitter went over the top when he took you deep?

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If you're the pitcher, do you retaliate if you think a hitter went over the top when he took you deep?

I put it in the memory bank and remind him first time we see each other next year. I know that people will say just act like you have been there before and i get it. He is one of the very few that has been there before hitting a go ahead HR late in a game 7 but put ourselves in that situation. As I get older i loosen up on some of the things that used to bother me. Just happy to see baseball being played. I was a guy that was so dumb as a young coach that cut his best shooter from the team because his form was terrible but the ball went in, so what does my opinion matter. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

👍

I was that bully in little league that would intentionally hit the 1st batter of almost every game in the back side with a ball as hard as I could throw. Everyone else got a little farther off the plate and the rest of the game pitching was much easier with a lot of plate and guys backing out on anything coming inside. Trust me I paid the price for it and had the bruises to show for it. I got hit my fair share. Its all part of the game

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I was that bully in little league that would intentionally hit the 1st batter of almost every game in the back side with a ball as hard as I could throw. Everyone else got a little farther off the plate and the rest of the game pitching was much easier with a lot of plate and guys backing out on anything coming inside. Trust me I paid the price for it and had the bruises to show for it. I got hit my fair share. Its all part of the game

I was too...When I was 12, I hit a kid on the hand, smashing his fingers against the bat...He dropped the bat and started jumping around and crying...Then his Mom came out of the stands  to tend to him...I always told my Mom NEVER to come onto the field...I didn't care if I was dead...send Dad...

A couple of innings later, he came up again...I heard behind me, "Time Out!" from my best friend (who was playing shortstop). He walked up to me and says, "I dare you to hit him again."

Right between the shoulder blades...And here came his Mom screaming at me the whole way...

Me and my friend still laugh about that one...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I was too...When I was 12, I hit a kid on the hand, smashing his fingers against the bat...He dropped the bat and started jumping around and crying...Then his Mom came out of the stands  to tend to him...I always told my Mom NEVER to come onto the field...I didn't care if I was dead...send Dad...

A couple of innings later, he came up again...I heard behind me, "Time Out!" from my best friend (who was playing shortstop). He walked up to me and says, "I dare you to hit him again."

Right between the shoulder blades...And here came his Mom screaming at me the whole way...

Me and my friend still laugh about that one...

I broke a kids fingers that tried to lay down a bunt to break up the no hitter and the kid had no idea how to bunt and wrapped his whole hand around the bat. 

I am with you. I didn't care and it did not bother me to hit people. My wife always wanted to go onto the field but I was always able to keep her in the stands. My son was too nice I could never get him to hit anyone he had great location and would come inside and he was good enough to not injure someone but he just would not do it. Much better person that I for sure!!

I pitched and played 3rd base. I was "old school" as well, but I think I was nicer than @IUFLAand @Billingsley99ha. I had excellent control as a pitcher and could throw in on a hitter without plunking them very often...and still was able to get my point across if they were crowding the plate. I would intentionally throw wild in warmups to give the upcoming batters something to think about. I have one story of intentionally throwing at someone...there was some sort of beef between a player on the other team and some of my teammates who were also from my neighborhood. They told me before the game to hit the guy. First time he came up, there were runners on and only one out so I pitched to him. Next time he came up...I drilled him right in the back. He went down for a good minute with coaches coming out to check on him etc. He left the game. I heard the next day that his older brothers were going to kick my a$$ ha. Nothing ever came of it, but the next time he faced me, he barely stood in the batters box.

Archived