2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to the Reds board and one of the threads swere about Cash takiSo many over there agreed with pulling him becaus the numbers indicated it was the right thing to do.  I am so tired of everything having to be done by the numbers and how everyone thinks a computer knows what the right thing to do in every situation.  Sports are entertaininment played by humans and humans makes mistakes but that is what makes sports great.  Today everything has to be perfect and has to have an outcome that is scripted.

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Went to the Reds board and one of the threads swere about Cash takiSo many over there agreed with pulling him becaus the numbers indicated it was the right thing to do.  I am so tired of everything having to be done by the numbers and how everyone thinks a computer knows what the right thing to do in every situation.  Sports are entertaininment played by humans and humans makes mistakes but that is what makes sports great.  Today everything has to be perfect and has to have an outcome that is scripted.

I get what Cash was thinking. Why change what you've done to get to the world series when you finally get to the world series. They relied on the numbers all year to get there. That said you also have to have some feel as a manger and not just really on numbers and some of these analytical guys don't get that. 

17 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I get what Cash was thinking. Why change what you've done to get to the world series when you finally get to the world series. They relied on the numbers all year to get there. That said you also have to have some feel as a manger and not just really on numbers and some of these analytical guys don't get that. 

I think Cowherd said it best the other day.  Something along the lines of "You would have to be an idiot in this day and age not to look at the analytics, but you would be a bigger idiot not to value the human element."

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm torn. I've always been a Tony fan. Hate the White Sox.

Even though most of his stops have been for rivals. With that said about 95% of White Sox fans are livid this morning. 

I would be livid too for hiring that 'roid loving LaRussa.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Costellanos is staying with the Reds and did not opt out of his contract.  Not really a surprise since he did not ifnish the year off well and the uncertainty around the economics of baseball.  Stil can't believe there are reds fans who hoped he would opt out this year.

I think that is a good get for the reds...

I guess it is time for one of my old man rants.  Since I have a lot of time on my hands I have watched a lot of sports shows and I am coming to a conclusion that they are tryong to drive away the older fan.  I no I am a simple person and I just care about the sport itself and don't dig deep into the stats but watchign these shows that is all they talk about.  

Watching MLB now they are tlaking about the finialist for the awards and they don't really talk about what the players did on the field but just spill out stats that a lot of us old timers don't understand at all.  Actually there are stats that I couldn't care less about and never made an attempt to even see what goes into these stats.  These people who made these stats up could just go by what they feel is important and weight those stats to read how they want them to do when determing who is better.  I care about batting average, HR, RBI when it comes to batting but all I saw was WAR WRC+, DRS, FIP and can go on and on.

I just feel that there goal is to get us old timers away from the game and they think they invented the game.  They make it feel like the game of the past never existed and what they did was the wrong way of doing things.

GG.PNG.1f28f3bf2f4aba256510121ce64c180c.PNG

And, in a move that I'm sure will thrill @IU Scott to the core...

"This year's Gold Gloves were based on a collection of defensive metrics known as the SABR Defensive Index, which combines several methods of estimating defensive performance statistically. Because of MLB's regional schedule this season, managers and coaches -- usually one part of the final component -- did not vote."

So stat geeks were the only voters...Yes, they know more that coaches and managers, I'm sure...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

GG.PNG.1f28f3bf2f4aba256510121ce64c180c.PNG

And, in a move that I'm sure will thrill @IU Scott to the core...

"This year's Gold Gloves were based on a collection of defensive metrics known as the SABR Defensive Index, which combines several methods of estimating defensive performance statistically. Because of MLB's regional schedule this season, managers and coaches -- usually one part of the final component -- did not vote."

So stat geeks were the only voters...Yes, they know more that coaches and managers, I'm sure...

Good ole Tucker, the next coming of Jeff Reed.

Archived