2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't applicable to this year but throwing it in here. Gil Hodges was a Hoosier???? Besides board games Christmas evening always ends up in trivia for some of us and usually sports trivia. Question was name the Hoosier that has the most home runs in MLB career. I went Scott Rolen. Felt pretty confident. Never knew Hodges was born in Princeton and he was the correct answer. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This isn't applicable to this year but throwing it in here. Gil Hodges was a Hoosier???? Besides board games Christmas evening always ends up in trivia for some of us and usually sports trivia. Question was name the Hoosier that has the most home runs in MLB career. I went Scott Rolen. Felt pretty confident. Never knew Hodges was born in Princeton and he was the correct answer. 

I knew he was a Hoosier, which is 1 in his favor...

But he was also the manager of the "Miracle Mets" so that's 10 against...

On 12/26/2020 at 12:29 PM, IUFLA said:

As an aside, Carl Erskine (Oisk) of those great Brooklyn Dodgers teams of the 50s was from Anderson, Indiana.

Erskine did travel and do talks to young players in Indiana.  When I was just a boy (60''s), I saw him at several clinics.

16 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Fairly certain I have his autograph on baseball card.

I have a soft spot in my heart for those 50s Brooklyn Dodger teams...I worked with an older guy from Brooklyn who was part of the Ebbetts Field "Knothole Gang." Had some great stories about the players...

The Yankees beat the Dodgers in the World series in 41, 47, 49, 52, and 53, before the Dodgers finally won in 1955...my friend said the we're all in the streets celebrating when two Yankee fans riding in a convertible drove by with a sign that said "Let the F*****s Win One"

Sandy Amoros made the catch that saved the series for "Dem Bums."

Screenshot_20210101-113727.png

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have a soft spot in my heart for those 50s Brooklyn Dodger teams...I worked with an older guy from Brooklyn who was part of the Ebbetts Field "Knothole Gang." Had some great stories about the players...

The Yankees beat the Dodgers in the World series in 41, 47, 49, 52, and 53, before the Dodgers finally won in 1955...my friend said the we're all in the streets celebrating when two Yankee fans riding in a convertible drove by with a sign that said "Let the F*****s Win One"

Sandy Amoros made the catch that saved the series for "Dem Bums."

Screenshot_20210101-113727.png

That's a cool pic. I need to go through some of my memorabilia...I might have some stuff from other players from those teams. Most of the stuff I collected was from players in 70s-90s. I do have an autograph from some guy named Jackie Robinson.

Archived