2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2020 at 1:19 PM, IUFLA said:

Your opinion...I disagree...

The only people I know who want the DH in both leagues don't totally understand the game and the strategy within it very well...Using injury as an excuse is lame...They can get injured in a myriad of ways on a baseball field, including getting hit by a foul ball into the dugout. 

And there have been some very good hitting pitchers...as for the strikeouts, seems to me the everyday players are making quite the habit of that...A couple by the pitcher doesn't matter one way or the other...

Bobby Bonds set a strikeout record in 1970 with 189...It was broken in 2004 (Adam Dunn)...Since then it has been surpassed 31 times...Yeah, buddy...exciting baseball...

I know plenty about the strategy of baseball buddy. I coach at a high school that is known for bunting and have a state ring because of some timely bunting and hit and runs among other plays. 

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be trying to hit a homerun every swing and that has nothing to do with the DH. I just don't see why the National League should be the only league in all of baseball outside of little league that doesn't have a DH. I agree that you can get hurt in many ways but if I'm paying a starting pitcher 100 to 300 million dollars I wouldn't want them doing anything but pitching unless it couldn't be helped. 

On 10/2/2020 at 6:45 PM, IU Scott said:

OK since most of us on here that the off season has started and we all are complaining about our team or the game itself.  I wanted to know if you were the commisoner of baseball what would you do to help the game of baseball. Here is mine

1) Implement a clock in between pitches to 20 seconds

2) Stop batters stepping out of of the box after every pitch to adjust their gloves.

3) limit the amount of pitching changes to 5 in a game-  Yesterday I turned on the Sox/A's game and it was the 4th inning and the Sox was already on their 5th pitcher.  It is obvious that the rule about a pitching having to pitch to 3 batters has not helped.

4) no more shifts- only two infielders on each side of second.  I hate when teams put an infielder in short left field like slow pitch softball.  The thing is that it hurts the Reds more than it helps because I saw a lot of weak grounds balls that the infielder couldn't come in and get.

5) Move back the mound

6) Move the fenses back

7) I would eliminate the DH rule but that will never happen.

The only one of those I would do is limit the amout of shifting that is allowed in the infield. 

On 10/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, IU Scott said:

I just see these other organizations like the Padres and the Braves bring guys up who contribute right away and become stars.  On the other hand the Reds guys they draft high seem to not come through the organization very quickly if at all.

Those guys are stars before they get to the majors. You can see it with their tools and ability. Tatis and Acuna are just naturally different. No development from the organizations did that. 

12 hours ago, rico said:

@IU Scottthis is what could go wrong during a bunt...

I was 12  years old and pitching,  kid squared around to bunt and wrapped his whole hand around the bat. He laid down  a nice bunt but broke 3 fingers in the process. I felt bad because we went to high school together and he never played anymore because he was scared. I don't know if he ever realized I was the guy that broke his fingers. 

On 10/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, IU Scott said:

Probably wouldn't get to much for him.  This is the problem with the Reds that they draft these guys high and they don't develop.

It depends. Some teams would love to take him as part of a package for an established player. That said it would take more than just him as it always would have. The only players I would consider trading him as part of a package for are Lindor, Seager, Bogaerts, or Story. I don't think they will trade him this offseason though. I personally would put him at 2nd base with Moose at 1st and let Joey DH but I don't think they will do that. 

40 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I know plenty about the strategy of baseball buddy. I coach at a high school that is known for bunting and have a state ring because of some timely bunting and hit and runs among other plays. 

I posted about my own personal experience. I acknowledged your opinion, but somehow my opinion triggered you. Not all that surprisng in this day and age. 

And I have an extensive playing/coaching resume myself spanning over 50 years...so let's not play the "let's flop em out and measure" game, eh?

44 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I just don't see why the National League should be the only league in all of baseball outside of little league that doesn't have a DH

Maybe because some fans like baseball that entails more than just filling out a lineup card? As I said, it takes a lot of the strategy out of the game. 

There are no definitive statistics that show the AL is more popular than the NL attendance wise, so that theory holds no water. And the DH accounts than less than 1 run per game

And I'll stand by my injury comment.

You know, surprises in sports are one of the "Easter Eggs." Something you don't expect...Look at the Mickey Lolich homer in the 2nd game of the 1968 World Series. It was one of those moments. It was his first and last MLB home run. Or how about Kerry Woods' home run in the 2003 NLCS? The "Miracle on Ice?" 

Look, I'm not the kind of guy that goes to any ballgame looking at my watch. I love the sights, the smells, and the fact that baseball isn't ruled by a time clock. I love thinking along with the managers (and, yes, I keep a scorecard at games I go to...always have and I always will) and second guessing them. I know I'm an anomaly, but I don't think less than a run a game is all that thrilling to the casual observer. You have to appeal to the "old schoolers" once in a while.

Screw the DH...

170129-Runs-Per-Game-Data-Table.png

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I posted about my own personal experience. I acknowledged your opinion, but somehow my opinion triggered you. Not all that surprisng in this day and age. 

And I have an extensive playing/coaching resume myself spanning over 50 years...so let's not play the "let's flop em out and measure" game, eh?

Maybe because some fans like baseball that entails more than just filling out a lineup card? As I said, it takes a lot of the strategy out of the game. 

There are no definitive statistics that show the AL is more popular than the NL attendance wise, so that theory holds no water. And the DH accounts than less than 1 run per game

And I'll stand by my injury comment.

You know, surprises in sports are one of the "Easter Eggs." Something you don't expect...Look at the Mickey Lolich homer in the 2nd game of the 1968 World Series. It was one of those moments. It was his first and last MLB home run. Or how about Kerry Woods' home run in the 2003 NLCS? The "Miracle on Ice?" 

Look, I'm not the kind of guy that goes to any ballgame looking at my watch. I love the sights, the smells, and the fact that baseball isn't ruled by a time clock. I love thinking along with the managers (and, yes, I keep a scorecard at games I go to...always have and I always will) and second guessing them. I know I'm an anomaly, but I don't think less than a run a game is all that thrilling to the casual observer. You have to appeal to the "old schoolers" once in a while.

Screw the DH...

170129-Runs-Per-Game-Data-Table.png

I wasn't offended or anything I was just pointing out that I'm not in the HR or nothing camp like some around the game. It's clear you're dead set against the DH and that's fine. It's your opinion. 

Just saw this and wanted to post another Bob Gibson story. Never knew the last pitch he ever threw was hit for a grand slam by a guy named Pete LaCock. A decade later there was an old timer's game at Wrigley. Gibson was on the mound and LaCock came to the plate. Gibson drilled him. Haha.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just saw this and wanted to post another Bob Gibson story. Never knew the last pitch he ever threw was hit for a grand slam by a guy named Pete LaCock. A decade later there was an old timer's game at Wrigley. Gibson was on the mound and LaCock came to the plate. Gibson drilled him. Haha.

As has been mentioned before here I think, Pete LaCock's dad is Peter Marshall, former host of the "Hollywood Squares" game show...

My 2 favorite stories about Gibson are the Bill White story. They were best friends on the Cardinals, but when White was traded to the Phillies, first time Gibson faced him, he drilled him with a pitch...in spring training, no less.

And the story of Tim McCarver early in his career going to the mound when Gibson was pitching, getting half way there, and hearing Gibson say, "Just go on back. The only thing you know about pitching is you can't hit it."

They wound up being good friends...

Well, it looks like the Savages are back! Stanton busted a close game as he hit a grand slam home run to extend the score from 5-3, to 9-3 Yankees. Cole pitched well as he struck out 8 over 6 innings.

Tonight's starter for the Yanks is Deivi Garcia, and becomes the Yankees youngest pitcher for a postseason game. Big pressure for a young kid. His idol was, are you ready for this? Pedro Martinez! A Red Sawks, Yankees nemesis!!

54 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well, it looks like the Savages are back! Stanton busted a close game as he hit a grand slam home run to extend the score from 5-3, to 9-3 Yankees. Cole pitched well as he struck out 8 over 6 innings.

Tonight's starter for the Yanks is Deivi Garcia, and becomes the Yankees youngest pitcher for a postseason game. Big pressure for a young kid. His idol was, are you ready for this? Pedro Martinez! A Red Sawks, Yankees nemesis!!

Go Rays!

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ft Wayne native Kevin Kirmaier struggling tonight v Yankee lefties. 

Still, glad to see the Rays giving it to the Pinstripes 

Yep the experiment, starting a young pitcher in a pressure situation did not go well for the Yankees last night. And JA Happ was not thrilled being used in relief and it showed as he gave up 2, 2 run blasts.

Stanton was the silver lining as he walloped 2 homers.

Tanaka on the mound tonight......  Go Yankees

Big Reds news today as Dick Williams has stepped down as president of baseball operations to spend more time with his young family and take a role in his families company. It will be interesting to see who they hire to replace him. It was said that Nick Krall will stay in his role of vice president of baseball operations and GM. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Big Reds news today as Dick Williams has stepped down as president of baseball operations to spend more time with his young family and take a role in his families company. It will be interesting to see who they hire to replace him. It was said that Nick Krall will stay in his role of vice president of baseball operations and GM. 

I thought baseball wa shis families business.  I always see on the the Reds message board talking about the only reason Williams got the job becaus ehe is a relative of the owner.  This should make the Reds fans happy on their board because they wanted him and Bell gone plus most of the players.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought baseball wa shis families business.  I always see on the the Reds message board talking about the only reason Williams got the job becaus ehe is a relative of the owner.  This should make the Reds fans happy on their board because they wanted him and Bell gone plus most of the players.

His family business outside of baseball. Yes his grandpa, dad, and uncle are all part of the ownership group. I don't get why some fans think that he should have been gone. He made several very good trades and signed players in free agency that Jocketty never would have done. That said I do hope the Reds hire someone from outside the organization to be the new President of Baseball Ops. 

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

His family business outside of baseball. Yes his grandpa, dad, and uncle are all part of the ownership group. I don't get why some fans think that he should have been gone. He made several very good trades and signed players in free agency that Jocketty never would have done. That said I do hope the Reds hire someone from outside the organization to be the new President of Baseball Ops. 

Just went over to the Redzone the message board and some brought up Theo since it is said that he will be leaving Chicago after next year.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I would expect them to fill the position this offseason and not next. 

I think that they tried to get Theo to leave a year early.   I don't post on the Reds site because all of their discussions are based on stats that I don't understand or really care to learn about.  Most of the discussions are not about the game itself or about the players.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think that they tried to get Theo to leave a year early.   I don't post on the Reds site because all of their discussions are based on stats that I don't understand or really care to learn about.  Most of the discussions are not about the game itself or about the players.

Easy there Scott, I am a Redszoner

Archived