2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

I post on Redszone about once every 4 years but go there to read it from time to time.  While I like the Reds more I watch the Rangers a lot more being in Texas.  The Reds problem is they are usually done for the season so early and it is hard to stay locked in when 1200 miles away even with an MLB subscription.  Rangers for the most part have been decent the last 10 years.  Their AAA team was local to Austin for about 5 years until last season.   The last couple years I have gotten more back into the Reds.  One thing about MLB package I like is streaming radio broadcasts when driving or working out at gym.  Walking the neighbiorhood. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So what is your name over there.  You know me and analytics don't mix.  Over there they go to deep into stays for me to ever post there.

Just go to "The Tavern" and check out the IU threads...you will figure it out.

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think that they tried to get Theo to leave a year early.   I don't post on the Reds site because all of their discussions are based on stats that I don't understand or really care to learn about.  Most of the discussions are not about the game itself or about the players.

There was a report a couple days ago that Theo was going to wait until the end of his contract. If the Reds go outside I would expect it to be someone with ties to the Reds or Cincinnati. The two names that seem to make the most sense in that regard are Michael Hill who is the president of baseball ops with the Marlins and Tim Naehring who is the Yankees vice president of baseball ops and still has a home in Cincinnati. I personally think it will end up being Nick Krall who gets promoted. I also wouldn't be upset if they hired someone out of the Rays front office. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

It just occurred to me that not only is Bauer a FA but so is DeSclafani.  That leaves the Reds with Gray, Castillo, Mahle, and Miley.  See which direction the Redlegs go.

If one of Bauer and Disco aren't resigned and that's a big IF then Dick Williams said that Lorenzen, Antone, Mahle, De Leon, Green and Lodolo are all candidates to fill that spot or spots in the rotation and that's if no one else is acquired. Yes, this was before Williams stepped down but it still likely won't change to much because these are the names Bell and Johnson are probably looking at too. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

There was a report a couple days ago that Theo was going to wait until the end of his contract. If the Reds go outside I would expect it to be someone with ties to the Reds or Cincinnati. The two names that seem to make the most sense in that regard are Michael Hill who is the president of baseball ops with the Marlins and Tim Naehring who is the Yankees vice president of baseball ops and still has a home in Cincinnati. I personally think it will end up being Nick Krall who gets promoted. I also wouldn't be upset if they hired someone out of the Rays front office. 

I like to see them hire someone from the Rays, A's or Twins since they would be use to working in a smaller market.

Speaking of the Rays, the Yankee backs are up against a wall after losing last night to the Rays. Colin Montgomery is slated to take the mound for the guys in pinstripes. Oh how I wish the Yanks had Severino and German available. Not feeling too optimistic about this one. Stanton continues to be the bright spot for the guys in pinstripes.

Go Yankees....

25 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm kind of torn on the Astros a bit. I hate that they are winning because of their past cheating but I am happy for Dusty Baker. The guy has always had regular season success but has struggled in the post season. 

Yeah, tough one for me as well.  I like Dusty.

55 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm kind of torn on the Astros a bit. I hate that they are winning because of their past cheating but I am happy for Dusty Baker. The guy has always had regular season success but has struggled in the post season. 

Same. Even though he decimated our young arms in Chicago I've still been a fan of Dusty and his teams. He wins which is good enough for me.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Same. Even though he decimated our young arms in Chicago I've still been a fan of Dusty and his teams. He wins which is good enough for me.

He did have a couple years he overused pitchers but he was also trying to win and bring a title back to Chicago. It just didn't pan out. 

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don't know but there are charts that show what he did verses the league average and most years after chicago he was pretty close to the average. 

No data to back this up on long term impact...but Prior's pitch count in September alone that year went 131, 129, 109, 124, 131, and 133.

Those were 1970's and 1980's starting pitcher numbers. haha.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No data to back this up on long term impact...but Prior's pitch count in September alone that year went 131, 129, 109, 124, 131, and 133.

Woods?  Zambrano?

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes, those couple of years in Chicago he overused pitchers but after that it wasn't as much as people liked to think he did. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Edit-Update. Went back and looked. Woods had 14 starts in 2003 where he had over 120 pitches....and wasn't necessarily the best pitcher mechanics wise either.

Funny how we all talk about pitch counts and things like that about today's pitchers.  Was watching MLBN and they did a story on Whitey Ford and how he started around 40+ games a year.  In one of the world series he and Sandy Koufax both started on 2 days rest and pitched 8 innings.  They never talked about how many pitches they pitched in a game.  

To me today we see way more injuries to pitchers than we did back then and those players were not in as good as shape as today's players are.  I see the biggest difference is that a lot of pitchers today ar emore throwers than pitchers and it is just about being able to throw 98 MPH as log as you can.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

came over here figuring this had already been posted.  Whitey Ford died today.  Never saw him pitch, but I read a lot of baseball history in my youth and knew all about Whitey.

Dang, it's been a tough year.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30078282/hall-famer-whitey-ford-new-york-yankees-all-wins-leader-dies-age-91

In the last couple of months baseball has lost Seaver, Gibson,Ford and Brock and I think there are a couple more that I can't think of.

Archived