2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, rico said:

What year did he have his stroke/blood clot?

July 30, 1980.  (I cheated and looked it up!).  He tried to come back, but the stroke had taken too many things away.  He kicked around in the minors, but he was eventually released.  Unfortunately his life just kept going downhill with divorces and business failures.  He wound up destitute.  He became involved with a Church and became a minister. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just saw that and came here to post.  76 years old and has not managed in 9 years.  If I were the Sox management, I think I would look elsewhere.

Per MLBTR....

MLBTR’s Anthony Franco recently published a refresher on how the qualifying offer system works, including the key details about draft pick compensation and how the QO is a one-time application.  For the latter, this is why major free agents like Marcell Ozuna and Nelson Cruz aren’t included in this list, as both players have been tagged with the QO in past trips through the free agent market.

This post will focus on the position players who could be plausible candidates to receive qualifying offers…

Easy Calls: J.T. Realmuto (Phillies), George Springer (Astros), DJ LeMahieu (Yankees)

Along with Reds ace Trevor Bauer, these are the clear-cut stars of the 2020-21 free agent class.  All will receive qualifying offers from their respective teams, and all will reject the offers since lucrative long-term contracts surely await on the open market.

Of the players who could become free agents if their teams decline their 2021 club options, Anthony Rizzo seems like the only reasonable QO candidate, but the Cubs are almost a lock to exercise their $16.5MM option on his services.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What in the world happened, I just turned on the Dodgers and Braves and the score is 11-0 Dodgers in the bottom of the first.

I'd say those 5 pesky home runs got in the way. Stupid Dodgers. They should walk, sacrificed to second and score on a single by Tommy Herr. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd say those 5 pesky home runs got in the way. Stupid Dodgers. They should walk, sacrificed to second and score on a single by Tommy Herr. 

I don't think I have ever said not to hit homeruns.  What I don't like is a team like the Reds who rely on it to much to score runs.  When you hit them then you have days like the Dodgers are tonight but if you aren't then you don't score.

Also talking about Atlantas pitching giving up more runs in one inning than they did in the first 7 games of the playoffs

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think I have ever said not to hit homeruns.  What I don't like is a team like the Reds who rely on it to much to score runs.  When you hit them then you have days like the Dodgers are tonight but if you aren't then you don't score.

Also talking about Atlantas pitching giving up more runs in one inning than they did in the first 7 games of the playoffs

Just having fun. I actually am more in line with small ball than Earl Weaver line of thinking.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Part of me feels bad for Kershaw but I guess that's what playoff baseball is about and separates the regular season greats and playoff greats. 

Just saw a stat where Kershaw has the highest ERA in MLB postseason history for pitchers with over 100 innings in playoffs.

With all that said he is now 11-12 in the play-offs career wise.  2-1 this year.  With a career ERA of 4.31.  His IP is 177.1 with 146 hits.  Not too shabby.

Archived