2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems to be our mantra this off season. See if we can just the hit jackpot on aging arms or bats. Certainly can happen but typically it's not the best strategy. 

I call it the George Allen approach...

Might work for a short period of time, but those veterans can fall off the cliff real fast...

At least we aren't mortgaging the future to get them...

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Similar to Mookie. Both will be free agents after season. Angels/Maddon starting to put together some bats and talent around Trout. 

I am also seeing multiple players might be heading to the Angels in the Pederson deal?

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I call it the George Allen approach...

Might work for a short period of time, but those veterans can fall off the cliff real fast...

At least we aren't mortgaging the future to get them...

Yep. I don't mind kicking the tires at all when it's cheap. Jed said catching lightning in a bottle is what they kind of had to do with pen and team last season and this off season. Hope it works.

Didn't take long. After Betts deal Kaplan is saying multiple NL teams have now called Cubs for Bryant. Problem is coming off two seasons with injuries and reduced numbers I'm not sure if the highest return is available. Might make sense now (as others have said here) just to play him and hope production goes back up and trade after that?? Very, very tough call with up and downside to each strategy.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't take long. After Betts deal Kaplan is saying multiple NL teams have now called Cubs for Bryant. Problem is coming off two seasons with injuries and reduced numbers I'm not sure if the highest return is available. Might make sense now (as others have said here) just to play him and hope production goes back up and trade after that?? Very, very tough call with up and downside to each strategy.

Better to trade him with 2 years of service than wait until next year when he will be a year from free agency.  It is not like Boston got a great return for Betts since the Dodgers will only have 1 year of service for him.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Better to trade him with 2 years of service than wait until next year when he will be a year from free agency.  It is not like Boston got a great return for Betts since the Dodgers will only have 1 year of service for him.

That's been my position since October regarding Bryant but just depends on return. I'm not going to just dump him. What the Red Sox owners did last night in that move was pure BS. Trade one of  your best players since Ted Williams to just dump salary and tell your fans sorry? This could be quite the time in Boston/New England. Red Sox go back to bottom and Pats lose Brady. Haha

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's been my position since October regarding Bryant but just depends on return. I'm not going to just dump him. What the Red Sox owners did last night in that move was pure BS. Trade one of  your best players since Ted Williams to just dump salary and tell your fans sorry? This could be quite the time in Boston/New England. Red Sox go back to bottom and Pats lose Brady. Haha

As a Reds fan I have seen a lot of bad trades the last few years because we traded the players at the wrong time.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm hoping the Braves want to get off a couple of young arms they have (Anderson, Wright, Mueller) in their farm system.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I got to say it..."one of your best players since Ted Williams..."  I think Yaz is in there somewhere between then and now!  But I see what you are saying.  It wouldn't be the 1st time a future HoFer got traded for no return.  The Bosox should know that all too well.  Jeff Bagwell anyone?

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I got to say it..."one of your best players since Ted Williams..."  I think Yaz is in there somewhere between then and now!  But I see what you are saying.  It wouldn't be the 1st time a future HoFer got traded for no return.  The Bosox should know that all too well.  Jeff Bagwell anyone?

Trust me Yaz was thought of....Mookie is really, really good and one of the best young talents to come along in decades. There's a reason Theo was in on him early. The part that makes me laugh is the study of neuroscouting where Mookie was off the charts. This article kind of touches on it....but Theo used this to identify Mookie in high school. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/how-mlb-teams-are-using-neuroscience-to-try-to-gain-a-competitive-advantage/

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why not...hell I'm surprised we haven't brought Whitey Ford in for a workout...

LOL...but I was actually being serious about Sal.  I think he could work for the Cubbies especially at Wrigley.  Romano, at one time, was destined to become an end of the rotation starter for Cincy.  He is just the odd man out right now as he is out of options.

33 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL...but I was actually being serious about Sal.  I think he could work for the Cubbies especially at Wrigley.  Romano, at one time, was destined to become an end of the rotation starter for Cincy.  He is just the odd man out right now as he is out of options.

We'll, he could fight with Mills, Cotton, Alzolay, and Chatwood for that 5th spot, or long relief...

Like the scouting report...up to 98 mph on the fastball...+slider...developing change up

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We'll, he could fight with Mills, Cotton, Alzolay, and Chatwood for that 5th spot, or long relief...

Like the scouting report...up to 98 mph on the fastball...+slider...developing change up

He is a big guy.  I truly believe the Reds would have liked to keep him.

Archived