2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I had to stop reading. 14 playoff teams and 3 game series. l really get nervous at the thought of who might be employed at MLB offices. I have a hard enough time with the 5 game sets but 3?? 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I had to stop reading. 14 playoff teams and 3 game series. l really get nervous at the thought of who might be employed at MLB offices. I have a hard enough time with the 5 game sets but 3?? 

7 playoff teams per league.  There are seasons when there are not 7 teams with a winning record in the same league.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

7 playoff teams per league.  There are seasons when there are not 7 teams with a winning record in the same league.

I had to look it up...there were 7 last year in the AL, 8 in the NL.  So Boston and Cleveland would have made it.  And the Mets and D-backs...the Cubs would have been left out.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I had to look it up...there were 7 last year in the AL, 8 in the NL.  So Boston and Cleveland would have made it.  And the Mets and D-backs...the Cubs would have been left out.

In the AL in 2017, two teams with 80-82 records would have got in.

Are they trying to make the regular season less important? With the exception of maybe 8-9 teams MLB already has an attendance problem. I think they are floating this out there just to see what the public says but if this plan ever came to fruition. It basically make the longest regular season of any sport less important. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Are they trying to make the regular season less important? With the exception of maybe 8-9 teams MLB already has an attendance problem. I think they are floating this out there just to see what the public says but if this plan ever came to fruition. It basically make the longest regular season of any sport less important. 

TV$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my opinion, but the attendance problem is due to the fact that even if you go ultra cheap, a family of 4 is going to drop minimum $100 (and I mean nose bleed seats, no refreshments, and parking in the "not going to promise you won't get towed" parking lots).

My wife and I went to 1 Cubs/Astros game last year, and dropped a ridiculous amount of money...probably had my old man spinning like a top in his grave...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just opinion, but the attendance problem is due to the fact that even if you go ultra cheap, a family of 4 is going to drop minimum $100 (and I mean nose bleed seats, no refreshments, and parking in the "not going to promise you won't get towed" parking lots).

My wife and I went to 1 Cubs/Astros game last year, and dropped a ridiculous amount of money...probably had my old man spinning like a top in his grave...

Understand. Love my Cubs but I only go to 6-7 games per year now. Just for myself I can drop $300 for tickets, parking, beer, food, tips, tolls, gas for one game at Wrigley from Indy...or I can spend $40 when they come to Cincy. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Theo's retort

A bit of a difference in the two takes...

Yep...and honestly I hope this story has a shelf life of 3 seconds. I've got many more concerns over this team in the now...not worried about interpreting history. Still no leadoff hitter, still no 2nd baseman (unless Kipnis finds fountain of youth), question marks for consistent production in all outfield spots and back end of starting rotation along with bullpen. Otherwise....team and lineup is ready to go. Haha

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...and honestly I hope this story has a shelf life of 3 seconds. I've got many more concerns over this team in the now...not worried about interpreting history. Still no leadoff hitter, still no 2nd baseman (unless Kipnis finds fountain of youth), question marks for consistent production in all outfield spots and back end of starting rotation along with bullpen. Otherwise....team and lineup is ready to go. Haha

Yeah, just chatter fodder for the boys and girls at NESPN (National Enquirer Sports Programming Network)...

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, just chatter fodder for the boys and girls at NESPN (National Enquirer Sports Programming Network)...

There will be a time when I'm actually interested in their dynamic. It's the greatest Cubs run ever....it's natural to be curious. Right now though I have many concerns over our team so my objectivity in speaking on Theo/Joe would be a tad slanted because right now...Theo is the only one around still.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I like him too. Little fun fact...he grew up on same block as Bartman. 

Bartman...

You know, I've gotta hand it to Steve. He could have cashed in big time for what he went through...but, he didn't...

If it was me, I might have accepted the offer to throw out the first pitch in 2017, wore the World Series ring the Cubs generously gave him on my middle finger, and after throwing the pitch, showed it to the crowd...

Archived