2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, rico said:

I also saw where they were delaying the start of the season by at least 2 weeks.

Governor of Illinois came out and said he didn't want any home games with fans until at least May....he said he was told by all teams they have their support. So either Cubs will be playing in an empty Wrigley or baseball might not get started several weeks. Strange, strange times.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Manfred is doing a call right now. Some GM's are saying might be July before games start. 

NBA is talking about June before they could start so I would guess baseball would be about the same.  The problem with baseball you would have to go at least a month of spring training again to get ready for the season.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I have always thought that the baseball season is way to long so maybe a 80 game season would be entertaining to watch.

I'm not opposed to it....given half of Cubs bats don't heat up until June anyway this delay might help things. Joking aside for baseball and all other things. If the worst thing we do during these times is overreact. Good. We'll rebound quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not opposed to it....given half of Cubs bats don't heat up until June anyway this delay might help things. Joking aside for baseball and all other things. If the worst thing we do during these times is overreact. Good. We'll rebound quickly. 

This has kind of helped the Reds because it was unknown if Suarez would have been totally healthy for the start of the season.

From MLBTR...

Within a span of 37 days back in the 2015-16 offseason, the Cubs granted $184 million to Jason Heyward and the Orioles committed $161 million to Chris Davis. Four seasons in, these have become two of the worst free agent contracts in recent memory.

1 hour ago, rico said:

From MLBTR...

Within a span of 37 days back in the 2015-16 offseason, the Cubs granted $184 million to Jason Heyward and the Orioles committed $161 million to Chris Davis. Four seasons in, these have become two of the worst free agent contracts in recent memory.

And if people remember more money was offered by other organizations for Heyward including his own. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-cubs/why-jason-heyward-chose-cubs-over-cardinals

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting tidbit this morning in this article. Especially years of service as it relates to free agency and how the players aren't opposed to doubling up games to get season in so they earn $ and year of service. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28951069/mlb-union-weighing-variables-related-potential-restart-season

Wonder if they'll do it like the old days and just let fans pay one price for 2 games, or the relatively newer day/night soak em twice way... 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wonder if they'll do it like the old days and just let fans pay one price for 2 games, or the relatively newer day/night soak em twice way... 

My guess is the latter for ballparks that fill up regularly but if MLB goes this route some owners would be wise to do the prior. Especially at the concessions too. I know they can't offer great deals or values all season but a little Atlanta Falcons concession prices would go a loooooooooong way for some of the MLB teams and their fans.

Archived