2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

Just now, rico said:

Or....no fans in Wrigley.

Yep. I'm going to run out of gas in saying the same thing but what an absolute shame. Even if they had shortened season it would have many watching on tv because once the season started each game would actually count. You wouldn't have 162 to figure things out. 60 game shootout would be awesome for TV and yet it looks like nada....

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I'm going to run out of gas in saying the same thing but what an absolute shame. Even if they had shortened season it would have many watching on tv because once the season started each game would actually count. You wouldn't have 162 to figure things out. 60 game shootout would be awesome for TV and yet it looks like nada....

Sit back and watch NASCAR and golf.....

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just got finished watching the 1978 Reds vs Cardinals game where tom Seaver threw his only no hitter.  It was great seeing the Reds greats playing and being able to hear Marty and Joe again.  Another thing I did not hear at al was about pitch counts, shifts or launch angles.

But, the game was played on artificial turf.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Sit back and watch NASCAR and golf.....

I've been watching more NASCAR this year than I have in years.  Used to watch religiously, but got tired of it about 10-15 years ago.  Now, since it's been the only game in town, I'm scheduling around it again.  

On 6/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, IUFLA said:

So I just finished watching "Long Gone Summer."

I agree with Bob Costas...the records from that era are inauthentic.

I've come to grips with the fact that 98 was probably a necessary evil to bring old fans back and grow new fans after the 94 strike. And I think Selig knew it from the beginning.

Both McGwire and Sosa were unapologetic. Hey, if you guys want to wear a phony Rolex, go right ahead. You'll never get a real one. And you'll never be inducted into the HOF.

And, the filmmaker never asked what I think was the most important question they could have...

In the end, what does the Maris family think about McGwire and Sosa stealing their father's legacy? They had Roger Jr on, but never asked.

Sosa was never a favorite Cub of mine. Too much "look at me!" I hated "the hop" and all of the kissing gestures. He hasn't been asked back to Wrigley in a decade, and I hope they never do.

Phony Rolex indeed...

In the life can change fast department. Addison Russell signed with a team in South Korea it sounds like. Set to make $530k. 5 years ago he was a rising All Star that had huge playoff run to help deliver WS title to Cubs now scrambling for his passport and reinvent himself. 

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In the life can change fast department. Addison Russell signed with a team in South Korea it sounds like. Set to make $530k. 5 years ago he was a rising All Star that had huge playoff run to help deliver WS title to Cubs now scrambling for his passport and reinvent himself. 

Funny how things work out.  Addison's career eerily mirrors that of Craig Worthington minus all the transactions.  

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Boy there's a name I forgot. What happened to him? Just first round bust or other issues?

IIRC he was 4th for the RoY with a stellar season and then tanked.  Spent time with different organizations after the O's.

Back to Russell, if only the Cubs would have traded him when it was thought he would be a superstar.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

IIRC he was 4th for the RoY with a stellar season and then tanked.  Spent time with different organizations after the O's.

Back to Russell, if only the Cubs would have traded him when it was thought he would be a superstar.

Yep. Kind of a catch 22 for Cubs/Theo. He drafted so well the problem became who and why and when do you unload guys? Hindsight and all it's the toughest thing to do for GM's is to figure out ways to break ties with guys who helped deliver a title. We have about 3-4 of those situations. Don't envy the position Theo is in. You have upcoming contracts with Bryant, Rizzo is desperate for cash, Schwarber, Heyward....have Javy for a couple more years but might be smart to buy now. Not to mention in aging pitching rotation. 

I really don't know the answer because the talent is there to win and win playoff series right now....but do you just let the contracts run it's course and get nothing back or start dumping and rebuild for another window starting in 2021/22?

30 minutes ago, rico said:

In hindsight, of course, I wish the Cubs would have traded Russell rather than Torres for Chapman...but Torres, as much potential as he had, was still in high A ball at the time I think.

Russell did have a good 2016 from a run production standpoint...And you can't overlook the big post-season he had in 2016...

The Cubs definitely had the middle infield covered between Baez, Zobrist, and LaStella (another guy we should have held onto...and got zilch for).

I think the whole domestic abuse incident/divorce really screwed Russell up mentally. Maybe one of the times I would have told the kid to go see a shrink...

Sounds like players voted against recent proposal and Manfred is going to go ahead and implement a season starting around July 26th and last 54-60 games. Assuming he has the power to do so. Such a shame...players obviously don't want to be there and Manfred has to do right by the owners. Not the outcome we envisioned at all. Troubled times ahead.

Ugh, oh no.  With the new labor deal coming up, this does not bode well for baseball.  It is the most tone deaf of all sports.  The two sides have so much mistrust between them.  It’s as if they get too emotional to rationally split the pie.  

I was a huge fan in ‘81 and that strike was kind of stressful for fans.   The ‘94 thing was probably the dumbest thing I’ve seen in sports.  I actually toned down my fandom after that.  Like I just didn’t care.  After about 10-12 years, I came back, but not to the point I was pre-94.

If they have a highly contentious negotiation and maybe even a strike or lockout, they risk alienating the young fans.  That’s already a problem for them.  Who knows how many  young Willie Mays’s and Hank Aaron’s are turning into college football players or whatever?  There could be a backup defensive back for Nick Saban that might have been a star baseball player of only he had any interest in it.  

Conversation in the year 2100

Child:  "Grandpa, tell me that story again about when there used to be something called baseball"

Grandpa:  "It was a game they used to play back in the old days.  In fact, it used to be called the National Pastime.  But, about 120 years ago, it began to destroy itself.  Players started to go on strike when they disagreed with the team owners.  Then, there was this big drug scandal.  Finally, in 2020, the year of the big Coronavirus pandemic, the players and owners squabbled about, of all things, how many games to play.  Can you imagine that?  Fighting over a few games?  Well, anyway, the season was cancelled.  Fans decided they had enough and just stopped going to games, or even watching them on TV.  At that point, it died quickly.  By 2050, almost all of the pro teams had folded.  Without heroes to follow, kids stopped playing the sport as well."

Child:  "Do you think baseball will ever come back?"

Grandpa:  "They still play it in some parts of the world, I guess.  Places you have probably never heard of since they don't teach geography in schools any more.  But, in those places, kids play for the fun of it.  My dad and grandpa used to tell me how much fun it was, but by the time I was old enough to play, the game was already being destroyed.  Maybe kids in America can bring it back, and maybe it should stay that way, as a child's game.  If they tried to make it a business again, the same thing would probably happen."

Child:  "I think it would be cool if it did come back.  Could you teach me?  Oh, and one more thing.  You said something about a TV.  What's that?"

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like players voted against recent proposal and Manfred is going to go ahead and implement a season starting around July 26th and last 54-60 games. Assuming he has the power to do so. Such a shame...players obviously don't want to be there and Manfred has to do right by the owners. Not the outcome we envisioned at all. Troubled times ahead.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/06/22/mlb-owners-unanimously-vote-to-implement-2020-season/

Archived