2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

35 minutes ago, rico said:

Hope it happens. When 2 sides dislike each other as much as these two do anything could happen to delay or cancel. My question is this. Besides health concerns is there anything we aren't seeing that could allow players side to not report?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like there will be baseball this summer.  They have agreed to 60 game season where they will play 40 games against teams in your division and 20 games against the Al.  Say the Refs will play 40 games against the NL Central and 20 games against the AL Central.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like there will be baseball this summer.  They have agreed to 60 game season where they will play 40 games against teams in your division and 20 games against the Al.  Say the Refs will play 40 games against the NL Central and 20 games against the AL Central.

"Everything" we need to know...

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/06/24/the-details-of-how-the-2020-baseball-season-will-be-played-are-intense/

Really hope baseball happens but I'm still in the I'll believe it when I see it mode. 30 days is forever during these times. Interesting talk on radio yesterday about will this season have an asterisk next to whoever wins. Initially I thought sure a little....but the more I thought about it I say no. No one remembers Dodgers title in 81 being shortened or Joe Gibbs/Redskins in 82/83. Titles are titles.

Two things that make me optimistic for the Cubs chances...

60 games on our aging starting pitchers will hopefully be right about the time they're all finding their groove...Jon Lester in particular was terrible the last 2 months...the Cubs woes the last 2 years down the stretch won't happen in a 60 game season...

And with the advent of the DH in the NL (🤮) we have the ability to play Kyle Schwarber in that spot and let a more capable defender man LF...I'll wager he'll be one of the better DHs in the game, in either league...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Two things that make me optimistic for the Cubs chances...

60 games on our aging starting pitchers will hopefully be right about the time they're all finding their groove...Jon Lester in particular was terrible the last 2 months...the Cubs woes the last 2 years down the stretch won't happen in a 60 game season...

And with the advent of the DH in the NL (🤮) we have the ability to play Kyle Schwarber in that spot and let a more capable defender man LF...I'll wager he'll be one of the better DHs in the game, in either league...

Interesting article from yesterday on Cubs/DH. 

https://670thescore.radio.com/emma-designated-hitter-committee-most-sense-chicago-cubs 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting take...

As far as "serviceable" LFs go, I always like to figure in range... believe me, I love Schwarber, but a defensive outfield of Happ, Almora, and Heyward can cover a lot of ground...

I'm not saying Kyle will be the DH every game, but when all is said and done, I fully expect him to have the most games in that slot...you have to play a guy with that kind of game changing power as much as you can...

I think our lineups will be a little more "stable" with Ross at the helm...you know I was never a big fan of Maddon's constant lineup shuffling...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Interesting take...

As far as "serviceable" LFs go, I always like to figure in range... believe me, I love Schwarber, but a defensive outfield of Happ, Almora, and Heyward can cover a lot of ground...

I'm not saying Kyle will be the DH every game, but when all is said and done, I fully expect him to have the most games in that slot...you have to play a guy with that kind of game changing power as much as you can...

I think our lineups will be a little more "stable" with Ross at the helm...you know I was never a big fan of Maddon's constant lineup shuffling...

Haha....I know you loved Maddon's lineups. I've been going back and forth with friends and really don't have an answer yet. With most rookie managers a full season or two is needed to get your core beliefs instilled. With Ross being so close to these guys I'm curious what his learning curve will be. In terms of Ross this whole season is a pass for me....probably won't be able to judge him until July/August of 21.

In terms of DH or whoever plays LF. Either way I want Schwarber's bat in there as much as possible. 1 swing changes the game and with only 60 games we don't have time to rest guys. Full throttle mode out of the gates. If we get there. 

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Well they got Castellanos, Senzel, Winker, Shogo, Aquino, and Ervin for the OF...

Not familiar with any of them beyond Castellanos (who I know isn't a Gold Glover), Senzel (not sure about his D), and Aquino (who cooled considerably in September from a hot August, and again didnt see him enough to gauge his D)...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not familiar with any of them beyond Castellanos (who I know isn't a Gold Glover), Senzel (not sure about his D), and Aquino (who cooled considerably in September from a hot August, and again didnt see him enough to gauge his D)...

They got plenty of options.

On 6/24/2020 at 9:02 AM, Seeking6 said:

Really hope baseball happens but I'm still in the I'll believe it when I see it mode. 30 days is forever during these times. Interesting talk on radio yesterday about will this season have an asterisk next to whoever wins. Initially I thought sure a little....but the more I thought about it I say no. No one remembers Dodgers title in 81 being shortened or Joe Gibbs/Redskins in 82/83. Titles are titles.

What does everyone think the odds are that there actually is a season this year? I put it at about 50-50...as you mentioned, I could still see this getting derailed before it gets off the ground. A good friend of mine is convinced that football won't happen either. I would put pro football at about 60% chance of happening...

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

What does everyone think the odds are that there actually is a season this year? I put it at about 50-50...as you mentioned, I could still see this getting derailed before it gets off the ground. A good friend of mine is convinced that football won't happen either. I would put pro football at about 60% chance of happening...

Baseball still has me concerned. Football not a concern at all. Maybe not packed stadiums but the games will be played. I think people are starting to come around with the idea that our new normal is just dealing with this virus as best we can.....not shutting everything down,etc...

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Baseball still has me concerned. Football not a concern at all. Maybe not packed stadiums but the games will be played. I think people are starting to come around with the idea that our new normal is just dealing with this virus as best we can.....not shutting everything down,etc...

I wish I was as optimistic as you are about football...I can't imagine fall without a football season, as this summer has been strange enough without baseball, but I am just not convinced they will be able to play this season. I hope I am wrong and they figure it out. My best guess is they will play (NFL), but the season will be altered/shortened. It seems like it has been forever since I watched IU in the Big ten tourney...

1 hour ago, rico said:

I've thought South Bend would factor into this equation at some point. I don't know the current gathering rules in Illinois but I know Indiana is allowing more so maybe that's the reason. I still haven't heard a thing on Wrigley. They refunded season ticket holders $. Some ideas have been floated at 20% capacity.

Archived