2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My oldest daughter was 6 weeks old (she's 36 now) and it was the first time I was trusted to watch her by myself while my wife went out with her mom shopping.

Great game to watch and a great day in Cubs lore...

I also like rewatching this game because hearing the old NBC announcers.  I was not a Cubs fan but I watched the game because back then you would only see one game a week.  Until I got cable the only game you saw was the Saturday game of the week or the few games where channel 4 would show a Reds game.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I also like rewatching this game because hearing the old NBC announcers.  I was not a Cubs fan but I watched the game because back then you would only see one game a week.  Until I got cable the only game you saw was the Saturday game of the week or the few games where channel 4 would show a Reds game.

Just catching up on this. Same here. I think besides Cubs/Cards and what Sandberg did....it was also game of the week like you mentioned. Whole country was watching Bruce get lit up. Can see that game like it was yesterday. Confirmed Sandberg was and was going to be my favorite Cub of all time.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just catching up on this. Same here. I think besides Cubs/Cards and what Sandberg did....it was also game of the week like you mentioned. Whole country was watching Bruce get lit up. Can see that game like it was yesterday. Confirmed Sandberg was and was going to be my favorite Cub of all time.

1984 was a magical season...until October...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

1984 was a magical season...until October...

First time I cried in sports. There's a scene in Breaking Away where the Dad wakes up in bed saying refund, refund,etc....I will wake up to seeing Garvey's arm up and ball getting past Durham forever. After depantsing them in Chicago no way in the world I thought we lose 3 straight.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

First time I cried in sports. There's a scene in Breaking Away where the Dad wakes up in bed saying refund, refund,etc....I will wake up to seeing Garvey's arm up and ball getting past Durham forever. After depantsing them in Chicago no way in the world I thought we lose 3 straight.

Me either...

The other regular season game I remember well is the game when Pete Rose, playing for the Expos (yes...the Expos...served him right) hit a liner off Lee Smith's leg that went to the shortstop who threw to first to double off the runner...Harry said "Even the Good Lord wants the Cubs to win!"

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Me either...

The other regular season game I remember well is the game when Pete Rose, playing for the Expos (yes...the Expos...served him right) hit a liner off Lee Smith's leg that went to the shortstop who threw to first to double off the runner...Harry said "Even the Good Lord wants the Cubs to win!"

Haha! Yep. The great memories during the 80's were so few and far between can remember them all!

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Got home just a little bit ago and found two exhibition baseball games on.  The Yankees and Mets are playing on ESPN2 and on MLB is the Pirates and Indians.  Had no idea any teams were playing these games and have no idea if the Reds are playing any

I saw a highlight of a guy hitting a homerun with a mask on.

As baseball starts up this week this is going to be such a strange and weird journey this season. First off I hope we have one and it's completed. Second off as a fan I have to remind myself these players are humans too....very well paid humans but still humans.

I'll have to remind myself of that because going into this season I could see several, several players deciding to maybe start playing but leaving if there's a breakout. Doesn't matter whether I agree with that position or not. Now I just have to figure out which service to stream that will have Marquis network in Indy....and not restricted by any baseball rules since we are considered a Cincy market.

Just looking at my guide on Xfinity and I noticed that Fox Indiana is showing the Cardinals instead of the Reds.  This really upsets me because there are a lot more Reds fan in central Indiana than there are Cardinals fans.  This is the only channel I can watch the Reds on because when they are on national TV they seem to black it out.

Just looked at Fox Sports Midwest web site nd they show that they are showing all Red games but my guide doe snot show it.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just looking at my guide on Xfinity and I noticed that Fox Indiana is showing the Cardinals instead of the Reds.  This really upsets me because there are a lot more Reds fan in central Indiana than there are Cardinals fans.  This is the only channel I can watch the Reds on because when they are on national TV they seem to black it out.

Just looked at Fox Sports Midwest web site nd they show that they are showing all Red games but my guide doe snot show it.

A map that shows the most popular baseball team by county...

original.jpg

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Season starts tonight and Toronto still doesn't have a home. I guess they don't have home games until 7/31 so still time to figure things out but geez. Either Blue Jays front office is so inept or they were caught blindsided by other powers. 

I do believe they got blindsided by the gov't.  Seems that hockey was deemed OK.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Season starts tonight and Toronto still doesn't have a home. I guess they don't have home games until 7/31 so still time to figure things out but geez. Either Blue Jays front office is so inept or they were caught blindsided by other powers. 

Here is an article....

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/06/20/still-to-be-determined-where-blue-jays-play-in-2020/

Archived