2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds claim INF Robel Garcia off waivers from the Cubs.  Can the Cubs fans on here tell me much about this guy because these highlights looks pretty good.  Was wondering why the Cubs put him on waivers.

Kipnis, Hoerner and  a couple others will be playing in front of him. I liked him coming up. Biggest issue....low contact skills. When he connects he hits but Theo likes guys that consistently make contact. I still think he could be a player down the road. No clue on Reds situation. Here covid is rolling with them.....maybe it was a just in case signing.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds claim INF Robel Garcia off waivers from the Cubs.  Can the Cubs fans on here tell me much about this guy because these highlights looks pretty good.  Was wondering why the Cubs put him on waivers.

I honestly don't know a ton about him, except he was tearing up AA-AAA pitching if I remember correctly, but struck out a ton against major league pitchers. He is 27, so maybe they gave up on him at the major league level? Maybe some other Cub fan knows more details about him...that's all I got.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Kipnis, Hoerner and  a couple others will be playing in front of him. I liked him coming up. Biggest issue....low contact skills. When he connects he hits but Theo likes guys that consistently make contact. I still think he could be a player down the road. No clue on Reds situation. Here covid is rolling with them.....maybe it was a just in case signing.

They sent him down to where the others are training

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They sent him down to where the others are training

Makes sense. I think he could be durable and potentially a good utility player. I think this year every team is scrambling for depth. To me this makes sense for the Reds. Knows the pitchers (kind of) in the division. Or at the very least has watched all of them go. To me he's the guy who will hit a 3 run shot to win a big game (Ian Happ) but go 2-23 when the team loses 5 of 6. Just one of those in between guys.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Well he will fit right in because it seems like most of baseball can be described like him.  Players with power but can't make contact

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Makes sense. I think he could be durable and potentially a good utility player. I think this year every team is scrambling for depth. To me this makes sense for the Reds. Knows the pitchers (kind of) in the division. Or at the very least has watched all of them go. To me he's the guy who will hit a 3 run shot to win a big game (Ian Happ) but go 2-23 when the team loses 5 of 6. Just one of those in between guys.

Well you guys claimed Dietrich off waivers from us so it is like a trade

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I have no clue of his day to day....but he's always been like a Dykstra guy to me. Not a bad addition to our dugout honestly. Need a tad bit of fire.

Well early last year Dietrich was great hitting 18 home runs but after the all star break he only hit one.  He never hit for great average but after the break he batted .085

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Garcia started off hot last year hitting .333 through his first 11 games (27 ABs) but went 7 for his last 49 to fall to .208...Struck out in almost half of his ABs (35 out of 72)...

Major league pitchers find your weaknesses really quickly, and word travels fast...

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Garcia started off hot last year hitting .333 through his first 11 games (27 ABs) but went 7 for his last 49 to fall to .208...Struck out in almost half of his ABs (35 out of 72)...

Major league pitchers find your weaknesses really quickly, and word travels fast...

Isn't that the truth....and Javy still loves to chase low away first pitch slider. For the life of me I won't understand pitchers who choose to challenge him inside. Low away, low away, low away....until (still hasn't) he consistently stays away from those that's all he'd be getting from me. 

First road games during covid times and Reds seems to have multiple guys out for start of our series. No clue what to expect tonight. I laughed but thought about it....Contreras said after game he's bringing all of his own sheets, pillows,etc...on every road trip this year.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Ayden loves hideous unis but he thinks they look good. 

Then Ayden would have loved the uniforms I wore in an 18, 19, and 20 year old league I played in in the late 70s. Sambo's Restaurant was our sponsor, and the unis were the knit pullovers that were the rage at the time. Brown body, Orange sleeves and pants with white pinstripes on them. Orange caps with a brown bill...Good thing I loved playing baseball so much...

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Then Ayden would have loved the uniforms I wore in an 18, 19, and 20 year old league I played in in the late 70s. Sambo's Restaurant was our sponsor, and the unis were the knit pullovers that were the rage at the time. Brown body, Orange sleeves and pants with white pinstripes on them. Orange caps with a brown bill...Good thing I loved playing baseball so much...

yes he would. His favorite or second favorite were the shorts wore by the white sox. 

Here's my thing. I want to keep this thread on baseball if we can but guess what. Players/coaches are going to be tested positive. It's our new time. Quarantine and resume. 

My problem is with MLB protocols and the how/why they let Miami play yesterday. NFL better being taking on notes on what MLB is doing....and do the exact opposite.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's my thing. I want to keep this thread on baseball if we can but guess what. Players/coaches are going to be tested positive. It's our new time. Quarantine and resume. 

My problem is with MLB protocols and the how/why they let Miami play yesterday. NFL better being taking on notes on what MLB is doing....and do the exact opposite.

If cancelled games are not made up, the season becomes a farce.  As it is, when you have Miami, one of the worst teams to begin with, lose 50% of their major league roster, the level of competition they will be able to provide will not be adequate and teams that play them will be racking up extra wins, which could impact the playoff races as well.  

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If cancelled games are not made up, the season becomes a farce.  As it is, when you have Miami, one of the worst teams to begin with, lose 50% of their major league roster, the level of competition they will be able to provide will not be adequate and teams that play them will be racking up extra wins, which could impact the playoff races as well.  

Yep....and to that I say this is your 2020 season. Going to be a tons of "unfair" things over the next 100 days. Just better to roll with it. If it's something that can be controlled that's a different thing but to your original point about season becoming a farce. Yep. Just have to go with it. Nothing will be normal about MLB, Football and probably college hoops.

I hope this is just a bad start by the Reds but after tonight they probably will be 1-3.  I was expecting a lot more from the Reds and was very disappointed in going 1-2 against the Tigers.  They should have swept the Tigers and they let two games slip away.  After a two hour delay now I wish they would have just called the game because giving up 6 runs in two innings gives you about no hope to win this game.  Also with so many guys out this lineup does not look great tonight.  There 5-7 hitters tonight is Aquino, Colon and Farmer so it is not like a murderous row.

Lester has a no no going and Ross pays him a visit in the 5th. 76 pitches right now. Curious what will happen. He let Hendricks go a little deep on opening day. Even with the no hitter going I think any signs of trouble in 6th you grab the guy. Even though a shortened season is a sprint you have to manage all the arms. Especially the seasoned guys.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lester has a no no going and Ross pays him a visit in the 5th. 76 pitches right now. Curious what will happen. He let Hendricks go a little deep on opening day. Even with the no hitter going I think any signs of trouble in 6th you grab the guy. Even though a shortened season is a sprint you have to manage all the arms. Especially the seasoned guys.

<Gasp!> Henry Bennett! :D

HB.PNG

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Reds not looking good tonight and Miley is pitching terrible.  What don't make sense to me is Bell takes out starters are who pitching great but is leaving in a pitcher who has given up 6 runs in an 1.2 innings.

Don't give up hope, Scott...You're into our bullpen, so anything is possible...Dan Winkler is pitching more like Henry Winkler...walked the first 2 he faced with a 7 run lead...for Christ sake let em hit the damned ball...just throw strikes!

Archived