2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nats vote not to play in Florida v. Marlins.  That series postponed this week-end.

Phillies v. Bluejays series postponed.

Cards v. Brewers game today postponed.

I don't see how the Marlins and Tampa Bay can stay in this summer.  What sane player would want to go to Florida to play?

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

Nats vote not to play in Florida v. Marlins.  That series postponed this week-end.

Phillies v. Bluejays series postponed.

Cards v. Brewers game today postponed.

I don't see how the Marlins and Tampa Bay can stay in this summer.  What sane player would want to go to Florida to play?

As much as I have loved watching some games this week, I don't know how MLB can possibly keep thigs going if a shutdown has to occur with every positive test.  The Marlins thing is just crazy.  But, the Phils have really been put in a tough spot with all the makeup games they will have, and they have not even had a player test positive yet.  Their positive tests were a clubhouse guy and a coach.  And, now we have to wonder how the Cardinal players caught the virus.  MLB can only postpone/cancel so many games before it becomes total chaos.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

As much as I have loved watching some games this week, I don't know how MLB can possibly keep thigs going if a shutdown has to occur with every positive test.  The Marlins thing is just crazy.  But, the Phils have really been put in a tough spot with all the makeup games they will have, and they have not even had a player test positive yet.  Their positive tests were a clubhouse guy and a coach.  And, now we have to wonder how the Cardinal players caught the virus.  MLB can only postpone/cancel so many games before it becomes total chaos.

Baseball should have tried playing in a bubble like the NBA is doing because traveling around the country is to dangerous.  I would say just play in the spring training sites in Arizona would be the best way of doing things.

Boy do I hate the shift in baseball.  Reds down 3-2 in the 7th with runners on 1st/2nd and no outs.  he 8th place hitter is a career .230 hitter and a right hander so they had the 2nd baseman pulled way around. Of course he hits a high hopper right where the 2nd baseman should have been but it was a single to score a run.  What is bad is that the 1-6 hitters for Detroit is 1-14 but the 7-9 hitters is 5-7 and 4 RBI's

Well it has taken 8 days for the Reds to turn into a clown show.  Now are 1-3 against the Tigers who lost 114 games last year and looked terrible doing it.  Votto after the first two games has been horrible and all he did today was ground out to the right side 3 times.  Suarez is 2-25 this year so that is your 2 and 3 hitters not being productive.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Baseball should have tried playing in a bubble like the NBA is doing because traveling around the country is to dangerous.  I would say just play in the spring training sites in Arizona would be the best way of doing things.

At one point, that was on the table.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't choose to go that route since no fans at games anyway...

Could it be lack of media technology at spring training parks?  I wouldn't think so, but it makes no sense not to have done that.  Of course that is looking in the rearview mirror.

Cubs are 5-2. 2nd best start in NL and most if not all of our fans are waking up angry. 6-1 game last night and Kimbrel serves up back to back dongs in relief. It certainly did Maddon in last couple of years and now Ross is going to deal with it. At one time on paper Strop, Morrow, Kimbrel to go 7,8, and 9 looked as good as any on paper. Now? Have fun trying to rebuild a bullpen during these times.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs are 5-2. 2nd best start in NL and most if not all of our fans are waking up angry. 6-1 game last night and Kimbrel serves up back to back dongs in relief. It certainly did Maddon in last couple of years and now Ross is going to deal with it. At one time on paper Strop, Morrow, Kimbrel to go 7,8, and 9 looked as good as any on paper. Now? Have fun trying to rebuild a bullpen during these times.

Encouraged by Darvish's start...6 IP 2 H 1 BB 0 ER 7 Ks...But it was the Pirates...

3 hours ago, rico said:

Could it be lack of media technology at spring training parks?  I wouldn't think so, but it makes no sense not to have done that.  Of course that is looking in the rearview mirror.

With the NBA and hockey doing a "bubble" I just don't understand why MLB chose to go this route. I'm not sure what the NFL will implement....but hopefully they learn from MLB. Of course with the Cubs off to a great start the season will probably be cancelled.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The bullpen thing drives me crazy. It seems as though in many instances it is more luck than great planning to have an effective bullpen. I wouldn't change things since they won a world series in part due to it, but I was a little surprised with the trade for Aroldis Chapman back in 2016 without locking him up to a contract extension. I seem to remember the Cubs could have traded for Andrew Miller before that for Schwarber....at least the Cubs would have had him for 2.5 years of control. I guess what I'm trying to say is I miss having a shut down closer.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

The bullpen thing drives me crazy. It seems as though in many instances it is more luck than great planning to have an effective bullpen. I wouldn't change things since they won a world series in part due to it, but I was a little surprised with the trade for Aroldis Chapman back in 2016 without locking him up to a contract extension. I seem to remember the Cubs could have traded for Andrew Miller before that for Schwarber....at least the Cubs would have had him for 2.5 years of control. I guess what I'm trying to say is I miss having a shut down closer.

As an outside it seems like the Cubs has not built a balance team.  it seems like all 8 position players are about the same style of player.  To me for the Cubs to be their best they need to have the middle of the lineup to be 3- Bryant, 4 Rizzo, 5 Baez, 6 Contreas, 7 Schwarber?.  If you had guys who could get on base and have speed in front of those guys it would make for a better lineup.  To me you need to trade a few of those Outfielders to gain some balance like trading Schwarber or Happ.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As an outside it seems like the Cubs has not built a balance team.  it seems like all 8 position players are about the same style of player.  To me for the Cubs to be their best they need to have the middle of the lineup to be 3- Bryant, 4 Rizzo, 5 Baez, 6 Contreas, 7 Schwarber?.  If you had guys who could get on base and have speed in front of those guys it would make for a better lineup.  To me you need to trade a few of those Outfielders to gain some balance like trading Schwarber or Happ.

Cubs haven't had a true leadoff hitter since Fowler. I remember back in the day the daily double of Bobby Dernier and Ryno always batting 1-2...that was a good combo.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Cubs haven't had a true leadoff hitter since Fowler. I remember back in the day the daily double of Bobby Dernier and Ryno always batting 1-2...that was a good combo.

A few weeks ago I was watching the 84 Cubs game against the Cardinals and Dernier OBP in the 1st inning was incredible. At that time he was like 30-56 in the 1st inning.

8 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

With the NBA and hockey doing a "bubble" I just don't understand why MLB chose to go this route. I'm not sure what the NFL will implement....but hopefully they learn from MLB. Of course with the Cubs off to a great start the season will probably be cancelled.

It would be a lot harder for the NFL and MLB for several reasons.

First, is roster size.  MLB is 26 and actually higher in the emergency.  NFL is 40(?).  Roster size a problem for two reasons.  One is you have to have a "bubble" that can handle that many people.  Another is that there is likely to be more chance for spread with this many people close together.

Second, is playing field.  Football and baseball fields of sufficient quality may be difficult to find in a place that can also handle roster size.

5 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yes, bullpens are crazy!  There's just no telling what will happen.  But the Cubs did pretty well break up their pen.  I think it was probably necessary because several the key pieces had lost their confidence for multiple reasons.  That's the most important thing in my opinion about relievers.  They need great confidence.  If they have a bad night, they have to put it behind them and be ready the next night.  If they lose confidence, they start trying to be "perfect" which just make things worse.

Chapman clearly a "loan".  Cubs were never going to able to sign him.  He was there as a shut down reliever.

Glad Cubs didn't trade Schwarber for Miller.  He had bad knees, and he never really regained his previous effectiveness.

Archived