2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think inter-league play as a whole has lost its appeal...I always liked the mystique of the All Star game, and 2 teams that haven't seen each other on the playing field in the World Series...

But I'm just a grouchy old guy...

GET OFF MY LAWN...Haha. I actually hate inter league play...even the Cubs/Sox. I didn't even like it when they started it, and I went to some of the cub/sox games back in the day. I am still irritated with the NL having DH this season and considering implementing it full time.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

GET OFF MY LAWN...Haha. I actually hate inter league play...even the Cubs/Sox. I didn't even like it when they started it, and I went to some of the cub/sox games back in the day. I am still irritated with the NL having DH this season and considering implementing it full time.

Sadly, you better get used to that DH.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well the Reds lost a game they had pretty much in control. The top of the 9th Reds Left the bases loaded so if they would have scored there it would probably be over.  Still wish the managers would keep in guys who were pitching well instead of having to put your closer in. Sims and Garrett pitched two great innings of relief striking out five of six batters.  Why not keep a guy in who you know is pitching well.  It is not like Iglesias has been a lights out closer the last couple of years.

Their first two runs were gift-wrapped by 2 errors unfortunately. Luckily Molina brought us back. 

On a side note, why do players still try to steal on Molina? Doesn’t make sense haha. Even after not playing for like a month he still gunned down Galvis with ease. 

52 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

On a side note, why do players still try to steal on Molina? Doesn’t make sense haha. Even after not playing for like a month he still gunned down Galvis with ease. 

He's only at 33% (54 for 159) since 2016...he's not been in the MLB top 10 in caught stealing percentage since 2015...

Link

That's why...

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's only at 33% (54 for 159) since 2016...he's not been in the MLB top 10 in caught stealing percentage since 2015...

Link

That's why...

Is there any disclaimer about having to have caught a certain number of innings? I saw Phegley on there a few times but he’s never been a full-time starter. A lot of those guys aren’t even full-time starters. 

Last year, only 30 stolen base attempts against him in 113 games. Realmuto had 92 against him. Even with Yadi not being in the top 10 the last few years, only 136 stolen base attempts occurred (from 17-19) in 366 games. Guys are still afraid of Yadi and rightfully so. I would be too of a future HOFer. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is there any disclaimer about having to have caught a certain number of innings? I saw Phegley on there a few times but he’s never been a full-time starter. A lot of those guys aren’t even full-time starters. 

Last year, only 30 stolen base attempts against him in 113 games. Realmuto had 92 against him. Even with Yadi not being in the top 10 the last few years, only 136 stolen base attempts occurred (from 17-19) in 366 games. Guys are still afraid of Yadi and rightfully so. I would be too of a future HOFer. 

My thing is why Galvis trying to steal because he is not very fast.

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

His percentages by year since 2016

2016-21%

2017-36%

2018-31%

2019-27%

And, just so you can cop a semi...😁

2020-100%

So, no, he hasn't been "feared" for a few years now...I hate being the saltpeter to your man-crush, but Yadi just ain't what he once was...

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

His percentages by year since 2016

2016-21%

2017-36%

2018-31%

2019-27%

And, just so you can cop a semi...😁

2020-100%

So, no, he hasn't been "feared" for a few years now...I hate being the saltpeter to your man-crush, but Yadi just ain't what he once was...

If he ain’t what he once was, why aren’t more guys trying to steal off of him? You’d think they’d be trying him a lot more but the attempts against are still extremely low so he’s still doing a great job of controlling the base runners. And obviously I’m biased haha. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If he ain’t what he once was, why aren’t more guys trying to steal off of him? You’d think they’d be trying him a lot more but the attempts against are still extremely low so he’s still doing a great job of controlling the base runners. And obviously I’m biased haha. 

One thing teams does not use the run game much at all so it is just not against Molina

23 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One thing teams does not use the run game much at all so it is just not against Molina

What Scott said...

What is bad is the Reds are wasting their best starting rotation in years.  Bad hitting plus terrible bullpen is a bad recipe for winning baseball games.  2 of our 5 starters are free agents after the year in Bauer and Disco plus Castellanos can opt out after the year so they will be back to starting over again.

I don't know if it is their scouting department or player development but the Reds just  don't develop their own players very well.  They have had 3 top 5 picks in the last 6 years and Senzel is the only one who has done anything at the major league level.  Does this lineup looks like a contender with these batting averages.

Votto- 230

Castellanos- .253

Winker- .339

Suarez- .156

Moustakas- .241

Aykiyama-.219

Van Meter- .059

Galvis- .239

Barnhardt- .186

12 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cards gave that game away unfortunately. It happens. 

It was not like you guys scored on a lot of hits. You scored one on a bases loaded walk and another one on a force out.  When there are 6 runs combined on only 5 hits it is not like either team was hitting the ball all over the field.

Just can't believe how bad the Reds offense has been this year.  With the signings of Castellanos and Moustakas to go with Saurez I thought would from a very good middle of the lineup.  Saurez has been horrible the whole year and after a hot start Castellanos has been slumping big time.  Moustakas has missed some time but has not been great when he has been in the lineup.  Also we have a manager who thinks he invented the game of baseball and thinks he will out smart the other manager.  He juggles the lineup to much and worries to much about lefty/righty matchups and does start the same lineup on a daily basis.

So far in the first 3 games of the Cardinal series the Reds have scored 8 runs on 14 hits.  4 of those runs came on a grand slam and that was the only hit of that inning.

Archived