2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

New the offense was bad but they are hitting .213 for the season

Cubs aren't much better at .225....Maddon used to get banged on for plenty of wrong reasons the same way Ross is now. When you core guys aren't daily hitters anymore you don't have a chance over the long haul. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rico said:

sox.jpg

Taking it to us in every aspect. Their lineup looks like our 2015 team. Our lineup is hitting right now like we have in 2018, 2019, and now 2020. Baez is a complete mess. Bryant's hurt. Rizzo acts like he's batting .320 not .220 and my man Schwarber seems intent on eating his way out of the league.

But today is a new day. Great thing about baseball. No time to dwell. Try to get a win today before 10 straight vs Detroit, Reds, and Pirates. Chance to get some stuff figured out before September.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Taking it to us in every aspect. Their lineup looks like our 2015 team. Our lineup is hitting right now like we have in 2018, 2019, and now 2020. Baez is a complete mess. Bryant's hurt. Rizzo acts like he's batting .320 not .220 and my man Schwarber seems intent on eating his way out of the league.

But today is a new day. Great thing about baseball. No time to dwell. Try to get a win today before 10 straight vs Detroit, Reds, and Pirates. Chance to get some stuff figured out before September.

The Cubs are 23rd in hitting, and 17th in overall pitching...not much to like about that...

Maybe they can improve over the shortened year, but my skepticism is rapidly overtaking my optimism...

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Cubs are 23rd in hitting, and 17th in overall pitching...not much to like about that...

Maybe they can improve over the shortened year, but my skepticism is rapidly overtaking my optimism...

Always remember the only stat that matters is W-L

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs aren't much better at .225....Maddon used to get banged on for plenty of wrong reasons the same way Ross is now. When you core guys aren't daily hitters anymore you don't have a chance over the long haul. 

I think when teams just rely scoring runs on homeruns you will have a lot of long droughts. Teams don't manufacture runs any longer r use the running game so you will see low scoring games.  I think they said so far this year that it is a record low for the amount of singles that have been hit.

33 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I just want to reiterate that I was on the record for thinking cubs should have traded Bryant during offseason. Same ol same ol.

I think in normal times he would no longer be a Cub right now. This whole year has a thrown a serious wrench into long term plans. First thing first though. He's got to get healthy and produce. After that we'll see what Theo thinks is the best way. If the Cubs keep sputtering around getting to the playoffs but early exits like the past few years I'm not opposed to a reload or rebuild for a season that would set us up for the next run. 

I know some of it has to be being a Reds fan but man baseball is getting boring to watch.  There is just not much activity in the game at all right now. Mainly K's, Walks or homeruns and not much besides those things.  Looking at the lineup for todays reds/Cardinals game there are only 4 guys batting above .250.  There are 4 guys batting under .200 so players are not putting the ball in play much.

Well I guess there is a first time for everything.  I had never seen this called on a 3-2 pitch the ball hit Winker elbow but the ump said he leaned into it and it was a strike. 3.  This Reds offense is just becoming comical with them now down 6-2 in the 8th and now  the Reds have 9 hits the last 3 games.  Lately the bullpen has been a lot better and the starters has been good all year but you can't win getting 3 or 4 hits a game.

I went back to 1980 to 2020 and just looked at the league batting average per year.  Noticed from 80-209 the lowest batting average was .256 and the highest was .272.  Since 2010 there has not been a year where batting average was above .255 with the low last year at .242

Only the Reds organization would look to hire a manger with this record as a minor league manager.  This is David Bells career as a minor league manger.  I know you can't judge a minor league manager just on the win/loss record but this record is terrible

2009 Peoria 14-18

2009 Carolina 65-74
2010 Carolina 58-79
2011 Carolina 53-86
2012 Louisville 51-93

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Only the Reds organization would look to hire a manger with this record as a minor league manager.  This is David Bells career as a minor league manger.  I know you can't judge a minor league manager just on the win/loss record but this record is terrible

2009 Peoria 14-18

2009 Carolina 65-74
2010 Carolina 58-79
2011 Carolina 53-86
2012 Louisville 51-93

Much like college sports. Have to have all arms on same page. Ownership, coaches, players....I think the Reds have 1 of the 3. Ownership finally tried to do something but I won't give them a hat tip. Players are there. Coaches? Still plenty to be desired....but as a Cubs fan I'm enjoying because when Castellanos wants to opt out he can come back to the 312

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

2009 Peoria 14-18

2009 Carolina 65-74
2010 Carolina 58-79
2011 Carolina 53-86
2012 Louisville 51-93

Only 18 losses in a season?  Hell, the 27 Yankees lost 44.  :coffee:

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Much like college sports. Have to have all arms on same page. Ownership, coaches, players....I think the Reds have 1 of the 3. Ownership finally tried to do something but I won't give them a hat tip. Players are there. Coaches? Still plenty to be desired....but as a Cubs fan I'm enjoying because when Castellanos wants to opt out he can come back to the 312

Well Castellanos is only batting .235 right now and with the the shortened season I don't know if anyone would opt out.  Hearing that free agency money will not be very plentiful this year.

I think the Reds problems come from scouting and player development.  They had plenty of top draft picks and so far none had become a star yet.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If the season ended today (don't you just hate it when people say that?) and it was a simple 1-8 seeding for the NL playoffs, it would be 

1 Dodgers vs 8 D-backs

2 Cubs vs 7 Rockies

3 Braves vs 6 Marlins

4 Padres vs 5 Cardinals

If there is any justice in the world, the Cardinals and Marlins will not make the playoffs.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If there is any justice in the world, the Cardinals and Marlins will not make the playoffs.  

If there was any justice in MY world, the Cardinals would NEVER make the playoffs and the Marlins wouldn't have 2 WS Championships...

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well Castellanos is only batting .235 right now and with the the shortened season I don't know if anyone would opt out.  Hearing that free agency money will not be very plentiful this year.

I think the Reds problems come from scouting and player development.  They had plenty of top draft picks and so far none had become a star yet.

I'll take Castellanos in 5 seconds.

Well, the Cubs avoid a sweep at the hands of the Sox (Darvish was awesome), but how do the Cubs let Jose Abreu hit 6 homers in a series?

Don't pitch to him if he's that hot...Or at least knock him on his duff and make him uncomfortable...

But, I guess that's "old time" baseball...

I thought the Reds would have a good chance to win tonight because been have Bauer going tonight.  In 4 games he had given up 2 runs in 26 innings.  Tonight he has already given up 3 runs in 3 innings.  The Reds offense so far is horrible and had hit into 3 double plays and they are down 3-0.

I know we discussed on here many times about how baseball is played and how the shift is hurting the game.  They are having this discussion on the Reds board right now.  Most on there does not like how the offense is all home runs and walks or K's.  Also they feel that the shift has caused a lot of how batters approach hitting.  Instead of just hitting the other way batters are just trying to hit home runs or hit through the shift.

The last 32 innings the Reds have played they have scored only 6 runs and all of those runs came in 2 innings.  Friday they hit a grand slam for their 4 runs.  Saturday they were shutout and yesterday they hit a two run homer in the 1st and had not scored since. Tonight after 5 they are down 4-0.

Archived