2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I think Trevor will be able to command 1 year $30M deal this off season from someone. Since the Cubs don't like to hit....I'd take Darvish, Bauer, and Hendricks and roll the dice next year.

I 100% guarantee if he takes a 1 year deal the Reds will match just about any offer. They won't let him go to the Cubs unless he is just dead set on that. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I 100% guarantee if he takes a 1 year deal the Reds will match just about any offer. They won't let him go to the Cubs unless he is just dead set on that. 

Understand and money usually wins over anything but in this case I feel like Bauer is starting to think about titles/legacy,etc.....so he'll probably choose a team that he believes has the best chance of winning a title next year. I don't believe that's the Reds....and if the Cubs blow things up like I think they will I don't think it will be us either.

He's a LA kid. I imagine if one of the local teams chased hard he'd go there. If I were a pitcher the Dodgers and Padres lineups look awful attractive.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand and money usually wins over anything but in this case I feel like Bauer is starting to think about titles/legacy,etc.....so he'll probably choose a team that he believes has the best chance of winning a title next year. I don't believe that's the Reds....and if the Cubs blow things up like I think they will I don't think it will be us either.

He's a LA kid. I imagine if one of the local teams chased hard he'd go there. If I were a pitcher the Dodgers and Padres lineups look awful attractive.

There is more to it than that with Bauer. There are a lot of teams he won't consider based on the way those teams develop and teach pitching. The Reds fit him perfectly in that aspect plus I've said it before but Derek Johnson and Kyle Boddy will play a big factor as long as the money is close. If the Reds can fix the timely hitting they aren't far off. 

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Reds Offseason to do list

1) Sign Trevor Bauer

2) Aquire a SS on a 1 or 2 year deal and let Garcia start in AAA (Gregorious, Simmons, or Semien)

3) Upgrade the catcher spot with Tyler Stephenson

4) Figure out the OF situation

5) Have a defensive first baseman on the roster

They need to upgrade CF, LF, SS, C and get at least one more quality LH relief pitcher

1B) Votto- actually needs to be a DH if they keep the rule

2B) Moustakas

SS) ?

3B) Suarez

LF) Shogo ?

CF) Senzel ?

RF) Castallnos- if he does not opt out

DH- Winker if the keep the rule

C) Stephenson ?

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think he will go to either the Padres or Angels or stay with the Reds.  The one advanatage the Reds have is that Bauer's pitching trainer is the pitching cordinator for the Reds.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

They need to upgrade CF, LF, SS, C and get at least one more quality LH relief pitcher

2B) Moustakas

SS) ?

3B) Suarez

LF) Shogo ?

CF) Senzel ?

C) Stephenson ?

I say:

1B  Suarez

2B  Senzrel

SS  ?

3b  Moose

C   Stephenson

The OF can be played however and Winker needs AB's

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I say:

1B  Suarez

2B  Senzrel

SS  ?

3b  Moose

C   Stephenson

The OF can be played however and Winker needs AB's

I know Winker had that hot streak but I am still not sold on him being a full time starter.  After he hit those homeruns he started to think he was a big power hitter.  I don't know how many times he swung so hard he fell to the grown.

Just now, rico said:

Easy Scott!

My objection isn't even over being old school...

It's about "dumbing down" another sport to make it more "understandable" and "exciting."

The strategy of the game is being lost to some people's craving of offense which as of now is a homer or a K.

I've always loved the nuances of baseball...and they're being negated, little by little... 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

2B) Moustakas

SS) ?

3B) Suarez

LF) Shogo ?

CF) Senzel ?

C) Stephenson ?

I agree Votto should be the DH but CF and LF aren't changing. SS needs to find at least a one year upgrade and C is Stephenson plus a veteran backup. 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My objection isn't even over being old school...

It's about "dumbing down" another sport to make it more "understandable" and "exciting."

The strategy of the game is being lost to some people's craving of offense which as of now is a homer or a K.

I've always loved the nuances of baseball...and they're being negated, little by little... 

Sorry, but the DH needs to stay. Nobody wants a pitcher to get hurt while batting and they usually strikeout. It also allows some players to extend their careers and it's stupid that the AL is the only league that gets that benefit. 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Sorry, but the DH needs to stay. Nobody wants a pitcher to get hurt while batting and they usually strikeout. It also allows some players to extend their careers and it's stupid that the AL is the only league that gets that benefit. 

Your opinion...I disagree...

The only people I know who want the DH in both leagues don't totally understand the game and the strategy within it very well...Using injury as an excuse is lame...They can get injured in a myriad of ways on a baseball field, including getting hit by a foul ball into the dugout. 

And there have been some very good hitting pitchers...as for the strikeouts, seems to me the everyday players are making quite the habit of that...A couple by the pitcher doesn't matter one way or the other...

Bobby Bonds set a strikeout record in 1970 with 189...It was broken in 2004 (Adam Dunn)...Since then it has been surpassed 31 times...Yeah, buddy...exciting baseball...

I don't think the DH is going away. 

I am somewhat disappointed in the Reds like everyone else. They picked by even the experts as trendy picks. They seem like a young team with some nice vets and a great staff if they can keep Bauer.   I'm not saying don't make any changes but I hate to see them panic with some of the young guys based on a strange 60 game season that included 2 spring trainings and no minor leagues and a few rules experiments. 

At this point I am more disappointed with Bell who has not impressed me at all and the coaching the staff. The hitting was just atrocious.  

58 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I don't think the DH is going away. 

I am somewhat disappointed in the Reds like everyone else. They picked by even the experts as trendy picks. They seem like a young team with some nice vets and a great staff if they can keep Bauer.   I'm not saying don't make any changes but I hate to see them panic with some of the young guys based on a strange 60 game season that included 2 spring trainings and no minor leagues and a few rules experiments. 

At this point I am more disappointed with Bell who has not impressed me at all and the coaching the staff. The hitting was just atrocious.  

I don't think the DH is going away anytime soon myself, Doesn't mean I have to like it.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

How do we know is isn't developed?  Hell, he's hardly on the field

I just see these other organizations like the Padres and the Braves bring guys up who contribute right away and become stars.  On the other hand the Reds guys they draft high seem to not come through the organization very quickly if at all.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just see these other organizations like the Padres and the Braves bring guys up who contribute right away and become stars.  On the other hand the Reds guys they draft high seem to not come through the organization very quickly if at all.

Or they have already been traded away...

Archived