2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, rico said:

I would say the Cubs are the Reds to a tee.

Neither is a fun game to watch unless they are hitting homers.  At first today when I turned the Cubs/ Marlins game I thought I was watching a Classic baseball game.  The Marlins got a single and then stoled second base.  The batter then tried to bunt the runner to 3rd but walked anyway

Baseball is a game of trends. From stadiums, to uniforms, to play on the field, if one does it, others fall in line.

So I wondered how long it's going to be before someone goes back to a "traditional" lineup with speed at the top, and 3-4-5 where you put your power hitters, and you "manufacture" runs if you're not hitting. Where you bunt down the third or first baseline until they get out of those shifts and employ stolen bases, bunts, and the good old hit and run.

But I came to the conclusion that that is never going to happen. It's all about power in both hitting and pitching. Kids hit the weights and build bulk because "chicks dig the long ball." Kids who can bulk up and throw 95 + don't learn how to pitch.

Use to be, you had guys hitting 40+home runs AND hitting over .300. Where are those guys now? Why, after the taint if the steroid era, aren't people approaching 60 home runs if players are bigger and stronger without roids?

Baseball is getting boring to me. All the "dead air" of strikeouts is ruining it. The all or nothing approach sucks.

If it was up to me, they'd move all outfield walls back 20 feet, and the pitchers mound would be 66' 6". And quit all the pearl clutching over the length of the game. For God's sake, for the high price I paid to get in, I want to soak up some sun, and relax with a few cold ones.

Rant over...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Baseball is a game of trends. From stadiums, to uniforms,  but I think most lineupse goes back to a "traditional" lineup with speed at the top, and 3-4-5 where you put your power hitters, and you "manufacture" runs if you're not hitting. Where you bunt down the third or first baseline until they get out of those shifts and employ stolen bases, bunts, and the good old hit and run.

But I came to the conclusion that that is never going to happen. It's all about power in both hitting and pitching. Kids hit the weights and build bulk because "chicks dig the long ball." Kids who can bulk up and throw 95 + don't learn how to pitch.

Use to be, you had guys hitting 40+home runs AND hitting over .300. Where are those guys now? Why, after the taint if the steroid era, aren't people approaching 60 home runs if players are bigger and stronger without roids?

Baseball is getting boring to me. All the "dead air" of strikeouts is ruining it. The all or nothing approach sucks.

If it was up to me, they'd move all outfield walls back 20 feet, and the pitchers mound would be 66' 6". And quit all the pearl clutching over the length of the game. For God's sake, for the high price I paid to get in, I want to soak up some sun, and relax with a few cold ones.

Rant over...

I remember when i started really to watch baseball in the late 70's that if a guy hot 30 homers it was a big season.  I have  not did the research but I think most batters in a lineup would at least hit .260 or above.  You might have that light hitting SS who only was there for there defense.  The other day I wanted to watch an old Reds game with Tom Seaver so i found one against the Expos.  I think  it was 82 and the Reds lineup was not great but no hitter hit less than .250.  This year the Reds only had 1 batter who9 played reguarly that hit over .250

OK since most of us on here that the off season has started and we all are complaining about our team or the game itself.  I wanted to know if you were the commisoner of baseball what would you do to help the game of baseball. Here is mine

1) Implement a clock in between pitches to 20 seconds

2) Stop batters stepping out of of the box after every pitch to adjust their gloves.

3) limit the amount of pitching changes to 5 in a game-  Yesterday I turned on the Sox/A's game and it was the 4th inning and the Sox was already on their 5th pitcher.  It is obvious that the rule about a pitching having to pitch to 3 batters has not helped.

4) no more shifts- only two infielders on each side of second.  I hate when teams put an infielder in short left field like slow pitch softball.  The thing is that it hurts the Reds more than it helps because I saw a lot of weak grounds balls that the infielder couldn't come in and get.

5) Move back the mound

6) Move the fenses back

7) I would eliminate the DH rule but that will never happen.

Look at the stats to see the difference in stats and see how the game changed every 10 years.                

1980-  .265. 3087 homeruns, 3294 steals, 23583 strikeouts, 13852 walks

1990- .258, 3317 homeruns, 3290 steals, 23583 strike outs, 13582 walks

2000- .270, 5693 homeruns, 2924 steals, 31356 strikeouts, 18237 walks

2010- .257, 4613 homeruns, 2954 steals, 34306 stikeouts, 15778 walks

2019- .251, 6776 homeruns, 2280 steals, 42823 strikeouts, 15859 walks

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

OK since most of us on here that the off season has started and we all are complaining about our team or the game itself.  I wanted to know if you were the commisoner of baseball what would you do to help the game of baseball. Here is mine

1) Implement a clock in between pitches to 20 seconds

2) Stop batters stepping out of of the box after every pitch to adjust their gloves.

3) limit the amount of pitching changes to 5 in a game-  Yesterday I turned on the Sox/A's game and it was the 4th inning and the Sox was already on their 5th pitcher.  It is obvious that the rule about a pitching having to pitch to 3 batters has not helped.

4) no more shifts- only two infielders on each side of second.  I hate when teams put an infielder in short left field like slow pitch softball.  The thing is that it hurts the Reds more than it helps because I saw a lot of weak grounds balls that the infielder couldn't come in and get.

5) Move back the mound

6) Move the fenses back

7) I would eliminate the DH rule but that will never happen.

As I said, I agree with 5, 6, and 7. But I've never worried about "speeding up the game." I like going to games. If they run a bit long, so what? 

And the pitching changes aren't a big deal either. It makes roster management and field management count for something. I saw Whitey Herzog manage up close for a number of years, and though I didn't root for the Cardinals, I LOVED the way he managed. He was masterful at managing the game, especially the pitching staff. I never saw him get put in a situation where another manager had forced him into a bad move, like Ross getting outmanaged by Mattingly today and having to give up the DH (as distasteful as that was to say).

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, I agree with 5, 6, and 7. But I've never worried about "speeding up the game." I like going to games. If they run a bit long, so what? 

And the pitching changes aren't a big deal either. It makes roster management and field management count for something. I saw Whitey Herzog manage up close for a number of years, and though I didn't root for the Cardinals, I LOVED the way he managed. He was masterful at managing the game, especially the pitching staff. I never saw him get put in a situation where another manager had forced him into a bad move...

That is a "catch-22" with the speed of the game.  The long game you want vs. TV viewers.

1 minute ago, rico said:

That is a "catch-22" with the speed of the game.  The long game you want vs. TV viewers.

With the short attention span of today's world, maybe you're right...

But snoozing through 20 Ks for a couple of dingers when you could be enjoying the excitement of daring base running and spectacular defensive plays? No contest in my book...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And the pitching changes aren't a big deal either. It makes roster management and field management count for something. I saw Whitey Herzog manage up close for a number of years, and though I didn't root for the Cardinals, I LOVED the way he managed. He was masterful at managing the game, especially the pitching staff. I never saw him get put in a situation where another manager had forced him into a bad move, like Ross getting outmanaged by Mattingly today and having to give up the DH (as distasteful as that was to say).

To me it is about the pace and not the amount of time the game is played in.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I think it was '77 where Foster led the NL in HR's and ribbys, and also finished 3rd in BA.

As for what I want from a batter is RBI's, great batting average, OBP.  I see some of these guys with like 45 himeruns but only 80 RBI's and that is just not very productive hitter to me.  I also saw the team BA for 2020 was .245 but since it was just a 60 game season I did not look at any other stats for this year.  To me the object of the game is to score runs so I want guys who are reliable with runners on base.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

With the short attention span of today's world, maybe you're right...

But snoozing through 20 Ks for a couple of dingers when you could be enjoying the excitement of daring base running and spectacular defensive plays? No contest in my book...

Totaly agree with you on this but I just wish the pace of the play is a little quicker.  If I am at the ball park i don't care how long the game takes.  I just want to see action in that amount of time and not so much down time.  it just drives me crazy watching players step out after every pitch to adjust their gloves.

Also I think the shift has taken out the spectacular defensive plays by SS and 2nd baseman out of the game.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, for all of the run scoring mania, the modern day record for runs by a team in a season belongs to...

The 1931 New York Yankees with 1,067...

Analytics indeed...

I just want it go back to be just playing a game and not put so much importance on stats or analytics.  It is to sterile environment now and has taken all ther personality out of the game.   Everybody wants everything so perfect and have an answer for everything.  That is why I hate replay because it takes the arguments between managers and umps out of the game for the most part.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In college basketball I always go back to why is scoring and shooting down today if the analytics makes the game more effecient.

Well, for one thing, Dr Naismith's original rules didn't allow for defensive mugging on every possession

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, for one thing, Dr Naismith's original rules didn't allow for defensive mugging on every possession

I am not talking a bout then but just since I started watching in the late 70's.  All the rules pretty much indicate that scoring should be up today because of the 30 second clock and the 3 point line.  Also if all you shoot is 3's and layups you would think you should score more.

Archived