Hunter out?

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What I heard was thigh contusion

And given last year's injury/illness/condition, that's more serious than it normally would be. Not season threatening, but they're going to be much more cautious than they normally would be for a bruise on the thigh and are 100% correct in doing so.

50 minutes ago, Bob said:

It is apparently obvious that we play much harder in practice then we do in games. Seems like every game someone’s isn’t available because of and injury they are dealing with. 

This is a little bit of a different situation. 

Normally, a bruise on the leg isn't a huge deal.  It's not even a sign of practicing too hard.  Bruises happen. 

It was never confirmed, but by all described symptoms, Hunter was out last year with a deep veinal thrombosis (DVT), which is an abnormal blood clotting condition that forms in the leg.  One of the causes of this condition is prior injuries or trauma to the veins in the leg.  Part of the treatment is being on blood thinners.  Hunter is probably no longer on the blood thinners, but with a history of DVT likely being caused by contact and injury, this won't be treated like a normal bruise on the thigh. 

If it were anyone else on the team at the moment, yeah, it's a "rub some dirt on it and get back out there" injury. 

59 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is a little bit of a different situation. 

Normally, a bruise on the leg isn't a huge deal.  It's not even a sign of practicing too hard.  Bruises happen. 

It was never confirmed, but by all described symptoms, Hunter was out last year with a deep veinal thrombosis (DVT), which is an abnormal blood clotting condition that forms in the leg.  One of the causes of this condition is prior injuries or trauma to the veins in the leg.  Part of the treatment is being on blood thinners.  Hunter is probably no longer on the blood thinners, but with a history of DVT likely being caused by contact and injury, this won't be treated like a normal bruise on the thigh. 

If it were anyone else on the team at the moment, yeah, it's a "rub some dirt on it and get back out there" injury. 

This...a contusion isn’t anything that a coach is doing wrong. Or most likely anyway. Consistent overuse injuries is another story.

I was a distance coach for 16 years. Took a lot of pride in developing our training in a balance that maximized performance and minimized injuries. Ran everything we did by people much smarter than me including trainers, sports orthos, etc.

after years of doing the same program which was built for gradual development of adolescents, we had a stretch of 8 stress fractures in two years by girls. Previous 5 years had had two spread out. People rightly started questioning “are you pushing too hard? Doing too much?” Justified questions. I made another round to all my back pocket experts and all said “this is so odd but it has to be an anomaly.” To ease everyone’s minds I said we made a few tweaks the next year. We really didn’t.

went another 7 years with one. For those of you who don’t know, female distance running is the heat rate of injury in sports (all over use).

my point is sometimes it’s the coach, sometimes it’s bad luck. Water finds its level if you’re doing things right.

i don’t see anything to be concerned about so far with Archie in that area. I had tons of concerns with the previous coach (look I didn’t use his name!)

but what do I know I’m just some former HS coach. 😂 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think it is that players don't play hurt like they use to.  It is one thing to have an injury and not play but in today's culture you don't play unless you are close to 100%

I like to call it the AAU mentality. Players are conditioned to not give their best effort, because they have to conserve their energy for the 3-4 games later that day. When you get used to operating at 60-70%, it can be hard to abandon that mindset. 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

I like to call it the AAU mentality. Players are conditioned to not give their best effort, because they have to conserve their energy for the 3-4 games later that day. When you get used to operating at 60-70%, it can be hard to abandon that mindset. 

I also blame AAU for the mentality that losses don't hurt players like it use to because they play so many games in the summer.  In AAU if you lose a game their is always another one in a couple of hours.

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is an interesting concept.  

57 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Maybe players just aren't as tough as what they use to be.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think it is that players don't play hurt like they use to.  It is one thing to have an injury and not play but in today's culture you don't play unless you are close to 100%

In some cases, I'd agree with you. In this particular case with Hunter, you're both dead wrong. Read my post about DVT above. A bruise on the leg for 99% of the population is nothing. A bruise for someone that has had this condition (which can reoccur) is something moderate to monitor.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

In some cases, I'd agree with you. In this particular case with Hunter, you're both dead wrong. Read my post about DVT above. A bruise on the leg for 99% of the population is nothing. A bruise for someone that has had this condition (which can reoccur) is something moderate to monitor.

And thigh contusions can be deep or not deep, severe, moderate or mild. But hey players today are 1) worse, 2) wimps and 3) self-centered right? Good grief 

17 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Was not talking about Hunter just players in general especially in pro sports

40 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And thigh contusions can be deep or not deep, severe, moderate or mild. But hey players today are 1) worse, 2) wimps and 3) self-centered right? Good grief 

Although the injury did bring another old school coach to mind: Herb Brooks of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.

Line from the movie Miracle: "Bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart...candy ass"

In no way does this apply to Hunter, but I love the scene.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Although the injury did bring another old school coach to mind: Herb Brooks of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.

Line from the movie Miracle: "Bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart...candy ass"

In no way does this apply to Hunter, but I love the scene.

Hey I grew up playing hockey, I played with blood pouring out of my sleeves (literally), and all kinds of injuries— but that’s hockey lol

58 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah his injury is/was serious.  Generally I’d agree with players not being as tough but not Jerome. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think it is the coaches and medical staffs decisions.  Look at our players out on the bench, they clearly would rather be playing. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I was talking about players in General...not Hunter alone..im sure there is alot of precautions with him and rightfully so...but players are no where near as tough as what they were back in the day

Archived