Gator bowl post game

I’m a Vols football fan and IU basketball first since I was about 10 years old. Keep an eye on IU football and so happy when they do well.

Many UT fans felt this would be a blowout and I never felt that way. Most feel with a competent QB we would’ve been up 21-0 and probably not looked back, but we didn’t and IU did great at weathering the initial storm of the D and then starting to move on it. 

I LOVE IU’s coach!!! He is a class act and wow I think more great things are in store for IU. 

UT is a traditional power but is in a similar spot to IU basketball. SO similar. But recruiting is picking up big for them and soon they should be back to their position in the SEC. 

IMO if the Big Ten is going to compete and beat the SEC teams fairly consistently recruiting is going to have to change. The SEC poaches all kinds of talent from everywhere and year after year the recruiting is dominant down there. UT finished with a top 11-15 class depending on site and was 7-8th in the conference. Obviously some recruits don’t pan out but the Big has to lock itself down better and keep some more talent at home.

So impressed with IU’s grit and I felt from the few times I saw them play this is what they could do to UT. Hang in there and make things interesting, particularly if they could hang till half time. 

but again our QB position is a HOT MESS.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a great year.  I’ve said for several years that we’ve been moving towards an unprecedented depth of athletic talent in a generation.  Most fans couldn’t see it because you’d have to follow the team and it’s roster construction closely.  

We can always quibble on the margins, but the two fundamental areas we need to really make a move upward are pass rush and interior offensive line.  To take the next step, we really have to get those aspects a lot better.  

4 hours ago, bobtcat2 said:

Well, I was thinking more have the media ask them hard questions about the game at the least. 

So the degree to which coaches are "held accountable" for the actions they have control over depends on which questions the media asks (something 100% out of their control)?

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

What a great year IU had this year!  I remember most predictions being 5/7@ again hoping for 6/6 and a bowl bid! Mission accomplished!, we have raised the bar! 
I am sure after watching the film the coaches will hopefully learn what they can do better. Maybe pick up a few things that we could take from UT as how did a few things on def. 

I haven’t seen any replays ,but I think we were caught off guard on the onside kick. We didn’t have enough players up front . No one made an attempt to get the ball. The defense played great really. The offensive line struggled, Ramsey is warrior. Haven’t seen ay stats but Whop was quiet in this game. 

Last night I was thinking maybe it is time to take a break from message boards because I am tired of being surrounded by negativity.  The negativity is just getting to me and it is not healthy for anyone to surround themselves with so much negativity.  I know on here and the basketball board there are way more traffic after a tough loss than a win because people don't tend to post good thoughts.  I want to get to the point where I am happy to be able to watch a game and not let it effect my emotions and can move on..  I am a lot better than I use to be because now it does not take me long to move on from a tough loss, where before I would let it tear me up inside.

I am come to the conclusion that sport sis for entertainment and if it does not entertain you then why bother watching it.  I still love IU sports and will watch every game like I always do but I am going to try to just not let it consume me like it does.  I would think if more people would just relax and enjoy the journey instead of only looking at the destination they would be way more content with things.

Sorry for the rant but it is how I feel.

There is way more positive than negative for the game and the season. Other than Michigan and OSU we played competitive with everyone else. Good learning moments for the coaches and the players.  We return a ton of talent so hopefully next year we can get over the hump in some of these better teams.  Already looking forward to Wisconsin!

question for everyone.  Why did the officials start the clock out of a timeout before Justus missed the last kick?

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last night I was thinking maybe it is time to take a break from message boards because I am tired of being surrounded by negativity.  The negativity is just getting to me and it is not healthy for anyone to surround themselves with so much negativity.  I know on here and the basketball board there are way more traffic after a tough loss than a win because people don't tend to post good thoughts.  I want to get to the point where I am happy to be able to watch a game and not let it effect my emotions and can move on..  I am a lot better than I use to be because now it does not take me long to move on from a tough loss, where before I would let it tear me up inside.

I am come to the conclusion that sport sis for entertainment and if it does not entertain you then why bother watching it.  I still love IU sports and will watch every game like I always do but I am going to try to just not let it consume me like it does.  I would think if more people would just relax and enjoy the journey instead of only looking at the destination they would be way more content with things.

Sorry for the rant but it is how I feel.

Scott it doesn't take long here to figure out who is truly rooting for the Hoosiers.  I choose not to interact with those that seem hell bent on negativity.  The good news for you is the football season is over...the bad is we got lots of basketball left.  Happy New Year!

Guys/Gals. Yes...the last 7 minutes stung but last night was a prime time infomercial for IU and IU Football for 4 hours. Only game on nationally and people realized we were beating up UT without 5-6 starters. Trajectory of the program is squarely headed up and looking at next years schedule....I see us in Florida again. 

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Scott it doesn't take long here to figure out who is truly rooting for the Hoosiers.  I choose not to interact with those that seem hell bent on negativity.  The good news for you is the football season is over...the bad is we got lots of basketball left.  Happy New Year!

It is way worse after a basketball game and for the most part there has been more positive on the football board than not.

That was a heckuva game.  IU's halftime adjustments were brilliant.  UT was on their heels for 80% of the second half.  I'm happy for the outcome, of course...but I gained a huge amount of admiration for Ramsey.  He was such a play maker...especially as the game wore on.  

3 minutes ago, Madmaxvol said:

That was a heckuva game.  IU's halftime adjustments were brilliant.  UT was on their heels for 80% of the second half.  I'm happy for the outcome, of course...but I gained a huge amount of admiration for Ramsey.  He was such a play maker...especially as the game wore on.  

Hopefully we'll get another chance.  Obviously we feel that we just gave one away (while being down 5 starters) to a team we should beat. I'll say this that despite the last 6 minutes or so....that was a fun college football game. So many times bowl games are boring. This was a fun to watch and the fans at the game looked very engaged too. Good luck next season!

I agree with all the flaws pointed out - clock management, unpreparedness for no-brainer onside kick, missed XP, uber prevent D, etc. Painful to lose it at all. Let alone the way we did. Hopefully, those issues become areas for learning/improvement/motivation for coaches and players alike. I'm still reasonably optimistic about the direction of the program. Keep working, keep improving. Hopefully in the bowl conversation again next year. A challenge no doubt, but at least we're in position to imagine it.

I do want to give massive props to the entire program for this season's great success. Even though the criticism of not beating any winning teams can be leveled (and is obviously true), just beating teams you are expected to is historic for IU. I thoroughly enjoyed this season. Finally, I salute PR. IMO, he is without doubt this season's MVP. I don't know that he'll be the starter next season, although I'd have not problem with it. His grit, guts, and perseverance this year was the crucial ingredient - the catalyst. There are some other guys that were great, but imagine this season without Ramsey. 

4 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I agree with all the flaws pointed out - clock management, unpreparedness for no-brainer onside kick, missed XP, uber prevent D, etc. Painful to lose it at all. Let alone the way we did. Hopefully, those issues become areas for learning/improvement/motivation for coaches and players alike. I'm still reasonably optimistic about the direction of the program. Keep working, keep improving. Hopefully in the bowl conversation again next year. A challenge no doubt, but at least we're in position to imagine it.

I do want to give massive props to the entire program for this season's great success. Even though the criticism of not beating any winning teams can be leveled (and is obviously true), just beating teams you are expected to is historic for IU. I thoroughly enjoyed this season. Finally, I salute PR. IMO, he is without doubt this season's MVP. I don't know that he'll be the starter next season, although I'd have not problem with it. His grit, guts, and perseverance this year was the crucial ingredient - the catalyst. There are some other guys that were great, but imagine this season without Ramsey. 

I'll echo the same sentiments on Peyton Ramsey. No clue what the future holds for him. If I understand correctly he's eligible for grad transfer. If he feels that's best for him because staff keeps Penix as starter....so be it and I'll wish him the very best. He's earned that. He's in the 1% club....not many kids would do what he did this past season. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll echo the same sentiments on Peyton Ramsey. No clue what the future holds for him. If I understand correctly he's eligible for grad transfer. If he feels that's best for him because staff keeps Penix as starter....so be it and I'll wish him the very best. He's earned that. He's in the 1% club....not many kids would do what he did this past season. 

Like I said last night I heard him on a local Indy station before the PU game and they asked him about that possibility.  He did not come out and say no to the possibility of a grad transfer.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said last night I heard him on a local Indy station before the PU game and they asked him about that possibility.  He did not come out and say no to the possibility of a grad transfer.

Nor should he. If he decides to find starting playing time elsewhere because Penix is our guy....someone will be very lucky to have him. 2nd in offense this past season in Big 10. Playing vs the likes of Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St,etc.....not many other QB's as a transfer will have that on their resume.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nor should he. If he decides to find starting playing time elsewhere because Penix is our guy....someone will be very lucky to have him. 2nd in offense this past season in Big 10. Playing vs the likes of Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St,etc.....not many other QB's as a transfer will have that on their resume.

Do you guys still prefer Penix over him next year? Obviously Penix has the higher ceiling but he hasn’t proven he can stay healthy (a la Sindelar). Ramsey is as durable as they come. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you guys still prefer Penix over him next year? Obviously Penix has the higher ceiling but he hasn’t proven he can stay healthy (a la Sindelar). Ramsey is as durable as they come. 

Can't speak for others but I do. Penix has the extra gear and arm that Peyton just doesn't....and I'm hoping Penix learned plenty from Peyton this year.

Problem is the million dollar question as you pointed out. Can Penix stay healthy. Tough call for staff, players and players family. I'm sure the Ramsey camp feels they've earned the starting job....and I'm sure the staff is saying he sure has but Penix is our starter when healthy.

39 minutes ago, rico said:

I was hoping we could win...and maybe be in the Top 25 at the end of the year and make an appearance in the pre-season poll for next season.

Is there no chance of a preseason ranking?  We return a ton.  I think football is more closely followed by the media than the idiots making basketball polls.  

Archived