Gator bowl post game

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can't speak for others but I do. Penix has the extra gear and arm that Peyton just doesn't....and I'm hoping Penix learned plenty from Peyton this year.

Problem is the million dollar question as you pointed out. Can Penix stay healthy. Tough call for staff, players and players family. I'm sure the Ramsey camp feels they've earned the starting job....and I'm sure the staff is saying he sure has but Penix is our starter when healthy.

It’s nice having two QB’s who’ve had plenty of game experience so if you lose one, the other is ready to go. Was nice for us in Brohm’s first two years having both Blough and Sindelar. But if Ramsey were to leave and if Penix got hurt, would Tuttle be ready? We found out the hard way this year that having an inexperienced QB isn’t ideal. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Is there no chance of a preseason ranking?  We return a ton.  I think football is more closely followed by the media than the idiots making basketball polls.  

I am sure there is a chance and I would like to think there is a high probability for being ranked come August(or whenever it is).

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can't speak for others but I do. Penix has the extra gear and arm that Peyton just doesn't....and I'm hoping Penix learned plenty from Peyton this year.

Problem is the million dollar question as you pointed out. Can Penix stay healthy. Tough call for staff, players and players family. I'm sure the Ramsey camp feels they've earned the starting job....and I'm sure the staff is saying he sure has but Penix is our starter when healthy.

I like to see Ramsey stay but if he goes at least we have Tuttle who could be a good QB as well.

Just registered today so I could vent w/everyone....  such a tough loss.  I also watched almost all of the other BIG-10 teams Bowl games.  My thoughts on Gator Bowl and other Bowl games:

1.      1st off, GREAT SEASON and awesome Gator Bowl game!

2.      I’m in agreement with the earlier posts on this thread.

3.      Officiating for ALL of the Big-10 games was suspect.  Very biased against Big-10 teams.

4.      The early int. against Ramsey was an incomplete pass.  Not sure how they could miss it after watching the replay?

5.      The dive play off center was not working and IU was still running it in the 4th Qtr.?

6.      Unused time-out not used right before halftime?  There was time for a pass into endzone, IMO.

7.      We’ll call it the “Phantom Pass Interference” call that continues Tenn. drive leading to TD.

8.      Not expecting Onside kick… 

9.      Indiana player closest to onside kick didn’t appear to understand that he can go get it??  Looked like  he was also waiting for it to travel 10-yds..

10.   Lastly, the “prevent” Offense and Defense when IU is leading handily…  play to win, not to loose.

21 minutes ago, IPFW1984 said:

Just registered today so I could vent w/everyone....  such a tough loss.  I also watched almost all of the other BIG-10 teams Bowl games.  My thoughts on Gator Bowl and other Bowl games:

3.      Officiating for ALL of the Big-10 games was suspect.  Very biased against Big-10 teams.

4.      The early int. against Ramsey was an incomplete pass.  Not sure how they could miss it after watching the replay?

5.      The dive play off center was not working and IU was still running it in the 4th Qtr.?

6.      Unused time-out not used right before halftime?  There was time for a pass into endzone, IMO.

7.      We’ll call it the “Phantom Pass Interference” call that continues Tenn. drive leading to TD.

9.      Indiana player closest to onside kick didn’t appear to understand that he can go get it??  Looked like  he was also waiting for it to travel 10-yds..

10.   Lastly, the “prevent” Offense and Defense when IU is leading handily…  play to win, not to loose.

Nice post...welcome aboard, and what HS did you attend?

25 minutes ago, IPFW1984 said:

To be up two scores with 7 minutes after not getting any push with both lines was great.  Coaches got these kids to play up.  Your right with the points you made and I bet the staff would love to have those back.  Special teams needs to take a step forward.  The short punt, etc.  

Also, why did Whop run backwards 10 yards in crucial moments on a return?

Anyhow, would of loved a few more chances for out WR to work the sidelines when 1 on 1.

Regardless, fun game and thought IU had it won.  Hopefully, this is another step in the learning process and making IU a legit competitive team against all.

Someone else can fire it up but looking at next years schedule with what we have coming back I'm thinking 8 wins at least. I'm sure the other bowls in Florida took notice that we will travel and I expect a return trip soon.

Kick off 2020 with road trip to Madison. Labor Day Weekend. 

Very disappointed with the way turned out last night, but pleased with the season overall. If you would have told me in August we would lose a January bowl game by one point, I’m not sure I would have believed it. 

I have the same issues from last night that most of you do, so there is no need to rehash. I just hope we back this season up with a similar one next year to keep the momentum rolling. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Someone else can fire it up but looking at next years schedule with what we have coming back I'm thinking 8 wins at least. I'm sure the other bowls in Florida took notice that we will travel and I expect a return trip soon.

Kick off 2020 with road trip to Madison. Labor Day Weekend. 

Your crossover games should be more difficult than this year IMO. Non conference is about the same as this year. I think overall your schedule isn’t much different than this year honestly. Maybe a little tougher. 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Your crossover games should be more difficult than this year IMO. Non conference is about the same as this year. I think overall your schedule isn’t much different than this year honestly. Maybe a little tougher. 

UW very tough

UI- good but beatable

PU- beatable

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

UW very tough

UI- good but beatable

PU- beatable

Yep at UW will be much tougher than at Nebraska. 

Illinois is at home but they’ll likely be a better test than NW at home for you guys this past year. 

Purdue is at home but I’m assuming we’ll hopefully be in a much better place health wise. Will be a toss up game IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep at UW will be much tougher than at Nebraska. 

Illinois is at home but they’ll likely be a better test than NW at home for you guys this past year. 

Purdue is at home but I’m assuming we’ll hopefully be in a much better place health wise. Will be a toss up game IMO. 

But going into this season both Neb. and NW was thought to be quality teams so you never know how it plays out.

You have to like our chances with Michigan State and Maryland at home and Rutgers on the road, plus the three non-conference games. 

If you write off at OSU, at Michigan, and at Wisconsin, that leaves some winnable swing games with Purdue and Illinois. Penn State is at home and I wouldn't concede that one.  

We have been a very young team and have very good experience coming back.  We should be much better on paper just based on player development as guys are getting older, stronger, etc. We have some athletes who can make plays and turn games.

That Wisconsin game is going to be tough.  While I like our team speed over theirs, they are just a big, physical team.  Until proven otherwise, that's a problem for us.  I saw them play Oregon, and some of their key guys are big, slow, lumbering types and they can look ugly at times.  But their physicality is as good as it gets in the country. I don't see them as being a program that meshes team speed with power like the top half a dozen or so programs do.

You'd like to let it rip and try to steal one at UM, at OSU and at UW.  You never know as we've competed with these guys on the road in the past.  But that's a jump we haven't made yet.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I do. CTA should have their attention in camp or we'll go up to Madison and get whipped. 

Haven't look at UW's roster but was wondering how many players they lose from this years team.  I am sure Taylor will leave but they probably have capable back ups to come in and start.  I guess the main thing with them is how many of their OL will be back.

4 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

This is for anyone who was at the game.  Looked like there was a lot of red in that stadium last night.  How was the IU crowd and best guess on how many? 60-40 in favor of Tennessee?

I was there, 60-40 is a good guess. Orange wrapped around the ends but the hoosiers were solid across the one side and sprinkled in on the ends. IU got really loud, especially during Q3 and most of the game had great energy. Great game to see, big letdown and tough walking past all the Vols celebrating on the way out.

16 minutes ago, NJHooooosier said:

I was there, 60-40 is a good guess. Orange wrapped around the ends but the hoosiers were solid across the one side and sprinkled in on the ends. IU got really loud, especially during Q3 and most of the game had great energy. Great game to see, big letdown and tough walking past all the Vols celebrating on the way out.

This 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't like having to play a conference game to open up the season

I partially agree with you.

Conference opener at Wiscy.....No thanks.

Conference opener home game against Rutgers...Yes please.

EDIT: More seriously...I agree with Scott that it is not good to open with a BT team. Always better to start out with a cupcake to shake off the rust, get into game mode, let the young players get used to a real game, etc. Would be especially helpful to have a “practice game” with a new OC.

One good thing about opening with Wisconsin is that we should have a healthy Penix in a big game for only the 2nd time.  At MSU this year being the other one.

Hopefully we'll have a bowl game wrapped up by the end of the Michigan State game.  @ Wisconsin, 3 non conference games, Maryland at home, @ Rutgers, and Michigan State at home.  If we can get 6 of those 7 games, we should be well on our way to a 7 or 8+ win season again.

Archived