Gator bowl post game

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

One good thing about opening with Wisconsin is that we should have a healthy Penix in a big game for only the 2nd time.  At MSU this year being the other one.

Hopefully we'll have a bowl game wrapped up by the end of the Michigan State game.  @ Wisconsin, 3 non conference games, Maryland at home, @ Rutgers, and Michigan State at home.  If we can get 6 of those 7 games, we should be well on our way to a 7 or 8+ win season again.

7-0 baby, 7-0

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Haven't look at UW's roster but was wondering how many players they lose from this years team.  I am sure Taylor will leave but they probably have capable back ups to come in and start.  I guess the main thing with them is how many of their OL will be back.

They could have as many as 5-6 guys on offense leave for draft. Will know soon I would suspect which is why I love playing them first. We have one of the top 10 youngest teams in football this season with most coming back. If there's a time to sneak into Camp Randall (if they have multiple departures) and get a win it will be week 1 before they develop their own momentum.

In terms of the rest of the schedule. Win the non conference, beat Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue  and 1 of Penn St/Sparty. That gives us 8 right there.

On 1/3/2020 at 1:18 AM, bobtcat2 said:

Well, I was thinking more have the media ask them hard questions about the game at the least.  They were making mistakes a high school coach shouldn't make.

What were these mistakes... I coach HS football and I would like to understand what mistakes I missed? 

The media are nothing more than people that talk. Their "credentials" are questionable at best. 

Do you coach HS football? 

Furthermore.. I was at the game. GREAT atmosphere. 

IU fans showed up big time. It was impressive. We belonged. We didn't just get lucky to be in the game like we did vs. Utah. 

Our OL did struggle some, most OLs do that have their best two players out. 

We've got some young kids especially on the defensive side of the ball that can flat out play. If you don't love where we are as a program then I would kindly like to kindly tell you to gtfo and go find someone else to complain about. 8-5... 3 big ten road wins 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Furthermore.. I was at the game. GREAT atmosphere. 

IU fans showed up big time. It was impressive. We belonged. We didn't just get lucky to be in the game like we did vs. Utah. 

Our OL did struggle some, most OLs do that have their best two players out. 

We've got some young kids especially on the defensive side of the ball that can flat out play. If you don't love where we are as a program then I would kindly like to kindly tell you to gtfo and go find someone else to complain about. 8-5... 3 big ten road wins 

It is interesting when you look at the season overall. At the end of the day, 8 wins is 8 wins no doubt about it and that in and of itself is impressive. I think you guys were extremely fortunate with your crossover games this year that NW and Nebraska ended up being significantly worse than what most thought and you caught a Purdue team that was more injury-struck than any I’ve ever seen in the 20 years I’ve been a fan. But you still have to go out and play/win those games. I do find it interesting too that the combined winning percentage of teams you beat was like .260. So my thoughts as an opposing fan are this: 8 wins is clearly impressive while also realizing that you didn’t beat any teams with winning records either. But I’d gladly trade places lol. 

19 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It is interesting when you look at the season overall. At the end of the day, 8 wins is 8 wins no doubt about it and that in and of itself is impressive. I think you guys were extremely fortunate with your crossover games this year that NW and Nebraska ended up being significantly worse than what most thought and you caught a Purdue team that was more injury-struck than any I’ve ever seen in the 20 years I’ve been a fan. But you still have to go out and play/win those games. I do find it interesting too that the combined winning percentage of teams you beat was like .260. So my thoughts as an opposing fan are this: 8 wins is clearly impressive while also realizing that you didn’t beat any teams with winning records either. But I’d gladly trade places lol. 

3 big ten road wins. We had 4 offensive starters out vs. UT. We only played 4 players in the bowl game that wont be back next year. 

We played like 32 FR and SO in that bowl game. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Execution definitely was but you guys weren’t prepared for it. Allen admitted as much in his presser. 

We literally could have been ready for it and it still worked. Great call and great execution by them. That didnt get us beat... big play there. Didnt get us beat though. 

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

3 big ten road wins. We had 4 offensive starters out vs. UT. We only played 4 players in the bowl game that wont be back next year. 

We played like 32 FR and SO in that bowl game. 

You’re definitely young no doubt. Doesn’t change what I said though. I’ll give you the 3 road wins. We did that last year and it’s not easy. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

You’re definitely young no doubt. Doesn’t change what I said though. I’ll give you the 3 road wins. We did that last year and it’s not easy. 

I'm not arguing with you lol we play 3 more verry winnable games in the non conf next year. Plus Purdue and ILL at home, MSU at home, Maryland at home, @Rutgers. 8 very, very winnable games. We might be favored in all 8 of those. 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No man. Their execution was PERFECT. 

Execution trumps anything else. 

I never played football.  Silver creek guy.  So on an onside, at what point are our guys allowed to put hands on them in an attempt to block and let other guys receive the ball?  I'm with boiler and basically everyone else here.  We weren't prepared but I may also not completely understand.   

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We literally could have been ready for it and it still worked. Great call and great execution by them. That didnt get us beat... big play there. Didnt get us beat though. 

They recovered it at exactly ten yards, possibly touching it before ten yards.  The most perfect onside kick I've ever seen.

It definitely surprised me.  Very few times I've seen a team do an onside kick down 6 with 5 minutes left, especially one like Tennessee where their defense is much, much better than their offense.

If it hadn't worked, or that kick hadn't been perfect, Tennessee fans would be all over their coach for giving the game away with a reckless call.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I never played football.  Silver creek guy.  So on an onside, at what point are our guys allowed to put hands on them in an attempt to block and let other guys receive the ball?  I'm with boiler and basically everyone else here.  We weren't prepared but I may also not completely understand.   

We can block immediately.. and we can go get the ball immediately. 

And of course we weren't "ready". That's why you call it to begin with lol.. took some serious balls to call it. Our guys upfront biggest mistake was leaving before the ball was kicked. But honestly.. as well as that thing was kicked and how quick they got it, it might not have mattered. 

Just now, rogue3542 said:

They recovered it at exactly ten yards, possibly touching it before ten yards.  The most perfect onside kick I've ever seen.

It definitely surprised me.  Very few times I've seen a team do an onside kick down 6 with 5 minutes left, especially one like Tennessee where their defense is much, much better than their offense.

If it hadn't worked, or that kick hadn't been perfect, Tennessee fans would be all over their coach for giving the game away with a reckless call.

Exactly. Great post. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We can block immediately.. and we can go get the ball immediately. 

And of course we weren't "ready". That's why you call it to begin with lol.. took some serious balls to call it. Our guys upfront biggest mistake was leaving before the ball was kicked. But honestly.. as well as that thing was kicked and how quick they got it, it might not have mattered. 

Thanks.  It was flawless.  My thinking is though if we were ready we blow up the guys trying to recover for them.  But it was flawless.  It's over.  We should have been at the very least alert and we weren't even that.  

5 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

It was 4:19.  We should have at the very least had it on our radar.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Thanks.  It was flawless.  My thinking is though if we were ready we blow up the guys trying to recover for them.  But it was flawless.  It's over.  We should have been at the very least alert and we weren't even that.  

Right I mean they made a play and we didnt. That's the great part about sports. As a college football player you should be prepared for that. I've done a lot of front line blocking on KORs... first thing.. dont leave until the balls kicked. 

Archived