Maryland post game

rico

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

This game put me on the fence with Miller and it sucks.

Going through another rebuild with a new coach....god... 

Just so frustrating 

This is where I’m at too. I’ve tried to defend Archie, I’ve tried to be patient, and I really do think he can coach and could have been a long term solution, but I just don’t see how/when this improves, and when there isn’t much hope and the momentum is lost, I don’t see how Archie recruits to make it better. 

Im approaching the point where I got with Crean, where I was indifferent on a change being made. That’s not good for Archie when fans don’t care anymore. 

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JugRox said:

This game put me on the fence with Miller and it sucks.

Going through another rebuild with a new coach....god... 

Just so frustrating 

I am on the fence as well.

The thing is... why does go after a new coach mean rebuild.  Look at the teams this year with new or 2/3 year coaches and they are completing at high levels.  Heck Dayton is in the top 25 this year.

I don’t understand this...

IMO you’re irrational if you truly believe Archie is absolutely clueless and a horrific coach. He proved he was at least really solid at Dayton. He comes with the endorsement of RMK which I don’t think comes easily. Many teams wanted him before we got him. Those are hard facts.

How is this team THIS hard to coach? What in the world is going on?

I said this last year, and it seems true again, but everyone but Green seems to lack confidence shooting the ball.  If you aren't allowed to shoot until the shot clock is at zero, you aren't going to make many. The offense has to take open three pointers in rhythm, which may be off the first pass, not necessarily after nothing else works.

Maybe it is time to look at a different lineup and bench players who don't care f they win or lose.  Maybe we need to play with some intensity and heart to begin the game and not wait until the game is over.  Maybe we should have picked up the defense full court earlier and tried something new to surprise Maryland.  To me when I watch our team they are tentative and don't seem to play relaxed and just play with a flow.  they don't look confident when they shoot the ball and when you don't play with confidence you won't shoot well.  I see other teams who just look relaxed and play with way more confidence.

Just now, Feathery said:

I’m there will you. He wasn’t my guy but I will give any new coach a chance. But the substitution of Brunk when he was playing well and cut the lead to 3, was Creanesque. That was the moment I went from being patient and supportive to being on the fence. I hope he turns it around but I’m very skeptical and would be ready as a new AD to make a change ASAP if needed. 

Said it in game thread, if new AD makes a change it has to be now.

Either commit to Miller or make a change as soon as he gets the job.

Which means we need that AD hire as soon as possible 

2 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I am on the fence as well.

The thing is... why does go after a new coach mean rebuild.  Look at the teams this year with new or 2/3 year coaches and they are completing at high levels.  Heck Dayton is in the top 25 this year.

All depends on recruiting.

IU cannot miss on the 2021 class.....

3 minutes ago, JugRox said:

But who? How do we avoid this again?

If we ever make a change it will be another mid major coach who we hope can do the job.  We will not get an established power 5 successful coach.  Donovan and Stevens will not be coming back to the college game anytime soon so they won't be available.

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

IMO you’re irrational if you truly believe Archie is absolutely clueless and a horrific coach. He proved he was at least really solid at Dayton. He comes with the endorsement of RMK which I don’t think comes easily. Many teams wanted him before we got him. Those are hard facts.

Sometimes coaching doesn't translate from mid major to power 5. You see it all the time, where coaches just don't make it.  Could just be a bad fit for him also abd his next big gig he steps it up

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’m not really wavering on Archie’s ability to coach. I believe he is/can be a good coach. But, I’m questioning his ability to recruit, and also whether or not he can recover from missing the tournament 3 years in a row. It’s not that I don’t think he can coach, it’s that I don’t think he can recover from where this is at, and to me that is when a change needs to be made or at least considered. 

Indiana basketball is broken.  It's become a footnote in the history of college basketball.  A footnote largely about Bob Knight.  The administration seems to be deliberately sabotaging the basketball program after the Bob Knight era came to a close.  

And there is no end in sight.  It's broken at the foundational level.  The 2020 class isn't going to fix it.  I'd be willing to bet a sizable amount of money we miss out on all 3 Lander, Furst, and Kaufman in 2021.  Archie cant fix it.  The new AD cant fix it.  It takes a vision and plan from someone all the way at the top and a systematic overhaul of the entire athletic department.  

This is where I'm at with IU basketball.  

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We shot 5% from 3 and turned the ball over allot.  We let them score at will.  It would have been 40 point loss but they put in their walk-ons with about 4 minutes to go abs we started hitting shots and got a few TOs.

Thank you and thank you for giving me an actual synopsis of the game and not the same tired Archie sucks narrative. 

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sometimes coaching doesn't translate from mid major to power 5. You see it all the time, where coaches just don't make it.  Could just be a bad fit for him also abd his next big gig he steps it up

In my darker moments, I wonder if he is our Tommy Ammaker.  TA looked like a cant miss hire for UM, but could never get it going and never made the NCAA while there. 

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Archie isnt going any where for at least a couple years. Glass knew what was left by Crean and thats why he got the contract length he did. I think his rope is to long with a couple of guys and its hurting him because he cant turn to anyone else who can put the ball through the basket.

Archived