Maryland post game

rico

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Who are you and how did you hack this account?

Like I have said before Archie was not  in my top 5 on my wish list when we were looking for a coach.  I tried to be patient ad give him a chance and will still be there every game rooting for this team to win.  Probably my problem today is that I came to the board right away and I am posting what I think when I am watching the game.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is where I’m at too. I’ve tried to defend Archie, I’ve tried to be patient, and I really do think he can coach and could have been a long term solution, but I just don’t see how/when this improves, and when there isn’t much hope and the momentum is lost, I don’t see how Archie recruits to make it better. 

Im approaching the point where I got with Crean, where I was indifferent on a change being made. That’s not good for Archie when fans don’t care anymore. 

There is no basketball identity and I can't explain it.  Loose and win with identity. Also, we are the only team where our guards bounce off everyone and we have to lead the big ten in fadeaway flooters(if there is such a thing) and shots.

In athletics learning how to use fear to your advantage allows you to win especially in underdog situations - this team looks to play with an anxiety and confusion fear.

We get down early in the 2nd half and quickly recover and cut it to 5 and have the ball.  "Captain" Green launches an ill-adviced 3 early in the clock and of course misses.  That one play shows Green's BB IQ.  Work the ball and get a 2 and then who knows?  It was all down hill after Devonte missed that shot.

1 minute ago, GrangerHoosier said:

I'd hire Bruce Pearl in a heartbeat. 

I don't care about his questionable past. The dude just wins and the B1G would be terrified of him at Indiana. They are not scared of Archie.

He would kill it here.

It won't happen but I've been saying this for YEARS!!!!!!!! Since was winning at USI. I bet a colleague of mine $500 that Pearl would win a championship before Crean did when Crean was hired at Indiana. I haven't won that bet....yet, but there is no way he can.

2 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I am on the fence as well.

The thing is... why does go after a new coach mean rebuild.  Look at the teams this year with new or 2/3 year coaches and they are completing at high levels.  Heck Dayton is in the top 25 this year.

A flashy coach with an NBA pedigree would be a great option.  Just look at the kids flocking to play for Penny and Howard(even Ewing).  

I don't even see it as taking a step back at this point(firing Archie).  People keep saying 4 years... but what does our ceiling look like next season???   Maybe we squeak in the dance at best.  Shouldn't we be competing for the B1G championship next year and making it past the 1st weekend in March?   I just don't see it. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

This was painfully obvious when I saw them in person vs UConn, nothing has changed since last season. 
Frankly, Archie needs to go—and now I’m full on rooting for a bottom out. Which will happen regardless. These are sad times

We’ve been a soccer school for most of the last decade

4 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Indiana basketball is broken.  It's become a footnote in the history of college basketball.  A footnote largely about Bob Knight.  The administration seems to be deliberately sabotaging the basketball program after the Bob Knight era came to a close.  

And there is no end in sight.  It's broken at the foundational level.  The 2020 class isn't going to fix it.  I'd be willing to bet a sizable amount of money we miss out on all 3 Lander, Furst, and Kaufman in 2021.  Archie cant fix it.  The new AD cant fix it.  It takes a vision and plan from someone all the way at the top and a systematic overhaul of the entire athletic department.  

This is where I'm at with IU basketball.  

This! IU basketbalk is broken at the administrative level. This is bigger than Archie. I think Archie can be great at a school that actually supports and wants its basketball program to be the premier aspect of its university. IU isn’t that school anymore. The coach has to fight to get things, doesn’t have the support, etc. 

I’m not sure how or who can fix this?

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe it is time to look at a different lineup and bench players who don't care f they win or lose.  Maybe we need to play with some intensity and heart to begin the game and not wait until the game is over.  Maybe we should have picked up the defense full court earlier and tried something new to surprise Maryland.  To me when I watch our team they are tentative and don't seem to play relaxed and just play with a flow.  they don't look confident when they shoot the ball and when you don't play with confidence you won't shoot well.  I see other teams who just look relaxed and play with way more confidence.

One of My favorite years under Crean was year one. Those guys played so hard. The fanbase respected that. If he has to do that I know the base would get behind a hard decision more than “keep throwing the same crap against the wall and hope it eventually sticks.”

14 minutes ago, JugRox said:

But who? How do we avoid this again?

Well, the longer you go with the current product, the further into irrelevance you fall.  I want someone who holds players accountable by using the bench.  Making them earn their time, not just running the same lineup out there game in and game out.  Someone who can make in game adjustments to stop runs and someone who knows how to build on a lead versus subbing your way out of one.  Someone who can construct a whole team...shooters, role players, rebounders, scorers, etc.  There are good ones out there that could and would relish the opportunity to take IU basketball back to at least consistent top 5 finishes in the Big 10.  Based on what I’ve seen of Archie, he isn’t that guy.  

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Rough game.  Maybe to much time between games.  Maybe need to play more often to stay in the zone

What zone? Got beat by Wis. by 20 now Maryland by as much as they wanted to beat us. Some of the other sites have already taking down the score. Just put up our next game! I quit watching with 7:38. Can’t remember the last time I did that. 
I saw we only shot 6.7 % from three, 29% in the game. 
Hey we need more cupcakes to get our confidence right. That seems to really work. 

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

A flashy coach with an NBA pedigree would be a great option.  Just look at the kids flocking to play for Penny and Howard(even Ewing).  

I don't even see it as taking a step back at this point(firing Archie).  People keep saying 4 years... but what does our ceiling look like next season???   Maybe we squeak in the dance at best.  Shouldn't we be competing for the B1G championship next year and making it past the 1st weekend in March?   I just don't see it. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

IU should not be shy about making a change.  This isn’t working.  A short leash serves two purposes: it discourages cowards from taking the job for fear of being fired, and causes only those with big stones and confidence in their ability to step up. 

13 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m there will you. He wasn’t my guy but I will give any new coach a chance. But the substitution of Brunk when he was playing well and cut the lead to 3, was Creanesque. That was the moment I went from being patient and supportive to being on the fence. I hope he turns it around but I’m very skeptical and would be ready as a new AD to make a change ASAP if needed. 

If we go like 7-13 in conference you have to make a change. That is just beyond unacceptable for the money he is paid.

8 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Indiana basketball is broken.  It's become a footnote in the history of college basketball.  A footnote largely about Bob Knight.  The administration seems to be deliberately sabotaging the basketball program after the Bob Knight era came to a close.  

And there is no end in sight.  It's broken at the foundational level.  The 2020 class isn't going to fix it.  I'd be willing to bet a sizable amount of money we miss out on all 3 Lander, Furst, and Kaufman in 2021.  Archie cant fix it.  The new AD cant fix it.  It takes a vision and plan from someone all the way at the top and a systematic overhaul of the entire athletic department.  

This is where I'm at with IU basketball.  

Then the fanbase needs to take it back

2 minutes ago, rico said:

We get down early in the 2nd half and quickly recover and cut it to 5 and have the ball.  "Captain" Green launches an ill-adviced 3 early in the clock and of course misses.  That one play shows Green's BB IQ.  Work the ball and get a 2 and then who knows?  It was all down hill after Devonte missed that shot.

I know of 5 plays or (passes) that showed his basketball IQ against Arkansas 

6 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

I don't care about his questionable past. The dude just wins and the B1G would be terrified of him at Indiana. They are not scared of Archie.

He would kill it here.

Never, ever want this kind of coach at IU

6 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

He would kill it here.

I hope Scott isn’t reading this while driving home or he will get in a wreck.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

This! IU basketbalk is broken at the administrative level. This is bigger than Archie. I think Archie can be great at a school that actually supports and wants its basketball program to be the premier aspect of its university. IU isn’t that school anymore. The coach has to fight to get things, doesn’t have the support, etc. 

I’m not sure how or who can fix this?

Archie could be a little creative and not play the same sets and defense schemes.  The little full court traps they played gave them some life today.

At some point show zone, release guards in transition do something that changes the game.  

Slow the ball down on offense, something.

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I don’t understand this...

IMO you’re irrational if you truly believe Archie is absolutely clueless and a horrific coach. He proved he was at least really solid at Dayton. He comes with the endorsement of RMK which I don’t think comes easily. Many teams wanted him before we got him. Those are hard facts.

How is this team THIS hard to coach? What in the world is going on?

What did he prove at Dayton?  He had one fluke run to the Elite 8 in this third year, and two regular season titles in a mid-major conference.  Outside of that, he had early exits in the conference tournament and NCAA tournament pretty much every year.  Had mediocre offensive and defensive efficiency numbers and never landed an elite recruit there.  Plenty of midmajor coaches have had similar success and failed to cut it in a power conference.  

Especially when the philosophy is fundamentally flawed... Completely neglecting three-point shooting will never work at the highest levels.

I’m agreeing with more and more that are seeing that our bigger problems lie with the administration and something has to be done about it and if you don’t believe it can be then you need to learn more about what happened with my Tennessee Volunteer football program. It CAN be done. A fanbase can take its program back.

Archived