Maryland post game

rico

Just now, dgambill said:

He still won 2...even if it was vacated because of some strippers. Think the fact remains he is a legendary coach and would jump at the chance to run a premier program. If we are talking about bringing in a cheater like Pearl why not go for broke.

I have no respect for the guy. I don’t like seeing him get anymore credit than he deserves. No chance I’d even shoot a glance his way.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Archie is a good coach...just not sure his style will win at the elite level. I still prefer it to the unfundamental Crean teams....but it’s hard to watch us not able to shoot the ball. I mean by the end of Knights tenure I heard people saying his teams couldn’t win but at this point I’d take any of his late 90s teams to what we have.

Just now, dgambill said:

I think Archie is a good coach...just not sure his style will win at the elite level. I still prefer it to the unfundamental Crean teams....but it’s hard to watch us not able to shoot the ball. I mean by the end of Knights tenure I heard people saying his teams couldn’t win but at this point I’d take any of his late 90s teams to what we have.

Well UVA plays a similar style and won the championship last year.

5 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

I have no respect for the guy. I don’t like seeing him get anymore credit than he deserves. No chance I’d even shoot a glance his way.

I don’t like it anymore than you but people were saying there wasn’t a coach like Meyer out there and there is. Just saying.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is a big question I always ask myself is why does an outcome of a game that we have to influence on the outcome bother us so much.  I have been watching IU basketball for over 40 years and have witnessed 3 championships so I have seen both the good and the bad of IU basketball.  Afer a win or a loss my life does not change one bit and the sun came up the next day so why do we get so upset after a loss.  Also we see so much more traffic after a game when we lose than after a big win.

I think that changes with age. I used to get pretty upset, but now, not nearly as much. However, I was kinda po'd today, because I dropped money for tickets for that embarrassment, and I'd imagine there are a lot on this board that did for the Arkansas game, among others. I get annoyed when I pay money for a bad movie or a bad meal, too. 

As for the traffic thing, personally, I probably come here more after losses, mainly to commiserate with others who understand the frustration of watching us leave good shooters wide open multiple times on a pick and pop/fade, or a number of other things of that nature. It's therapeutic in a way. 

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

I think that changes with age. I used to get pretty upset, but now, not nearly as much. However, I was kinda po'd today, because I dropped money for tickets for that embarrassment, and I'd imagine there are a lot on this board that did for the Arkansas game, among others. I get annoyed when I pay money for a bad movie or a bad meal, too. 

As for the traffic thing, personally, I probably come here more after losses, mainly to commiserate with others who understand the frustration of watching us leave good shooters wide open multiple times on a pick and pop/fade, or a number of other things of that nature. It's therapeutic in a way. 

When I was 20 I was horrible during games and really let it affect my mood and was terrible being around.  It tarted to change once I had kids and they would repeat some of the things I would say or act how I acted during games. Don't get me wrong I still get upset and say things I shouldn't during games but it is not even close to how I use to be.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m just trying to see why everyone keeps telling me he’s such a GREAT coach.  Like I said, the offensive/defensive efficiency numbers are mediocre to me.  While it may be understandable that he didn’t land any elite recruits at Dayton, that’s certainly not something you can point to in his favor.  And making the tournament in a mid-major conference 4 years in a row just isn’t all that impressive IMO — and again, the same people who tell me what a great coach Archie is also tell me what a terrible coach Crean is, and he did essentially the same thing in a much better conference.

And when I say philosophy, I mean trying to build your half-court offense pretty much entirely around posting up your big men and totally neglecting three-point shooting.  That’s partly a failure in recruiting, but if you go back and look at his offenses at Dayton, they’ve pretty much always taken few attempts from three and shot a mediocre percentage.  And regardless of what he’s trying to do on offense, the players are failing miserably to execute it — it’s on the coach making $3M+ to get the players to do what he wants them to do.  On defense, we’re terrible at guarding the three-point line and constantly get lit up from three.

Whether you want to call these issues a failure in recruiting, philosophy, scheme, execution, etc., it doesn’t matter.  It’s been a dumpster fire, and there are currently no signs that it’s going to improve any time soon.

No one has said he’s a great coach. Have I said that anywhere? Again, it appears to me that you’re trying to make a point of him being a poor recruiter because of his recruiting at Dayton. Does winning the conference hold any merit? The A10 gets multiple bids every year. It’s a good conference basketball wise. Consistently winning in a good conference is impressive to me. Have I said Crean was a bad coach?

How do they totally neglect the 3? Should this team take more 3s? I agree that recruiting shooters has been an issue that should be addressed, but I don’t think this team should take more 3s. 15-20 attempts per game with a better percentage to keep the defense honest is good for this team specifically. The best shooter on this team happens to be the most inconsistent guy on a nightly basis. I’m all in for shooting more 3s if we could show some consistency from outside. We haven’t done that yet. I think getting more touches in the paint from our guards could help. It would force someone else to help and make the defense begin their rotations.

How exactly are we bad at guarding the 3? Maryland was 6/24 today. That seems pretty good, but without watching the entire game I wasn’t able to see the attempts they got. And I mean exactly how they got those shots. Whether it be off of guarding a screen incorrectly, poor on ball defense, or over helping. So can you tell me exactly how we’re bad at guarding the 3? An option for that would be to go smaller, with JS and TJD at the bigs. 

The problem is that it does matter. To me, it comes off as whining and complaining without really making a argument on a specific point or providing some type of solution. 

The last part isn’t mean to be a shot at you. I like to read your insight and opinions, and I felt you’ve made better posts/arguments in the past. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

When I was 20 I was horrible during games and really let it affect my mood and was terrible being around.  It tarted to change once I had kids and they would repeat some of the things I would say or act how I acted during games. Don't get me wrong I still get upset and say things I shouldn't during games but it is not even close to how I use to be.

Yep, I'm pretty much the same. I was in school when we won in '87 and still around when we lost to Duke in the '92 FF, and I was upset for what seemed like weeks after that one (more because of the officiating, but still). I wonder if a part of it is that our program hasn't been to that level in a long, long time, save a couple of years here and there, so sort of getting numb to the losing.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don’t discount it. I just think it has nothing to do with what he will/can do at IU. Winning at a mid Major is not the same as winning in a power five. Just my opinion

I can understand that and it’s a fine opinion to have. Would you be fine if we were to take another chance on a mid major coach if Archie does not get things turned around?

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

Yep, I'm pretty much the same. I was in school when we won in '87 and still around when we lost to Duke in the '92 FF, and I was upset for what seemed like weeks after that one (more because of the officiating, but still). I wonder if a part of it is that our program hasn't been to that level in a long, long time, save a couple of years here and there, so sort of getting numb to the losing.

It might have a little to do with the fact of how the program has done but I think it is more to do with people maturing and having different priorities.

I was a person who wanted Archie. I like seeing fundamentals. I like hearing Defense First. I like the intensity. He cares. I think he is a good recruiter. But the needle moved with me a little. Let me postulate that a source of our collective frustration is that this is Indiana. Home of Jimmy Rayl, fictional Jimmy Chitwood, Larry Bird, Steve Alford, Calbert Cheaney, and so many more who could SHOOT THE BALL. I live across from Kentucky, and I’ve always said that what separates us from them is how our love for basketball permeates all the way down to the elementary school level. The Seymour Sectionals/ Regionals the last few years were better than most college games around the country as far as the fans’ intensity.When I was stationed in Korea in 1994, I wore Indiana gear to the gym, easily got in the pick up games, threw alley-oops and hit 3’s. No matter what level we played at, we KNOW this game. It’s in our blood. It’s unfathomable to us that a coach cant find players who can shoot. And spare me the complaining about my home town hero. I watched him play for 4 years and never saw a more pure jumper. Im as mystified by that as anyone. I am wondering about the staff. What do they add? I was not a fan of Lionel whats-his-name, but Cliff Marshall was a trainer for the Bengals. ( hint hint) and i have no idea what these guys are practicing, but they are injured too much, show fatigue at times, and CANNOT SHOOT THE BALL. In this whole state, there arent any Roths, Hulls, Zeislofts out there? Forget the stars, get a guy who can shoot. Pains to see how well Sean East is doing. He wasnt hearalded, and was a little skinny, but Archie probably wishes he would have done more to get him, or at least a player like that. This is kind of a mystery to me. Why can’t they play? Why can’t they shoot? Why do they get out-hustled ( except TJD and Brunk) What is going on? These are legit questions, but I still urge for civility in discussing these things. Parents, parents of recruits, and yes, maybe even players read this stuff. I have legit questions, but let’s not take it out on a 40 year old coach and a bunch of 21 year old kids.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It might have a little to do with the fact of how the program has done but I think it is more to do with people maturing and having different priorities.

Probably both. I still got pretty excited when the Wat Shot went down, and was pretty bummed with that Syracuse disaster, just not as intensely or lingering.

Archived