Maryland post game

rico

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But look who's last...Kansas...and Michigan St is below IU as well, so I'm not sure I totally buy this...lots of factors invilved.

There are definitely a lot of factors that go into it.  It definitely doesn't prove any points on its own, but when coupled with the eye test of appearing to give up a lot of open 3s, helps to show that trend.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Kenpom has done a few things over the years about the best way of judging 3 point defense.  He says the numbers show that a good 3 point defense will allow less shots, but won't have a ton of affect on percentage.  Some, but not a ton.  That seems to make sense.  If you're a lock down 3 point defense, guys aren't going to get many shots off.  Usually, when a guy takes a 3, they're relatively open.  That doesn't change whether it is a good or bad defense.  There's some forced shots in there, but for the most part, guys are mostly open.  A big deal of 3 point percentage allowed is luck.  Guys are sometimes going to miss open shots, and make guarded ones.

This year, we've allowed the 271st most 3 point attempts per game

Last year we were 193rd

His first year, we were 122nd

His last year at Dayton, they were 226th

The previous year, they were 210th

And his teams haven’t been particularly good defending the three percentage-wise either.

2020: .324 (168th)

2019: .331 (106th)

2018: .367 (281st — this was particularly atrocious)

2017 (Dayton): .325 (56th)

2016 (Dayton): .349 (203rd — again pretty bad)

Only was able to catch part of the game but sounds like I really didn’t miss much in the parts that I couldn’t watch.  It’s just the same issues we’ve had...where does the scoring come from??  No outside shooting, teams packing the middle knowing we can’t shoot, and not valuing the basketball. It’s frustrating to watch. I don’t feel next years recruits will make this team any better( good kids great foundational pieces but still not the shooters this team needs to open up the offense for more balanced attack).  Roster management is a HUGE issue IMO. That’s not an admin issue that’s an Archie issue. I like Archie but I just don’t think he’s going to right this ship. His offense just isn’t good enough to win in the B1G. Recruiting is going to take a huge hit when the losses keep coming...feel like he’s just going to be a lame duck biding his time until IU makes yet another coaching move. 
i just want to watch a good brand of basketball again on both ends of the court. I wanted and hoped Archie would be that guy. I don’t believe he is but I do believe he will get at least one more year to prove he’s not. Sad state of affairs...still hold out hope one day we get the right coach to turn this ship around and take us back to our rightful place as one of college basketball’s elite programs. 

Whose timetables is this team truly on? 

We want to see what we want right now and it is reasonable in the context of what others have done in similar or less amounts of time, but what relevance does that really hold to someone else's team. I've been a part of that didn't fifure it out until the final stretch of their careers.While we don't like the thought of that, life goes that way and between now and then something jeeds to be done to help the collective mindset of the group arrive to the same place at the same time.I really think the results get better if we see that.

Florida State went out and got a big win and made that win look better.IU dominated some lesser teams but they had only played and only won at home and on neutral floors other than Wisconsin.That included Florida State.While we saw vulnerable play at home that preceeded tye Arkansas loss and gave the feeling it was coming, at the same tine the loss at Wiscy is all we reay had to go off if for trye away games.They just played in two of the tougher road environments in the B1G and the nation.The mistakes by players and coaching aren't unfair points.The thing is the context appears to get lost of how these games fit into the season.

This team gor eased into tougher home and the 2 neutral games and it looked flawed then.That is why I don't get why everyone flies off the handle as if this isn't sonething totally different .They went from easing i to home games to thrown i to the fire on the road.That is a large discrepancy in context of how the setting has changed in a short tine for a team figuring out to replace so much production and get two young regular rotatiin players up to speed.  If they don't play well in some of the slightly less difficult road environments later in the year I'll jump right in being highly concerned.I am concerned but just saying cincern is fair I just see that getting blown a bit out of proportion in the context of what I just mentioned.Also in the cintext of how this season is coming off extenuatibg circumstances as it already was prior to this year admist a major shift in philosophies fron Crean to Miller.

Again.This looked and felt pretty bad but 12-14 TOs , missed shots and poor results defending the perimeter are not the biggest priblens a program could have .Whatever is going with Rob might be the most likely facilitator of what the team itself is dealing with.And I use the word facilitator intentionally.If they feed off of his regular role as extension of the coach perhaps that is what we should be looking  at as some sign of greater issues as opposed to singling out kids like Green in posts.See what I am saying here.I'm not refuting anyone's points.No excuses for these things is definitely the PC way to spin it but that coschspeak type of mentality doesn't always aligb evenly with tge reality of the things that go on inside of a team.Did I miss a yhread about Rob .I haven't gotten far enough reading so it might be said sonewhere.

I don't know how well I worded my point but ai know what it is having coached teams that didn't get "it" until they had 2, 3 ,  4 games left .Then the light comes on.We have actually saw the light flash the positive and the blowout FSU win grows stronger so perhaps it comes on as these guys see the more favorable environments.I also prefer to see if Rob gets it together soon and how much that might help change how it looks. 

I feel for those who think this is the darkest times IU has had had.I'll hug my loved ones a 2nd time on your behalf.

Hitting shots can arrive in one class.2013-14 team hust disintegrated completely after the issyes with Holt,Perea and Devin Davis.Guys that short circuited it from playing oyt slowly.Hollowell Etherington, Jurkin, and the others who ultimately transferred provided the reset.This isn't a team with Priller and April .That was the darkest time period other than post- Sampson for me.

The Sampson stufd speaks for itself amd obviously haply it isn't going that way in the program culture overall top to bottom.It is good to hear the coach sit and acknowledge what we are seeing since it shows his hand is at least on the oulse of the issues his team is currently dealing with.Did Crean give us that feeling he understood and acknowledged the same things we saw as issues as often as Miller has? AT LEAST Miller sounds like he has a clue what those are that need to be addressed, and we can see it attempted in his inbound classes and youngest current players that he sought out himself on his watch.

More reasons this is far frkm the worst it gets and why peope might be blowing their personal frustration and impatience out of proportion as bit.

The big picture is a complete house and we are - to use an analogy I perceive from fans in general and some here- nitpicking a "few broken windows and chipped paint" relatively speaking compared to the recent past. I'm not taking shots. I ha e qualms with the pack-line and a few things Archie does too. I just haven't saw enough things that align with my personal experience to feel it is time to lose confidence much less let him go or remove him.

Isn't it good to sit and (as far as what we)know - feel they're JUST a team with key young pieces 3 new regular rotation guys(2 true Fr) playing awful for half of games , and not going to jail, getting hit by cars etc.

Are we glad the blowout losses weren't in Welsh Ryan Arena and the RAC so far? Are we glad the small schools or mid majors didn't come i lnto AH and bury by 20.Are we glad this team turns it over 12-14 times per and not 18-25 now.Are we glad we have only a few guys dealing with and coming off nagging injuries perhaps having a lingering effect on chemistry- being able to practice with full scrimmages unlike last year where Miller was practicing 7, 8, or 9  kids for most the year.

Things to consider .I considered all however many dozen posts I read and found solace jn seeing a few other folks not in panic mode. I'm wjth you guys for now.Non panic mode here and I could go on but this is more than enough to stand on.

Again .I am tired off a long nights work so I hope I didn't stray too far off my point of taking the larger context into a bit more consideration.It could be MUCH worse AND not appear to be being acknowledged and/nor addresssed at all by the Head Coach.

And to think: What does ___________ University getting what they want out of their coaches immediately in years 1-3 , and the respectiveAs well as situation of that program have to do with IU and Miller and this separate  group of separate individuals 

Just my random thoughts on all of it.The general IUBB fanbase itself is more frustrating than the team to me personally. Some of this adversity during Miller's tenure has nothing to do with excuses nor making them.Maybe it's me but I feel that should be more obvious than much of the stated perception of it that I am seeing.Last year and this year are different but continuity(or lack of)   with some issues carries over from the prior seasons while so much of that former core remains..

Like it or not lost tine last year is still lost tine practicing together last year is dtill lost time.Is it surprising thisooks more like a year two when year 2 was so abnormal with availability to pracetice normal..  I am just not calling for the end of their careers or jobs just prior to midseason while feeling this is the case..Ask me again after we play at the teams without such intimidating home floors a bit later in the year.

Are we the last team that will go to both Wiscy and Maryland and get drilled?   Are we the last high major  team Arkansas will beat on the road?  No and no .Are we one of the very very few that drilled FSU this year when it put together focus and effort to execute a bit better and will we be one of the only? Absolutely.

Why do wins equal no value and losses equal huge negative to some?  How does parity all over the nation as well as the B1G fit into this panic mode we see here? If several programs are catching up but nobody is pulling away how far worse does Indiana really have it than anyone else this year..

2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Whose timetables is this team truly on? 

We want to see what we want right now and it is reasonable in the context of what others have done in similar or less amounts of time, but what relevance does that really hold to someone else's team. I've been a part of that didn't fifure it out until the final stretch of their careers.While we don't like the thought of that, life goes that way and between now and then something jeeds to be done to help the collective mindset of the group arrive to the same place at the same time.I really think the results get better if we see that.

Florida State went out and got a big win and made that win look better.IU dominated some lesser teams but they had only played and only won at home and on neutral floors other than Wisconsin.That included Florida State.While we saw vulnerable play at home that preceeded tye Arkansas loss and gave the feeling it was coming, at the same tine the loss at Wiscy is all we reay had to go off if for trye away games.They just played in two of the tougher road environments in the B1G and the nation.The mistakes by players and coaching aren't unfair points.The thing is the context appears to get lost of how these games fit into the season.

This team gor eased into tougher home and the 2 neutral games and it looked flawed then.That is why I don't get why everyone flies off the handle as if this isn't sonething totally different .They went from easing i to home games to thrown i to the fire on the road.That is a large discrepancy in context of how the setting has changed in a short tine for a team figuring out to replace so much production and get two young regular rotatiin players up to speed.  If they don't play well in some of the slightly less difficult road environments later in the year I'll jump right in being highly concerned.I am concerned but just saying cincern is fair I just see that getting blown a bit out of proportion in the context of what I just mentioned.Also in the cintext of how this season is coming off extenuatibg circumstances as it already was prior to this year admist a major shift in philosophies fron Crean to Miller.

Again.This looked and felt pretty bad but 12-14 TOs , missed shots and poor results defending the perimeter are not the biggest priblens a program could have .Whatever is going with Rob might be the most likely facilitator of what the team itself is dealing with.And I use the word facilitator intentionally.If they feed off of his regular role as extension of the coach perhaps that is what we should be looking  at as some sign of greater issues as opposed to singling out kids like Green in posts.See what I am saying here.I'm not refuting anyone's points.No excuses for these things is definitely the PC way to spin it but that coschspeak type of mentality doesn't always aligb evenly with tge reality of the things that go on inside of a team.Did I miss a yhread about Rob .I haven't gotten far enough reading so it might be said sonewhere.

I don't know how well I worded my point but ai know what it is having coached teams that didn't get "it" until they had 2, 3 ,  4 games left .Then the light comes on.We have actually saw the light flash the positive and the blowout FSU win grows stronger so perhaps it comes on as these guys see the more favorable environments.I also prefer to see if Rob gets it together soon and how much that might help change how it looks. 

I feel for those who think this is the darkest times IU has had had.I'll hug my loved ones a 2nd time on your behalf.

Hitting shots can arrive in one class.2013-14 team hust disintegrated completely after the issyes with Holt,Perea and Devin Davis.Guys that short circuited it from playing oyt slowly.Hollowell Etherington, Jurkin, and the others who ultimately transferred provided the reset.This isn't a team with Priller and April .That was the darkest time period other than post- Sampson for me.

The Sampson stufd speaks for itself amd obviously haply it isn't going that way in the program culture overall top to bottom.It is good to hear the coach sit and acknowledge what we are seeing since it shows his hand is at least on the oulse of the issues his team is currently dealing with.Did Crean give us that feeling he understood and acknowledged the same things we saw as issues as often as Miller has? AT LEAST Miller sounds like he has a clue what those are that need to be addressed, and we can see it attempted in his inbound classes and youngest current players that he sought out himself on his watch.

More reasons this is far frkm the worst it gets and why peope might be blowing their personal frustration and impatience out of proportion as bit.

The big picture is a complete house and we are - to use an analogy I perceive from fans in general and some here- nitpicking a "few broken windows and chipped paint" relatively speaking compared to the recent past. I'm not taking shots. I ha e qualms with the pack-line and a few things Archie does too. I just haven't saw enough things that align with my personal experience to feel it is time to lose confidence much less let him go or remove him.

Isn't it good to sit and (as far as what we)know - feel they're JUST a team with key young pieces 3 new regular rotation guys(2 true Fr) playing awful for half of games , and not going to jail, getting hit by cars etc.

Are we glad the blowout losses weren't in Welsh Ryan Arena and the RAC so far? Are we glad the small schools or mid majors didn't come i lnto AH and bury by 20.Are we glad this team turns it over 12-14 times per and not 18-25 now.Are we glad we have only a few guys dealing with and coming off nagging injuries perhaps having a lingering effect on chemistry- being able to practice with full scrimmages unlike last year where Miller was practicing 7, 8, or 9  kids for most the year.

Things to consider .I considered all however many dozen posts I read and found solace jn seeing a few other folks not in panic mode. I'm wjth you guys for now.Non panic mode here and I could go on but this is more than enough to stand on.

Again .I am tired off a long nights work so I hope I didn't stray too far off my point of taking the larger context into a bit more consideration.It could be MUCH worse AND not appear to be being acknowledged and/nor addresssed at all by the Head Coach.

And to think: What does ___________ University getting what they want out of their coaches immediately in years 1-3 , and the respectiveAs well as situation of that program have to do with IU and Miller and this separate  group of separate individuals 

Just my random thoughts on all of it.The general IUBB fanbase itself is more frustrating than the team to me personally. Some of this adversity during Miller's tenure has nothing to do with excuses nor making them.Maybe it's me but I feel that should be more obvious than much of the stated perception of it that I am seeing.Last year and this year are different but continuity(or lack of)   with some issues carries over from the prior seasons while so much of that former core remains..

Like it or not lost tine last year is still lost tine practicing together last year is dtill lost time.Is it surprising thisooks more like a year two when year 2 was so abnormal with availability to pracetice normal..  I am just not calling for the end of their careers or jobs just prior to midseason while feeling this is the case..Ask me again after we play at the teams without such intimidating home floors a bit later in the year.

Are we the last team that will go to both Wiscy and Maryland and get drilled?   Are we the last high major  team Arkansas will beat on the road?  No and no .Are we one of the very very few that drilled FSU this year when it put together focus and effort to execute a bit better and will we be one of the only? Absolutely.

Why do wins equal no value and losses equal huge negative to some?  How does parity all over the nation as well as the B1G fit into this panic mode we see here? If several programs are catching up but nobody is pulling away how far worse does Indiana really have it than anyone else this year..

Our fan base is frustrated for good reason overall.  We are hovering between either denial or acceptance that mighty IU basketball is just....iu basketball. And it’s Getting harder and harder to see a resurrection.  We’re like buzz light year realizing he’s a toy and it’s okay to play with mrs nizbit 🤪

17 hours ago, JugRox said:

This game put me on the fence with Miller and it sucks.

Going through another rebuild with a new coach....god... 

Just so frustrating 

Honestly this is a perfect time to fire him. There would be no rebuild that you'd have to sell the new coach. He'd inherit TJD, Rob, Brunk, JS, Al, Jerome, Race, Armaan, Demazi, etc. Plus the incoming recruits. Most either can't transfer or wouldn't want to sit out. Plus there's that monster 2021 class he could hit early. But this administration...

Here's my thing. Green and Durham have been under Archie and his system going on 3rd season. Rob going on 2nd season. I'm truly trying to be as reasonable as a fan as possible here understanding we just can't keep hiring and firing guys.....but what exactly is the goal of our offense? Our strategy? Our identity? Whenever we have an ugly loss I'll go back and watch a 10 minute youtube clip of IU vs Illinois from 2002 season. Despite blowing them I can see the goal of Mike Davis' offense in about 25 seconds. What the heck is ours??

I mentioned fan apathy after the Arkansas game. Some posters were criticizing fans being fans, negative commentary,etc and it's impact on the program....I'll just say the same thing again. You want bigger problems? Big problems is just not caring anymore. Not showing up. Not spending $ on tickets. Not donating $. Not buying merchandise.  

I watched Archie conference after the game. He was visible pissed off. He held it together, but you could tell he was mad. Someone ask him what needs to change and he said hit shots. I think he knows he is moving to the hot seat! How long is his contact. This team looks just like last years. One player last year Morgan this year Davis that we can count on playing hard the rest ,flip a coin. 
I don’t think I can handle another year like last year! 
He better find a couple shooters are his time at IU will be over quick. Glass leaving probably gave him another year, because I can’t imagine a new AD would walk in and fire the basketball coach. I would think he would give him a year. 

#1 i guess CAM knew what he was doing when he scheduled cupcakes pre-conference.  otherwise this team would finish well below .500.  at least this makes his resume look a little better.  it's tough to watch again.  early on i thought they were at least more fun to watch than last year mainly because of Brunk and TJD, but this is bad.  i thought the forced jumper that Green took in the 1st few minutes made it pretty clear we were in for the same selfish play we've been seeing.  if CAM cared about that, he would have pulled him immediately after that and told him, if you want to play, cut that crap out, put him back in after a couple minutes and see what happens...

30 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

#1 i guess CAM knew what he was doing when he scheduled cupcakes pre-conference.  otherwise this team would finish well below .500.  at least this makes his resume look a little better.  it's tough to watch again.  early on i thought they were at least more fun to watch than last year mainly because of Brunk and TJD, but this is bad.  i thought the forced jumper that Green took in the 1st few minutes made it pretty clear we were in for the same selfish play we've been seeing.  if CAM cared about that, he would have pulled him immediately after that and told him, if you want to play, cut that crap out, put him back in after a couple minutes and see what happens...

This seems like the appropriate time for me to discuss my thoughts on "cupcakes."  I have no problem playing them but I would rather play more of them on the road.  Play a few road games in a small, hostile arena.  Play at UNC-Ashville, at Valpo, at St. Louis, etc.  You get my point.

As has been shown at Louisville and OSU, it is possible to rebuild a program and be at least somewhat competitive, and for the most part, we haven't been anywhere close to that in Archie's time. I thought the injuries and some of the off the court stuff were reasonable excuses for last year, but this year we're seeing exactly the same issues, minus the off the court stuff (as far as we know). A complete absence of any sort of identity on offense, a pack line defensive strategy that seems to leave opponents wide open for 3s (we left Samuels wide open twice yesterday on pretty basic pick and pop plays, for example), and these huge amounts of time where we just get steamrolled. I believe Maryland had a 24-3 run yesterday, which is nuts, and these runs aren't new - we saw them almost constantly in conference play last year, too.  

Archie's a complete mystery right now. It's possible he needs more time, it's possible he's just not the right fit, it's possible he's completely in over his head. But, there's simply no obvious reason right now for this team to be this bad in his third year, and the buck stops with him. At what point do you say enough is enough? 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Honestly this is a perfect time to fire him. There would be no rebuild that you'd have to sell the new coach. He'd inherit TJD, Rob, Brunk, JS, Al, Jerome, Race, Armaan, Demazi, etc. Plus the incoming recruits. Most either can't transfer or wouldn't want to sit out. Plus there's that monster 2021 class he could hit early. But this administration...

Conversation between coaching candidate and Athletic Director:

Candidate:  "And, why did you fire your previous coach?"

Athletic Director:  "We were 11-3."

Yep.  That has a lot of potential.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

This seems like the appropriate time for me to discuss my thoughts on "cupcakes."  I have no problem playing them but I would rather play more of them on the road.  Play a few road games in a small, hostile arena.  Play at UNC-Ashville, at Valpo, at St. Louis, etc.  You get my point.

Agreed, however we did work into the ND neutral game etc. Our non-con does need work, to prepare the team better, but how you get there with in hindsight i’m Not sure, have to look at when the schedule is set etc 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Conversation between coaching candidate and Athletic Director:

Candidate:  "And, why did you fire your previous coach?"

Athletic Director:  "We were 11-3."

Yep.  That has a lot of potential.

Uh no.  Why did you fire the previous coach?  “Because he missed the tourney 3 straight years when he had plenty of talent.”  

This actually made me laugh 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Uh no.  Why did you fire the previous coach?  “Because he missed the tourney 3 straight years when he had plenty of talent.”  

See, here is where I have a problem.  You're firing him for something that has not yet happened (missing the tourney this year).  All of this is based on assumption, and everyone knows what happens when you 'assume'.

Just now, 5fouls said:

See, here is where I have a problem.  You're firing him for something that has not yet happened (missing the tourney this year).  All of this is based on assumption, and everyone knows what happens when you 'assume'.

No one is saying fire him today.  If he pulls a miracle like Crean did in year 8 the point will be moot.  But if the season goes like many think it will no competent administration would give him another year.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Money keeps the school from doing that.

To me, I kind of feel like I did at a certain point with Davis and Crean, I think the Miller experiment is basically over and now everyone is just waiting for the inevitable.  There is still time to turn it around but at a certain point I think you kind of have what you have.  I think Miller screwed himself a bit when he first arrived by not house cleaning a bit.  You have a few years of honeymoon with a fan base.  You have to show an upward trajectory.  He has not to this point.  I hate this particular feeling because it make me not care.  I hit that point for the first time with Davis.  He was the first guy where at a certain point I just did not care to watch anymore.  I have had more and more of those feelings since then.  I paid to go to a game last year, the only way I would attend now is if the tickets were free.  I think if this year rounds out in a manner that it appears to be heading and Miller gets another year, that we will have a bunch of people just walk away and say screw it.  And those who do stick around are going to either be the sunshine no matter what crowd or the pitchfork crowd.  And the pitchfork crowd will get way more attention.  If this year turns out bad, it is over.  It is just a matter of time at that point.

Honestly this is a perfect time to fire him.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

No one is saying fire him today.  If he pulls a miracle like Crean did in year 8 the point will be moot.  But if the season goes like many think it will no competent administration would give him another year.

You need to make up your mind...

Archived