Maryland post game

rico

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You might be right about Archie but it is not clear or not if he is the right guy.  Like some have said before it has take some really good coaches a few years to establish their programs.

Scott, is there a set number of years you would give him?  Let's say for the sake of argument IU misses the NCAA this year and next year.  Would you make a move after next year?  I think what really troubles me is I truly can't point to a player who has improved. 

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Pearl would walk to Bloomington for the IU job.

Its exactly the type of situation he wants. Auburn is small time and he isn’t making much.

pitino, Pearl, Beard

Beard would be a home run and I could even handle Pearl because he is a proven winner!! But GTFO with Pitino!!! No! No! No! 

7 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

Scott, is there a set number of years you would give him?  Let's say for the sake of argument IU misses the NCAA this year and next year.  Would you make a move after next year?  I think what really troubles me is I truly can't point to a player who has improved. 

Provided there are no external issues (grades, drugs, etc) and no extremely bad results (for basketball, this would be single digit wins, 2 conference wins or fewer, etc), a P5 coach should get 4 full seasons minimum.

14 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

True...but 2-3 more million could make a huge difference 

I don't agree because I am not going to give 6 million to the kind of coaches who we would attract.  Again we are not  going to get an establish coach from a top power 5 conference coach.

12 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

4 years for any coach unless there is an off the court problems

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Provided there are no external issues (grades, drugs, etc) and no extremely bad results (for basketball, this would be single digit wins, 2 conference wins or fewer, etc), a P5 coach should get 4 full seasons minimum.

What if we would lose 12 in a row again. Not saying we will but would that be a basketball issue 2 years in a row ?

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't say they don't pony up money for a coach since our coach is the 10t highest paid coach in the country.

True but there are a lot of coaches around that 3 million mark.  And then a huge jump to Cal and K that make 7+.  If the administration truly wants a proven coach offer 5 mil and see what happens.

These coaches have huge egos.  A chance to be top 3 in salary would be awfully tempting.

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't agree because I am not going to give 6 million to the kind of coaches who we would attract.  Again we are not  going to get an establish coach from a top power 5 conference coach.

IU Scott, no disrespect but you have way to low expectations for what IU can get!

5 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Beard would be a home run and I could even handle Pearl because he is a proven winner!! But GTFO with Pitino!!! No! No! No! 

Can I ask why you think Beard would be a home run hire.  Is it just because of a couple of runs in the tournament.  Crean made it to the final  and most here did not think he was a good coach.  Not saying /beard wouldn't be a great coach here but there are no guarantee that he would either.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like Tennessee did?  Like Louisville did?

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can you explain this more?  What do you mean the kind of coach we works attract?  

I am saying no matter how much money we won't be able to bring in a Wright or Bennett to come here,  None of the top coaches in the profession will leave their established programs to come here when our fans turn on the coach after  years.  I am saying that if we have an opening we will be getting a top mid major coach like Archie who is not a guarantee home run hire.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well, that depends. Are we going to get the coach from UK/UCLA/UNC/Duke/Kansas/Louisville/MSU/Arizona or maybe a handful of others? No. Why? It's a lateral move or only a slight move up. Only three coaches have coached at more than one "traditional" power, and two had NBA stints in between (Brown, UCLA/Kansas and Pitino, UK/UL). The third (Williams, Kansas/UNC) made the move back to his alma mater.

Any other P5 schools? Sure, if we'd want them and they wanted to leave.

I think what bothers me the most is we had almost a week to prepare for this game, were going up against an average at best game coach, and this was the result. I'd also be very, very happy to never have to see Devonte Green play basketball again. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Can I ask why you think Beard would be a home run hire.  Is it just because of a couple of runs in the tournament.  Crean made it to the final  and most here did not think he was a good coach.  Not saying /beard wouldn't be a great coach here but there are no guarantee that he would either.

IU Scott, the main reason is Beard actually coaches an offense! From what I have seen his team plays hard and with a purpose! I would love to see that at IU again!

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

What if we would lose 12 in a row again. Not saying we will but would that be a basketball issue 2 years in a row ?

I was thinking the same thing earlier.  I don't think it will happen but you never know.  Who would have thought it would have happened last year especially with Juwan and Romeo.

A long losing streak will force the administration to react.  I can't imagine how bad the crowds would be at AH.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

IU Scott, no disrespect but you have way to low expectations for what IU can get!

Well since RMK left we have had plenty of openings and have not been able to land a huge name coach.  I just don't see coaches leaving their jobs like they use and look at UCLA where they have not been able to land those homerun coaches.  You see coaches like Few and Marshall that are willing to stay at their mid major programs over switching to bigger programs.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Like Tennessee did?  Like Louisville did?

Well I would put Mack and Archie in the same category where they were top young coaching candidates from a mid major program.  As for Barnes he was a good but not great coach and would you want him here.

Archived