Maryland post game

rico

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well since RMK left we have had plenty of openings and have not been able to land a huge name coach.  I just don't see coaches leaving their jobs like they use and look at UCLA where they have not been able to land those homerun coaches.  You see coaches like Few and Marshall that are willing to stay at their mid major programs over switching to bigger programs.

Few likes it at Gonzaga. Marshall may like it at WSU but he's basically got a salary guarantee as well.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well since RMK left we have had plenty of openings and have not been able to land a huge name coach.  I just don't see coaches leaving their jobs like they use and look at UCLA where they have not been able to land those homerun coaches.  You see coaches like Few and Marshall that are willing to stay at their mid major programs over switching to bigger programs.

I blame the administration for this!

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Well then you must be satisfied with the last 20 years i guess

No I am not satisfied but what does that have to do with this discussion.  I am just stating that some of you are really not looking at things objectively when it comes to this job status.

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Well, that depends. Are we going to get the coach from UK/UCLA/UNC/Duke/Kansas/Louisville/MSU/Arizona or maybe a handful of others? No. Why? It's a lateral move or only a slight move up. Only three coaches have coached at more than one "traditional" power, and two had NBA stints in between (Brown, UCLA/Kansas and Pitino, UK/UL). The third (Williams, Kansas/UNC) made the move back to his alma mater.

Any other P5 schools? Sure, if we'd want them and they wanted to leave.

and most of them will not be an homerun hire or any better candidate that Arche was.

6 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

IU Scott, the main reason is Beard actually coaches an offense! From what I have seen his team plays hard and with a purpose! I would love to see that at IU again!

I have seen a couple of his games this year and they barely scored 60  so it is not like his teams scores a ton of points.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again we didn’t offer 5/6 mil a year. That changes the landscape and we don’t really know what would happen

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

and most of them will not be an homerun hire or any better candidate that Arche was.

You don’t know that and there are plenty of coaches who have performed better than CAM in a power 5 they might be interested. You speak in absolutes and you shouldn’t do that since you don’t really know

Here’s a sobering thought: after starting with Mike Roberts as his anchor in year one, Crean went 27-9 in year 4.  I’ll bet all I own Archie won’t get to 27 wins next year. And I really thought Archie could come in and get it done.  Sooooooo wrong.  He’s in WAY over his head.  

Chris Beard is a fabulous coach on both ends of the floor, particularly defense. 

56 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

1.) Best post in this thread

2.) Only post worth breaking down anymore.

3.) Replace Capt Crunch (Albeit excellent potential) with Fruity Pebbles.

Honey Bunches of Oats has 30 something grams of protein in a box and is basically dessert.  Yum yum!

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No I am not satisfied but what does that have to do with this discussion.  I am just stating that some of you are really not looking at things objectively when it comes to this job status.

I completely respect your opinion, but I'm not sure you are looking at things objectively either. Before I went to med school I got to work in both NFL & MLB front offices. Admittedly it's not basketball, but it's foolish to think the Indiana brand wouldn't attract top tier coaches. This indeed is an administration problem. Just because a guy like Mark Few or Gregg Marshall wouldn't leave their setups to come to Bloomington might speak more to them than to the university itself. The Dallas Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl since 1995. It's a TREMENDOUS JOB that every NFL coach is going to listen to unless you are Bill Belichick. The same goes for the Yankees who haven't won a World Series in 10 years. Theo Epstein didn't have to go to the Cubs. Neither did Joe Maddon, but it was the Chicago Cubs. I don't care if they hadn't won a World Series in forever. It was the freakin' Cubs! It's the same reason Urban Meyer said if the Cowboys offered he'd accept. It's the Cowboys. 

The Indiana mystique might not be as big as it was under RMK, but he mystique is there and coaches know how the state of Indiana views basketball. To think IU couldn't attract a guy like Bruce Pearl, Chris Beard or Dana Altman seems silly to me. Could they get Krzyzewski or Williams or Few or Bennett? No, but Indiana wasn't going to get Dean Smith either. Is that a problem with Indiana? 

Indiana has 3 huge problems:

1. The shadow of Bob Knight
2. An administration that doesn't want basketball to succeed
3. An heir apparent to Knight that was groomed by RMK himself

I don't think any of those things have to do with who IU could or couldn't get to take the job. 

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

You’re don’t know that and there are plenty of coaches who have performed better than CAM in a power 5 they might be interested. You speak in absolutes and you shouldn’t do that since you don’t really know

It is funny the year we hired Archie he was considered the top young coaching candidate out there.  Tell me who you actually think would be an huge upgrade that would come here from the job they already have.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I would put Mack and Archie in the same category where they were top young coaching candidates from a mid major program.  As for Barnes he was a good but not great coach and would you want him here.

BS...Xavier is in the Big East.  

1 minute ago, Fundamentals said:

Here’s a sobering thought: after starting with Mike Roberts as his anchor in year one, Crean went 27-9 in year 4.  I’ll bet all I own Archie won’t get to 27 wins next year. And I really thought Archie could come in and get it done.  Sooooooo wrong.  He’s in WAY over his head.  

Chris Beard is a fabulous coach on both ends of the floor, particularly defense. 

Yikes.  That is an eye opener.  I said it earlier we kept seeing improvements early with CTC that gave us all hope.  Sadly with CAM right now the light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I completely respect your opinion, but I'm not sure you are looking at things objectively either. Before I went to med school I got to work in both NFL & MLB front offices. Admittedly it's not basketball, but it's foolish to think the Indiana brand wouldn't attract top tier coaches. This indeed is an administration problem. Just because a guy like Mark Few or Gregg Marshall wouldn't leave their setups to come to Bloomington might speak more to them than to the university itself. The Dallas Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl since 1995. It's a TREMENDOUS JOB that every NFL coach is going to listen to unless you are Bill Belichick. The same goes for the Yankees who haven't won a World Series in 10 years. Theo Epstein didn't have to go to the Cubs. Neither did Joe Maddon, but it was the Chicago Cubs. I don't care if they hadn't won a World Series in forever. It was the freakin' Cubs! It's the same reason Urban Meyer said if the Cowboys offered he'd accept. It's the Cowboys. 

The Indiana mystique might not be as big as it was under RMK, but he mystique is there and coaches know how the state of Indiana views basketball. To think IU couldn't attract a guy like Bruce Pearl, Chris Beard or Dana Altman seems silly to me. Could they get Krzyzewski or Williams or Few or Bennett? No, but Indiana wasn't going to get Dean Smith either. Is that a problem with Indiana? 

Indiana has 3 huge problems:

1. The shadow of Bob Knight
2. An administration that doesn't want basketball to succeed
3. An heir apparent to Knight that was groomed by RMK himself

I don't think any of those things have to do with who IU could or couldn't get to take the job. 

Beard might come but I doubt IU can out bid Nike for Altman and would never want Pearl.  Well if there was coach like Meyer out there in basketball then yes we could get them since they would not have a job at this time.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny the year we hired Archie he was considered the top young coaching candidate out there.  Tell me who you actually think would be an huge upgrade that would come here from the job they already have.

Many have already been mentioned. The point is you think no one wants to coach here and many of us think the opposite. 
let’s just leave it that. We understand were you stand.  Why not let the rest of debate it for the fun of talking about it with out having to bang out heads against the wall that is iuscott

50 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I stand by my comments about offensive/defensive efficiency rankings.  His teams only finished in the top 30 in defensive efficiency twice, and one year they were #30. I would say you’re not really elite unless you’re in the top 10-15.  And they finished in the top 30 in offensive efficiency twice in his first two years — but as we all know, the coach isn’t responsible for anything that happens in his first two years building a program.  Here are his offensive/defensive efficiency rankings at Dayton:

2012: 29/160

2013: 28/145

2014: 37/72

2015: 75/30

2016: 146/15

2017: 53/43

Outside of the #15 defense in 2016, thoroughly mediocre.  And sure, it’s not a mark against him that he couldn’t get elite talent at Dayton, but it’s not a point in his favor either.  And I’ve just never understood why people are so enamored with the fact that he made the tournament 4 years in a row in the A10.  Tom Crean made the tournament 3 years in a row in the Big East before he came to IU, and he’s the dumbest coach in basketball history according to many.  I just don’t see anything in his tenure at Dayton that makes people so absolutely sure he’s a good coach.  And I see a lot in his tenure at IU that makes me think the opposite.

I apologize. The numbers I looked up had his defense the last 3 years at 23, 25, and 29. Still doesn’t answer the question of calling it mediocre. Is anything outside of that elite 10-15 considered mediocre? Using those numbers, his first 3 years offensively Don’t appear to be mediocre either. I strongly disagree on your assessment. Also, what’s the point of bringing up his recruiting at Dayton? Saying he didn’t land an elite recruit at Dayton, but then saying it isn’t a point against him isn’t really fair. At the mid major level and below, you’re not looking for an elite recruit. You’re looking at how the pieces are going to fit. And if we’re using your definition of elite as top 10-15, then no mid major coach ever has been a good recruiter.

The 4 years shows consistency. I believe consistency is what everyone wants. Speaking for myself, I can see how Archie wants to play. Tough defense trying to force opponents to take contested shots from deep, while taking care of the ball and getting good shots on the offensive end. He wants them pushing the ball up the floor with the bigs rim running to get good post position before the defense gets set because he knows they struggle shooting the ball. What’s the best option for this team? What would you do different philosophy wise with this team?

People are frustrated and rightfully so. I don’t think it’s fair to attempt to discredit everything he did at Dayton though.

Archived