Maryland post game

rico

6 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

I totally agree.  Getting an upper tier, competent coach to Bloomington shouldn’t be an issue.  I do think that it will become harder the further into mediocrity this program falls

Give me names that fit that criteria that is available and willing to leave their jobs  Marshall is not leaving WSU and Beard maybe but I think is background with RMK might prevent him coming here.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Pat doesn’t want any coach bigger than the program.  He has made that very clear which of course any coach that wins big here would be.  He wants a yes man that wins 20 games and has us in the NCAA tournament most years but nothing more.  Trust me.

Then we get rid of Pat.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’m not saying he’s Bob Knight Basketball IQ but he’s not dumb. And he accomplished enough to respect that. No one believe when he signed at IU that he was garbage and no one would believe we’d be at this spot. 

I get your points, but I don’t see it as “he proved NOTHING ergo he was certainly going to fail.” I think there was enough hard facts to justify the hire.

Sure, and I was reasonably optimistic when he was initially hired as well.  Skipped class to go see his introductory press conference at Assembly Hall and left feeling pretty excited.  But his tenure has pretty much been an all-out dumpster fire, and there’s nothing on the horizon that makes it look like it will get any better.  Like I said, I think his philosophy has a fundamental flaw that will keep us from winning at a high level consistently, and the recruiting hasn’t been good enough.

And the only way I see that being the fault of the administration is that it may not be giving him enough leeway to cheat in recruiting like most elite programs do. That’s an unfortunate aspect of the IU job that is the fault of both the administration and the fanbase.

After losses posts sometimes  pop up saying that many overreact to one loss but there is an unmistakeable  pattern (not single game) that repeats itself:

*We don’t value the ball. Today we had 14 turnovers vs only 7 assists

*Effort is questioned

*Can’t shoot

*Scoring droughts

*Give up easy threes.

“It is what it is” but I will be watching, as always, the next game.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't agree because it did not work with Clyde Drexler, IT and it appears that Ewing is not going to work either.

Just throwing it out there in agreement that making a move doesn't have to mean taking a step back. 

Not saying it has to be a superstar NBA player.  Just one with an NBA pedigree/background.   That's huge with recruits today.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

That is the mentality that gets you nowhere. If that’s the mentality of the administration then IU is destined to suck.if you are a historic blue blood making over $100 million in revenue a year as athletic department, you go get your guy. You offer Beard $5 million and go win the day.  

Pitino

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think having Smith in the corner open abs ready for a kick out 3, only to try and drive it in is a flaw in the offensive

The offensive "scheme" is the flaw in the offense.  How many times on a possession did we pass up open looks only to wait to put up a bad shot?  If your open, let it fly.

2 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Serious question....Was Archie’s resume a bit inflated because of his brother’s success at Arizona?  Now that we know his brother is a scumbag cheater, it could be totally possible that what we are seeing in Archie is as good as it is going to get.  I agree with the comment above that he had one team at Dayton that caught fire at the right time and rode that momentum to the elite 8.  Based on that alone, Archie should have never been the top choice at IU

I can’t speak for others, but his tie to his brother wasn’t a factor for me because initially I didn’t even know. Lol! 🤦🏻‍♂️ Yes I know that’s crazy.

i wanted a big name and I felt we were finally in a spot to back a brinks truck up and do it. Now if we did try that behind the scenes fine I’m ok with trying and up and comer and his resume was about as good as any other options of an up and comer that was available at the time. With that it becomes a 50/50 gamble AT BEST.

BUT if we didn’t back the brinks truck up to anyone behind the scenes and we won’t, then our problem is above the basketball program. And If the fans don’t do anything but pout then some falls on us. We need insiders to find out what’s really going on and boosters and fanbase needs to unite and force changes if they’re needed at the top. And yes it CAN happen.

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Honestly if that is the problem and he does something as drastic and a huge exodus from the roster I honestly think that might even buy him another year with the fans. Because it would communicate to everyone “these players are a part of the problem” and “I’m doing something about it.” If he doesn’t idk if he can make it with the slow fix.

What I'm saying is it's too late.  The guys we were recruiting didn't want to compete with jrs and seniors for playing time.  Now we are kinda stuck with the hand we were dealt unless 1-2 grad early and transfer on their own.  Then CAM will have to scramble to fill the roster with guys ready to play high level d 1.  

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Sure, and I was reasonably optimistic when he was initially hired as well.  Skipped class to go see his introductory press conference at Assembly Hall and left feeling pretty excited.  But his tenure has pretty much been an all-out dumpster fire, and there’s nothing on the horizon that makes it look like it will get any better.  Like I said, I think his philosophy has a fundamental flaw that will keep us from winning at a high level consistently, and the recruiting hasn’t been good enough.

And the only way I see that being the fault of the administration is that it may not be giving him enough leeway to cheat in recruiting like most elite programs do. That’s an unfortunate aspect of the IU job that is the fault of both the administration and the fanbase.

I would agree with this. Almost 100%

Just now, rico said:

The offensive "scheme" is the flaw in the offense.  How many times on a possession did we pass up open looks only to wait to put up a bad shot?  If your open, let it fly.

I agree completely but if your guys are afraid to shoot the 3 or completely suck at it, maybe design an offense that is tailored to that instead of the stand around the 3 line like we do

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

What I'm saying is it's too late.  The guys we were recruiting didn't want to compete with jrs and seniors for playing time.  Now we are kinda stuck with the hand we were dealt unless 1-2 grad early and transfer on their own.  Then CAM will have to scramble to fill the roster with guys ready to play high level d 1.  

It might be too late. If the train continues off the track again the pressure next year might be too big to right the ship on time.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree completely but if your guys are afraid to shoot the 3 or completely suck at it, maybe design an offense that is tailored to that instead of the stand around the 3 line like we do

That is what I have been saying.  Change it.  Hell play up tempo.  Full court press, jack up shots , force it.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well we have bad guards who can't shoot and we have upper classman that has not bought into this system.  I think it is time for Archie to bench DG and Durham and Smith ad go younger.

And play who?  There are only 4 guards on the entire team and one is always injured or concussed.  

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Archie's not going anywhere for at least 2 years

I think next year we'll see addition by subtraction

I'm not giving up on this year. I still think we'll make the NCAA tourney

I haven't watched the game yet (DVRed it), but looking at the boxscore and these threads, seems like the same egg we laid in Madison.

I suspect you're correct about CAM.  IU just doesn't have a quick trigger unless the coach is breaking rules.

As far as next year, I don't know.  I can't see how our woeful shooting is going to improve just by "subtraction".

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

And play who?  There are only 4 guards on the entire team and one is always injured or concussed.  

And no one has been able to answer this for me yet... what exactly is wrong with Phinisee right now??  Everyone seems to just take it for granted that he’s “injured” even though there’s been no injury news for more than a month.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Give me names that fit that criteria that is available and willing to leave their jobs  Marshall is not leaving WSU and Beard maybe but I think is background with RMK might prevent him coming here.

Now that RMK is back living in B-Town he may be all for Beard righting the ship??

Archived