Maryland post game

rico

29 minutes ago, InThePaint said:

I understand that you have philosophical differences with Archie’s coaching style, but I think this is somewhat dishonest. He won 2 conference titles and made the tournament 4 times. I can see why people might call the elite 8 run a fluke, but I think making the tournament consistently speaks more.  You said his defensive efficiency was mediocre, yet his teams finished top 30 the last 3 years. What do you consider mediocre? I would say top 30 is pretty good. How many mid major coaches also land elite recruits? He had landed guys that fit his system and played how he wanted. Which helped him win consistently. 

I think he could definitely put more emphasis on 3 point shooting recruiting wise, but he recognizes that 3 point shooting isn’t this team’s strength. Attacking the basket, getting the ball inside and getting to the line gives this team the best shot to win. Not being able to shoot really hinders that and it has to be addressed.

At this point, I’m with BGleas. I think Archie can coach and I see what he’s trying to do with the big lineup as well. I do, however, think the small lineup is the best lineup. If TJD were to increase his draft stock and leave early, it will greatly increase my worry for next year. I think we end up with the same record as last year and are a borderline tournament team. Making or missing  the tournament this year will determine how the next 2 years go and right now, it’s doesn’t look great.

I stand by my comments about offensive/defensive efficiency rankings.  His teams only finished in the top 30 in defensive efficiency twice, and one year they were #30. I would say you’re not really elite unless you’re in the top 10-15.  And they finished in the top 30 in offensive efficiency twice in his first two years — but as we all know, the coach isn’t responsible for anything that happens in his first two years building a program.  Here are his offensive/defensive efficiency rankings at Dayton:

2012: 29/160

2013: 28/145

2014: 37/72

2015: 75/30

2016: 146/15

2017: 53/43

Outside of the #15 defense in 2016, thoroughly mediocre.  And sure, it’s not a mark against him that he couldn’t get elite talent at Dayton, but it’s not a point in his favor either.  And I’ve just never understood why people are so enamored with the fact that he made the tournament 4 years in a row in the A10.  Tom Crean made the tournament 3 years in a row in the Big East before he came to IU, and he’s the dumbest coach in basketball history according to many.  I just don’t see anything in his tenure at Dayton that makes people so absolutely sure he’s a good coach.  And I see a lot in his tenure at IU that makes me think the opposite.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Give me names that fit that criteria that is available and willing to leave their jobs  Marshall is not leaving WSU and Beard maybe but I think is background with RMK might prevent him coming here.

Beard is one you have to kick the tires on....I think Thad Matta, if his back allows it would be an upgrade.  Dan Fife has been around Izzo long enough and he has an IU pedigree so I think he would warrant a look.  There are guys out there that would be an upgrade over what we currently have.  Those are just 3 off the top of my head and probably not even the best ones...

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I can’t speak for others, but his tie to his brother wasn’t a factor for me because initially I didn’t even know. Lol! 🤦🏻‍♂️ Yes I know that’s crazy.

i wanted a big name and I felt we were finally in a spot to back a brinks truck up and do it. Now if we did try that behind the scenes fine I’m ok with trying and up and comer and his resume was about as good as any other options of an up and comer that was available at the time. With that it becomes a 50/50 gamble AT BEST.

BUT if we didn’t back the brinks truck up to anyone behind the scenes and we won’t, then our problem is above the basketball program. And If the fans don’t do anything but pout then some falls on us. We need insiders to find out what’s really going on and boosters and fanbase needs to unite and force changes if they’re needed at the top. And yes it CAN happen.

I dropped my season tickets this year after 10 years, does that count? I couldn’t take it any more.  It was a tough decision because we live in Center Grove and had looked forward to following Trayce.  I just got tired of putting in more effort to get to the games than the team put out on the floor

I'd like to see what Archie can do with a team without Green and Durham as featured guards.  Hopefully Phinisee isn't broken and can team with Franklin, Leal, and Galloway to hit some shots. Being Indiana kids I would hope they would be embarrassed by results like today and be motivated to be better. Of course it wouldn't hurt to have Hunter return to form but that may never happen. I can't see moving on from Miller yet but something has to change.

1 hour ago, GrangerHoosier said:

I'd hire Bruce Pearl in a heartbeat. 

I don't care about his questionable past. The dude just wins and the B1G would be terrified of him at Indiana. They are not scared of Archie.

He would kill it here.

He's not leaving Auburn, but he's exactly the type of guy it would be great to see at IU.  At least it'd be interesting, and probably win a lot more games.  If I could bet on it, I'd bet 100% Archie Miller doesn't coach IU next year.  7-13 at best in conference won't cut it in year 3 even with a tough schedule.

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I know you're right. Admittedly, I'm a bit frustrated. This team needs to go small to create space and driving lanes, feature TJD in the middle, and somehow Archie needs to figure out how to get his guys to play confident, not scared, on the perimeter (something he's been unable to do in 2.5 years).

I agree that we need to go small but right now TJD and Brunk is playing the best on this team

11 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

In theory but given what I've seen on the court we will be lucky to win 8 conference games.

What have you seen?  Getting beat by 2 teams on the road badly, one ranked the other playing well.  A loss at home to a good Arkansas team.  How about that Florida St. win?  UConn?  And don't be surprised if 8 wins in the B1G gets us into the NCAAT

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I'd like to see what Archie can do with a team without Green and Durham as featured guards.  Hopefully Phinisee isn't broken and can team with Franklin, Leal, and Galloway to hit some shots. Being Indiana kids I would hope they would be embarrassed by results like today and be motivated to be better. Of course it wouldn't hurt to have Hunter return to form but that may never happen. I can't see moving on from Miller yet but something has to change.

I agree with this to an extent. The guard cupboard was left bare by Crean. Green and Durham are not top-tier program players and we’re relying on them. I was actually giving Archie this a point I’m his column for the call for patience, but my issue now is I don’t see the real upgrades coming. I really like Phinisee, Franklin, Leal, Galloway and Geronimo, but let’s also be honest, they’re good 3-4 year foundational pieces. But, I don’t see the elite guard/wing in the pipeline. You still need some elite playmakers to win. 

Maybe Phinisee recovers and makes the leap we all thought. Maybe Geronimo turns into the next Oladipo. But it would instill a lot more confidence if there was a stud guard and wing coming that we could count on as well. 

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

This doesn't make me feel any better but... Anybody take a look at the game stats?  They are surprisingly even considering we got blown out.  We even outrebounded them.   FT's were the only big difference.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Points off turnovers?

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Archie has had every opportunity to at least limit their playing time and play/feature Phinisee and Franklin a bulk of the minutes.  Instead, he has done just the opposite.  He is a former D1 point guard from the ACC....grooming guards should be his specialty.  

6 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

I dropped my season tickets this year after 10 years, does that count? I couldn’t take it any more.  It was a tough decision because we live in Center Grove and had looked forward to following Trayce.  I just got tired of putting in more effort to get to the games than the team put out on the floor

I certainly can respect that 100%. And that’s one way that fans can force change.

16 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Beard is one you have to kick the tires on....I think Thad Matta, if his back allows it would be an upgrade.  Dan Fife has been around Izzo long enough and he has an IU pedigree so I think he would warrant a look.  There are guys out there that would be an upgrade over what we currently have.  Those are just 3 off the top of my head and probably not even the best ones...

I don't get the love for Fife and don't forget Crean coached under Izzo as well.  If Fife had not played at IU would you even give him a second look as a HC candidate.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Like I have said before Archie was not  in my top 5 on my wish list when we were looking for a coach.  I tried to be patient ad give him a chance and will still be there every game rooting for this team to win.  Probably my problem today is that I came to the board right away and I am posting what I think when I am watching the game.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me, anyone watching that game would have a hard time saying that the program is going in the right direction.  I really like Archie Miller as a person.  He's smart, he takes accountability, he put Dayton on the map, they were not a relevant program before.  But this is just not working.  I can't point to one player on this team that has gotten better.  Not one.  Even with some of the Crean recruits, you'd still thnk some of them would have improved.

2 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

He's not leaving Auburn, but he's exactly the type of guy it would be great to see at IU.  At least it'd be interesting, and probably win a lot more games.  If I could bet on it, I'd bet 100% Archie Miller doesn't coach IU next year.  7-13 at best in conference won't cut it in year 3 even with a tough schedule.

Pearl would walk to Bloomington for the IU job.

Its exactly the type of situation he wants. Auburn is small time and he isn’t making much.

pitino, Pearl, Beard

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree that we need to go small but right now TJD and Brunk is playing the best on this team

You can go small and still play them a lot of minutes. Shorten the rotation. But right now, having 3 guys on the court that can’t shoot or dribble drive is completely neutering the offense. The wings and guards have no room to operate and the collapsing of the defense also prevents TJD and Brunk from having room to operate. It’s killing us offensively. 

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

I certainly can respect that 100%. And that’s one way that fans can force change.

Yup...over $35k not including gas over 10+ years of football, basketball, soccer and baseball.  We kept our football tix as those games are much more enjoyable than basketball

Archived