Maryland post game

rico

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No I didn’t. But something we have to be aware of incdiscussing that’s era, is that the landscape has changed dramatically since the Sampson debacle. Schools are doing far worse than what Sampson did and getting literally no consequences from the NCAA. Part of the Sampson mess was how incredibly poorly IU handled it, which goes back to the inept administration. 

Exactly. The fact an intern caught him and caused us to self report is why we'll struggle to get a top tier coach again though. Coaches want to be enabled to do their job as best they can, not be hamstrung by their bosses.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.

Cheerios for a healthy heart

Raisin Bran to stay regular

Captain Crunch because it tastes so dang good.

1.) Best post in this thread

2.) Only post worth breaking down anymore.

3.) Replace Capt Crunch (Albeit excellent potential) with Fruity Pebbles.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

What have you seen?  Getting beat by 2 teams on the road badly, one ranked the other playing well.  A loss at home to a good Arkansas team.  How about that Florida St. win?  UConn?  And don't be surprised if 8 wins in the B1G gets us into the NCAAT

Although I do agree with you, I think the Florida state was a Green scoring 30 fluke. Great win and will help our resume but we lose if he doesn’t go off like that. And yes I know that that’s how basketball works. I just think it clouds what this team really is by using that as the measuring stick. Just my opinion though. Trying to not to be super pessimistic today

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

After we got the game within 3 with 14 minutes left Maryland went on a 35 to 8 run for 10 minutes. Indiana didn't get blown out for 40 minutes. They got blown out for 10 minutes in the second half. What is wrong with this team?

They also got smoked the last 932 of the first half.  17-4

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't get the for Fife and don't forget Crean coached under Izzo as well.  If Fife had not played at IU would you even give him a second look as a HC candidate.

Good point on Fife.  I didn’t like Crean from Day 1. Without an IU background, I probably wouldn’t know who Dane was.....BUT, with that said, he is one of my Top 5 all time players and I would love to see what he could bring.  

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You can go small and still play them a lot of minutes. Shorten the rotation. But right now, having 3 guys on the court that can’t shoot or dribble drive is completely neutering the offense. The wings and guards have no room to operate and the collapsing of the defense also prevents TJD and Brunk from having room to operate. It’s killing us offensively. 

Problem is even if we go small we will still have no one that can really soot the 3

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is no way to defend this performance.

No heart

No passion

No will to win

That said, I hope we can shift the discussion away from 'coaching replacements' and focus on what needs to be done to get this team where it needs to be.

I, for one, think it's time to significantly shorten the rotation.

Rob, Justin, TJD, and Good Devonte need to be playing 30+ minutes.

Al, Joey, Race (despite his really bad day today), and Deron split minutes as the 5th-8th guys.

Damezi, Jerome, and Armaan should only be getting minutes when necessary, and should be on a very short leash when they do play.

To add to this, I feel like all of Archie's teams have all played with no confidence on offense. They are tentative, if not confused, on what to do with the ball within the flow of the offense. Interior guys feel the need to force shots and perimeter guys hesitate from beyond the arch. There's little fluidity between the two, which only adds to bad shots and turnovers at crucial times. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Archie's not going anywhere for at least 2 years

I think next year we'll see addition by subtraction

I'm not giving up on this year. I still think we'll make the NCAA tourney

I haven't watched the game yet (DVRed it), but looking at the boxscore and these threads, seems like the same egg we laid in Madison.

Let me save you some anticipation- this team is not making the NCAA tournament this year.  Might win the NIT, who knows.  My question is- why *two* more years?  If they miss the tournament this year and next year, he gets another year?  Or were you assuming they make the tournament both years?  I'm asking because most of my friends who are IU fans agree with you that he's here next year, but they almost all think he should be let go if IU misses the NCAA tournament both this year and next year.  As far as the game itself- well, I don't read too much into the lack of effort at times in the second half- because the effort was there most of the game and really only went away when the game was out of reach.  Not saying that's OK- but the reality is, it's impossible to stay in these games without shooters, and you're going to get blowouts where the team quits.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Were you saying that today when we were 1 for 17 from 3.  We did hit a couple in the last 3 minutes after Maryland called off the dogs

Might as well at least then, they can’t just stack the paint if a couple start falling. Give everyone free range to shoot, no consequences, just green light shooting from anywhere. Maybe they loosen up abs start hitting. Then you open the post game

and I mean green light from any spot by anyone. No yelling, no bad looks or head shakes. Just clapping and cheering

1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

I’m almost there with you! I posted in the predictions thread.....double digit loss and more of the same and got a couple laughs!! I’m not laughing this absolutely sucks!! I’m  sick of my team looking like this!!

Yeah, anyone who has been watching the game knows 6.5 was too few points.  I did tell a buddy to take Maryland and he did- I would never bet against IU but there's no reason to ever expect them to play well on the road in conference.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Problem is even if we go small we will still have no one that can really soot the 3

Why not try Bybee at this point?  He doesn’t have to play the whole game, but give him a shot. Heck, we played mcroberts as a walk on. If he can at least be a 3 threat, it will open the inside for our bigs. Give Race the Brian Sloan role and tell him to pick everyone to get bybee open

Archived