It's Officially Bucket Week

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Looking forward to it. I thought there was a 2% chance we’d win in Iowa City. Easily the best Purdue win in 5+ years. 

Truthfully.  After some of the wins Iowa had this year, I felt there was no chance for your Boilers going into the game with Iowa.  Equally, I was very impressed with their game.  Best game I have seen them perform all year.  All I can say is, great job.... and bring it on !

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Truthfully.  After some of the wins Iowa had this year, I felt there was no chance for your Boilers going into the game with Iowa.  Equally, I was very impressed with their game.  Best game I have seen them perform all year.  All I can say is, great job.... and bring it on !

Right?! We’ve won more games this year than the last two combined and only 4 less than the entire last 4 years (9 to 5). Even if we lose to IU, this season has way exceeded my expectations. Brohm is the real deal. 

Purdue has played better this year than I expected, but I still think we should win this game.  We're much better than a 5-6 team, and I said it for a few weeks, we just needed a win to get our mindset back.  The last two weeks showed that.  Lagow has been playing well, our defense has been playing excellent.  I'm expecting a win.

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Purdue has played better this year than I expected, but I still think we should win this game.  We're much better than a 5-6 team, and I said it for a few weeks, we just needed a win to get our mindset back.  The last two weeks showed that.  Lagow has been playing well, our defense has been playing excellent.  I'm expecting a win.

Don’t you think it’s fair to say Purdue is better than a 5-6 team? They could very easily be 7-4. I’m expecting a competitive game but wouldn’t be surprised if Purdue is favored. 

Looking forward to this one. We all are. Temps look to warm back up for next weekend so weather won't be an issue. Actually considering going now. Either way. Would love to us get the W and get to 3 straight bowls. Secondly...big tip of the cap to Brohm. Worst roster in Big 10 and he has them on cusp of bowl eligibility. If I were a fan in Illinois I'd be asking Lovie after year 2 what's up?

Purdue absolutely deserved to win yesterday, very surprised by the result.  Brohm has done an incredible job, but definitely benefitted from playing in the West.

If you give Purdue our schedule there is no way they have 5 wins right now.  Substitute Iowa and Minnesota for Penn State and Ohio State is a huge difference.

Vegas will come out with a betting line later today.  I am guessing a PK or PU -1, what does everyone else think?

Our total for the Rutger game was 46.  Purdue is better offensively than Rutger, so 54 might not be far off.  I will say 50.

I desperately need a win this week.  My wife and I went to IU, but her brother went to PU.  Makes for a fun family rivalry, but a loss after getting swept in hoops last year won't be good.

Plus her sister and my sister went to Indiana State, so I have already taken a lot of grief this month.

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t you think it’s fair to say Purdue is better than a 5-6 team? They could very easily be 7-4. I’m expecting a competitive game but wouldn’t be surprised if Purdue is favored. 

I can agree with that to an extent, but Purdue's schedule has allowed for a lot more possibilities of getting wins than IU's.  We played arguably the toughest 5 teams in the conference.  Not trying to take anything away from Purdue's wins, more just saying that we got screwed on scheduling this year.

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think arguing about who is a better team when both have losing records is a bit silly.  You guys may have a better win in the one you got yesterday.  But you may have the worse loss (Rutgers).  IU's tougher schedule overall and better non-conference win (@Virginia) may balance that Iowa win.  If I want to put on my crimson colored glasses I could also say that IU could be 7-4 right now, too.  Frankly, they shouldn't be 7-4.  There is a reason both teams are 5-6.  This is a game of two pretty mediocre teams IMO.  Their records indicate that.  I do think that Purdue has most of the intangibles heading into the game...playing at home, lost 4 in a row in the series.  Both teams needing a win to go to a bowl is a wash.  Your DC should be coordinator of the year if there is such a thing.  And if you guys win and go to a bowl Brohm should be coach of the year.  What he and Holt have done with Purdue's talent has, frankly, been amazing.  Oh, and yes, Purdue should be favored probably because it is at Purdue.  If the game was in Bloomington IU would probably be favored.  Should be an interesting game.  First team to 20 might win.

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue is greatly improved, but they've benefited from a much more favorable schedule, and I think you're slightly caught up in the moment (hard to blame you or any Purdue fan, though).  Honestly, if anything, they're right where they should be or are actually a worse team than 5-6, as several opponents have simply rolled over for them.  I'm not trying to diminish Purdue's improvement here, but I really don't think Purdue is better than their record shows. 

On the other hand, I think IU is better than their record.

IU is currently ranked 22 in total defense and has played played four teams ranked higher than them in this regard (#'s 2, 3, 8, 16) as well as five teams ranked higher than Purdue (UVA at 34).

Purdue is currently ranked 35 in total defense (impressive for sure), BUT has only played three teams ranked higher than them (3, 8, 28), and only two teams with a better defense than IU.

IU and Purdue are 81 and 82, respectively, in total offense.  IU has played three teams ranked higher (4, 31, 45), while Purdue has played five (3, 11, 40, 65, 72), though one of them was Ohio.

So Purdue is going up against the third best defense they've seen all year, while IU has already faced FIVE teams better than Purdue on that side of the ball, and IU has managed to put up very slightly better offensive numbers despite this.  Add to the fact that IU has played three CFP caliber teams this year while Purdue has only played one, and I think it's obvious, that, on paper, IU is the better team.

That being said, it's a rivalry game, and I think it's truly up in the air as both teams have A LOT to play for.  It helps Purdue that it's a home game for them this year.

People were expressing the same surprise about Allen turning around the Indiana Defense last year , as they are with Brohm's staff turning around the Purdue Defense now. 

There were already some flashes that they were capable, just as there were with IU when Knorr was running the D under Wilson, prior to Allen coming in . 

The bad outweighing the good simply obscured it , and it's why nobody gave them credit for being capable of such turnaround, but when you watch almost all of these games, it was there whether anyone chose to see it or not. If anyone needs help to see what I am referring to I will do my thing like the past HSN site and link some games. 

I chose to see what was there on my DVR recordings , youtube full game vids, Where I saw it is beside the point that I did, so I am not shocked about neither their record nor their defense.I am surprised about their win yesterday but that is more because of how Iowa had been playing save for the Wiscy game .

Other than that, I agree with everything else most have already said here. Very deserving staff to win some awards, and but I have to give Coach Of The Year to  Dantonio, right now.

Sorry., THAT surprised me more because I felt he was possibly losing his team and program for a short time earlier THIS season.. That changed of course.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Purdue is greatly improved, but they've benefited from a much more favorable schedule, and I think you're slightly caught up in the moment (hard to blame you or any Purdue fan, though).  Honestly, if anything, they're right where they should be or are actually a worse team than 5-6, as several opponents have simply rolled over for them.  I'm not trying to diminish Purdue's improvement here, but I really don't think Purdue is better than their record shows. 

On the other hand, I think IU is better than their record.

IU is currently ranked 22 in total defense and has played played four teams ranked higher than them in this regard (#'s 2, 3, 8, 16) as well as five teams ranked higher than Purdue (UVA at 34).

Purdue is currently ranked 35 in total defense (impressive for sure), BUT has only played three teams ranked higher than them (3, 8, 28), and only two teams with a better defense than IU.

IU and Purdue are 81 and 82, respectively, in total offense.  IU has played three teams ranked higher (4, 31, 45), while Purdue has played five (3, 11, 40, 65, 72), though one of them was Ohio.

So Purdue is going up against the third best defense they've seen all year, while IU has already faced FIVE teams better than Purdue on that side of the ball, and IU has managed to put up very slightly better offensive numbers despite this.  Add to the fact that IU has played three CFP caliber teams this year while Purdue has only played one, and I think it's obvious, that, on paper, IU is the better team.

That being said, it's a rivalry game, and I think it's truly up in the air as both teams have A LOT to play for.  It helps Purdue that it's a home game for them this year.

Can you elaborate when you say that several teams have rolled for Purdue? 

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can you elaborate when you say that several teams have rolled for Purdue? 

Okay, Iowa played like they were the worst team in the Big Ten yesterday, Missouri didn't bother to show up against you, and even Louisville did just about everything they could to help Purdue win that game, and Purdue lost despite that.

Edit: I guess my overall point is that your fans think the outcome of the bucket game is a forgone conclusion and are even discussing which bowl game Purdue WILL go to before they even play one of their most formidable opponents of the year.  While Purdue played well yesterday and has played well all season, your win was more about how badly Iowa played.  I mean, the only teams that are CLEARLY better than IU that Purdue has played are Wisconsin and Michigan.  IU fields the toughest defense you'll face all year outside of those two.

I can only hope Purdue's football team has as much misplaced confidence.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Okay, Iowa played like they were the worst team in the Big Ten yesterday, Missouri didn't bother to show up against you, and even Louisville did just about everything they could to help Purdue win that game, and Purdue lost despite that.

Edit: I guess my overall point is that your fans think the outcome of the bucket game is a forgone conclusion and are even discussing which bowl game Purdue WILL go to before they even play one of their most formidable opponents of the year.  While Purdue played well yesterday and has played well all season, your win was more about how badly Iowa played.  I mean, the only teams that are CLEARLY better than IU that Purdue has played are Wisconsin and Michigan.  IU fields the toughest defense you'll face all year outside of those two.

I can only hope Purdue's football team has as much misplaced confidence.

I’m sorry but I completely disagree with you here. I think it’s laughable that you say that the win was more about how badly Iowa played. Don’t you think you can attribute that to Purdue and how good their defense was? It’s not like they made dumb mistakes and Purdue got lucky. Purdue’s defense played a hell of a game and simply outplayed them. Purdue won that game more than Iowa lost it. 

And I don’t think most Purdue fans assume that we’ll win on Saturday. I know that many are hopeful but most of us realize IU has a solid team and it’s not a given that Purdue will win. It’s a 2.5 point spread so clearly it’s assumed it’ll be close. 

So I’m guessing Rutgers didn’t bother to show up against you? Or maybe I’ll just credit IU for playing a great game and not just assume it’s because Rutgers didn’t show up. 

Regardless of everything else, I don’t think even the craziest Purdue fan would’ve expected 5 wins this year. Brohm and staff have done a fantastic job this year and I like the potential of Purdue the next several years. Once he gets his recruits in, I’ll be pumped. 

Also, I’d debate that Northwestern and Louisville are better than IU. I think Iowa is a similar team that is at worst equal to IU. The teams Purdue played that are worse are Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Ohio. The others (Mizzou,  UL, NW, and Iowa) are toss-ups. 

Archived