It's Officially Bucket Week

19 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t you think it’s fair to say Purdue is better than a 5-6 team? They could very easily be 7-4. I’m expecting a competitive game but wouldn’t be surprised if Purdue is favored. 

No offense, but I hate it when people say this (and to be fair, our fans are guilty of it as well). You either won or you lost. You are what your record says you are.

32 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m sorry but I completely disagree with you here. I think it’s laughable that you say that the win was more about how badly Iowa played. Don’t you think you can attribute that to Purdue and how good their defense was? It’s not like they made dumb mistakes and Purdue got lucky. Purdue’s defense played a hell of a game and simply outplayed them. Purdue won that game more than Iowa lost it. 

And I don’t think most Purdue fans assume that we’ll win on Saturday. I know that many are hopeful but most of us realize IU has a solid team and it’s not a given that Purdue will win. It’s a 2.5 point spread so clearly it’s assumed it’ll be close. 

So I’m guessing Rutgers didn’t bother to show up against you? Or maybe I’ll just credit IU for playing a great game and not just assume it’s because Rutgers didn’t show up. 

Regardless of everything else, I don’t think even the craziest Purdue fan would’ve expected 5 wins this year. Brohm and staff have done a fantastic job this year and I like the potential of Purdue the next several years. Once he gets his recruits in, I’ll be pumped. 

Also, I’d debate that Northwestern and Louisville are better than IU. I think Iowa is a similar team that is at worst equal to IU. The teams Purdue played that are worse are Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Ohio. The others (Mizzou,  UL, NW, and Iowa) are toss-ups. 

You know, I get it, you're a Purdue fan and you are really happy with the way the year has gone and even more so with the win at Iowa, but, yeah, Iowa clearly thought they were going to cakewalk through that game, and they paid the price when Purdue capitalized on it. 

Also, I said Wisconsin  and Michigan are the only teams CLEARLY better than IU, but I stand firm in my belief that IU will be a much tougher defense to play against than any other team you listed save for those two.

Purdue is not better than their record, and if anything, they've overachieved this year, which is not to take any credit away from the great job Brohm has done, but I think Purdue fans now think their team is better than it actually is.

That being said, I think in the near future, the bucket game is more about which bowl each team will go to instead of if they will.

Goes without saying it would be foolish to be a Purdue fan and not think that Brohm or his agents phone is getting lit up this week. I can appreciate the company line all day long but in the real world my guess is at least 3-4 schools have reached out in the past 2-3 weeks. We'll see if it translates to the field. My guess probably not but we'll know by 330 on Saturday.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

You know, I get it, you're a Purdue fan and you are really happy with the way the year has gone and even more so with the win at Iowa, but, yeah, Iowa clearly thought they were going to cakewalk through that game, and they paid the price when Purdue capitalized on it. 

Also, I said Wisconsin  and Michigan are the only teams CLEARLY better than IU, but I stand firm in my belief that IU will be a much tougher defense to play against than any other team you listed save for those two.

Purdue is not better than their record, and if anything, they've overachieved this year, which is not to take any credit away from the great job Brohm has done, but I think Purdue fans now think their team is better than it actually is.

That being said, I think in the near future, the bucket game is more about which bowl each team will go to instead of if they will.

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think Iowa thought that at all. They had just gotten shellacked at Wisconsin after a big win against OSU. They clearly knew Purdue was a much better team than the previous 4 years and wouldn’t take them lightly. If this was a Hazell-led team, I’d agree they’d think they could cakewalk. But not with Brohm at the helm. 

10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

No offense, but I hate it when people say this (and to be fair, our fans are guilty of it as well). You either won or you lost. You are what your record says you are.

I  am not sure I completely agree Wat.  Hypothetical schedule here...5-6 playing Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota as a core conference schedule is not the same as being 5-6 while playing Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Penn State.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We are 3 point underdogs, actually.

Weird, I read the sportsline link 247 sent out and it said vegas predicted the score at IU 25 vs Purdue 23. I didnt notice it went on to say Purdue was a  -2.5 favorite. That makes zero sense to me but whatever...I’ll take IU with the points

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Hoping for at least 50k. 

I think Purdue’s ticket prices hurt them. Face value for sideline seats are $75. As of two days ago I could still buy 8 seats on the 35 yardline in row 33. People aren’t going to pay that to see two 5-6 teams when they can watch from their living rooms

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I think Purdue’s ticket prices hurt them. Face value for sideline seats are $75. As of two days ago I could still buy 8 seats on the 35 yardline in row 33. People aren’t going to pay that to see two 5-6 teams when they can watch from their living rooms

They’ve had deals going the last week to help with that. They had a $10 deal last week and a $25 deal this week. I think the crowd will be solid. 

On 11/19/2017 at 1:16 PM, rogue3542 said:

Purdue is greatly improved, but they've benefited from a much more favorable schedule, and I think you're slightly caught up in the moment (hard to blame you or any Purdue fan, though).  Honestly, if anything, they're right where they should be or are actually a worse team than 5-6, as several opponents have simply rolled over for them.  I'm not trying to diminish Purdue's improvement here, but I really don't think Purdue is better than their record shows. 

On the other hand, I think IU is better than their record.

IU is currently ranked 22 in total defense and has played played four teams ranked higher than them in this regard (#'s 2, 3, 8, 16) as well as five teams ranked higher than Purdue (UVA at 34).

Purdue is currently ranked 35 in total defense (impressive for sure), BUT has only played three teams ranked higher than them (3, 8, 28), and only two teams with a better defense than IU.

IU and Purdue are 81 and 82, respectively, in total offense.  IU has played three teams ranked higher (4, 31, 45), while Purdue has played five (3, 11, 40, 65, 72), though one of them was Ohio.

So Purdue is going up against the third best defense they've seen all year, while IU has already faced FIVE teams better than Purdue on that side of the ball, and IU has managed to put up very slightly better offensive numbers despite this.  Add to the fact that IU has played three CFP caliber teams this year while Purdue has only played one, and I think it's obvious, that, on paper, IU is the better team.

That being said, it's a rivalry game, and I think it's truly up in the air as both teams have A LOT to play for.  It helps Purdue that it's a home game for them this year.

Looking back on this, I’m surprised at how well we ran the ball. Markell was amazing today. 

On 11/22/2017 at 4:02 PM, Hoosier82 said:

Attendance was fantastic today (just over 52k I believe). Great to see that turnout. 

On 11/25/2017 at 9:12 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Looking back on this, I’m surprised at how well we ran the ball. Markell was amazing today. 

I haven't been avoiding this, I've just been busy all weekend.  Purdue played very well, particularly in the running game.  IU's run defense was the worst it's been all year.  I don't have time to go look at stats, but I don't think anyone ran quite so well, which is a testament to how much Purdue wanted the game as much as it is an indictment on how little IU seemed to care.

A few big plays were the main difference in score - PU touchdown pass that was an inch from being an IU interception, the fake punt, and two Simmie Cobbs touchdowns that weren't.  The real narrative, though, was Purdue ran and ran and ran, and IU couldn't stop it.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I haven't been avoiding this, I've just been busy all weekend.  Purdue played very well, particularly in the running game.  IU's run defense was the worst it's been all year.  I don't have time to go look at stats, but I don't think anyone ran quite so well, which is a testament to how much Purdue wanted the game as much as it is an indictment on how little IU seemed to care.

A few big plays were the main difference in score - PU touchdown pass that was an inch from being an IU interception, the fake punt, and two Simmie Cobbs touchdowns that weren't.  The real narrative, though, was Purdue ran and ran and ran, and IU couldn't stop it.

Didn’t think you were avoiding it. Yep it was a solid game to watch. 

Archived