Jacksonville

btownqb

We drove down on the 31st, stayed in Athens... and drove to Savannah and then to Jax on the 1st. 

Went out that night.. found a couple decent places bars wise, ate at a great restaurant in Neptune Beach.  

Uber drivers were incredibly nice. 

Once at the game on the 2nd, amphitheatre that connects to the stadium looked really nice.. 

After that it was a pretty crappy event: sold out of food in the 2nd quarter, lines were crazy long and slow, after the game the bars around the stadium weren't prepared at all. Jax as a city wasnt a dump or anything they just had zero clue how to run an event. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

We drove down on the 31st, stayed in Athens... and drove to Savannah and then to Jax on the 1st. 

Went out that night.. found a couple decent places bars wise, ate at a great restaurant in Neptune Beach.  

Once at the game on the 2nd, amphitheatre that connects to the stadium looked really nice.. 

After that it was a pretty crappy event: sold out of food in the 2nd quarter, lines were crazy long and slow, after the game the bars around the stadium weren't prepared at all. Jax as a city wasnt a dump or anything they just had zero clue how to run an event. 

I've been to that stadium twice over the years for games. With the exception of Soldier Field (even as a Bears fan it just stinks)....it's just bad attending a game there...horrible in and out and still can't believe they got a Super Bowl. Glad you guys went but reports like these don't surprise me at all.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've been to that stadium twice over the years for games. With the exception of Soldier Field (even as a Bears fan it just stinks)....it's just bad attending a game there...horrible in and out and still can't believe they got a Super Bowl. Glad you guys went but reports like these don't surprise me at all.

So you never brought your swimming suit and went into the pool at the stadium

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Very similar to our experience. Drove to Alpharetta on the 1st then to Jacksonville early the second. 

The stadium itself was very cool (even had a dog park) but unprepared. I saw the same slow lines that ran out of most things. I even heard a bar down the road ran out of beer at 1pm on game day. 

We did get some fantastic BBQ in Jacksonville (Gators) and seafood on Amelia Island. 
We stopped in Neptune beach to see the ocean and it was really cool. There were a few restaurants in the area that looked cool. 

Overall it was a really fun trip that was interrupted by a disappointing football game. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Hope you had fun...

Forgot to mention.. we bought tickets to the Big Red Warm Up party the of the game at River City Brewery. All you can eat and all you can drink with a water taxi to the game.

Fantastic event. IU put it on.. it was awesome. Right on the river. Place was huge.. great food (pulled chicken and grouper) and great beer. 

20200102_144500.jpg

Just now, btownqb said:

An absolute blast

Good, I heard the same thing that you said from my cousin.  He attended the game as well.  He compared it to going to the county fair.  Said the rides(game) were great but they didn't have enough corn dogs or cotton candy.

I’ve got a cousin who was born in Jacksonville.  It’s been awhile but I used to go down there.  I thought it was slightly run down but there’s still nice stuff around and some good areas nearby. 

I am glad you went and enjoyed it.  IU has a great fan base.  I always love it when I’m with IU people.  Best fan base anywhere.  

How an entire stadium runs out of food is beyond me.  Half the #$%^ is frozen anyway, just build a doomsday sized stash. 

Although there was that time in the late 90s (1998?), I was at a NASCAR race in Atlanta that experienced a long rain delay.  The track completely ran out of beer.  I'll repeat that.  A NASCAR event ran out of beer.  I saw a guy tumble down at least 5 rows of aluminum bleachers, stand back up, shake himself off like a wet dog and kept right on going. 

Archived