Durham's Elbow shot

DWB

I did a search here, but couldn't find anything that was posted, so here goes...

Are any of you guys (and guyettes) even remotely concerned about Durham's cheap shot elbow he threw in the Arkansas game? I'm sure the guy he threw it against had been harassing him, holding, pushing and the like, but geez....that's part of the D1 game now days.

I was very disappointed in one of the "leaders" of the team throwing that kind of cheap shot (or any player on the team). No place at IU for flagrant behavior IMO.

I was actually surprised Archie didn't take any kind of disciplinary action.

Would like to hear your guys take on it. I know I'm old school, but...

I never got to see the actual replay.  I was at the game and didn't know it happened until a play or two later.  There was a lot of trash talk leading up to that play.  I am sure the TV did not show all of the side activity.  TJD, Al and Brunk all had some words after shots or on D.  If the elbow was as stated there is no place for that.  He needs to let his game talk for him and the coach work the ref.

4 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I never got to see the actual replay.  I was at the game and didn't know it happened until a play or two later.  There was a lot of trash talk leading up to that play.  I am sure the TV did not show all of the side activity.  TJD, Al and Brunk all had some words after shots or on D.  If the elbow was as stated there is no place for that.  He needs to let his game talk for him and the coach work the ref.

I was watching the game and actually saw the elbow when it happened and was surprise the refs missed it.  It wasn't until the next timeout that the refs reviewed it and saw what happen.

Not worried in the least. If there was a history maybe....but with Al? One brief thing. Honestly haven't even thought about it. Admittedly when I saw the thread I was hoping you were bringing up Al hitting his shot from the elbow.....which he was doing pretty well at times last year.

31 minutes ago, DWB said:

I did a search here, but couldn't find anything that was posted, so here goes...

Are any of you guys (and guyettes) even remotely concerned about Durham's cheap shot elbow he threw in the Arkansas game? I'm sure the guy he threw it against had been harassing him, holding, pushing and the like, but geez....that's part of the D1 game now days.

I was very disappointed in one of the "leaders" of the team throwing that kind of cheap shot (or any player on the team). No place at IU for flagrant behavior IMO.

I was actually surprised Archie didn't take any kind of disciplinary action.

Would like to hear your guys take on it. I know I'm old school, but...

Concerned about the cheap shot? Yes Surprised that Al did it at center court, right in front of the official(s)?  No, he makes dumb mistakes constantly.  Surprised that Archie started him next game? No. Concerned that Archie started him the next game? YES.  

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Nasty is one thing and cheap is another.  One I admire and the other i despise

I acknowledge, respect, and envy those players who have a chip on their shoulder and battle.  I may not *like* those guys, but wish they were on our team (Skiles, Cardinal, Burson to name a few from the past).

Cheap shots or dirty play is unacceptable.  It was wrong for AD to do it, it was wrong when the juco we had during the crean years did something similar and it was no more wrong when the guy smacked Zeller in the jewels (maybe a little worse 😲😲

Was at the game and did not see it.  A lot of IU fans think it was a cheap shot, so it probably was.  But, I wonder if we are judging it more for how his getting thrown out was a big factor in the loss.  

If it was as bad as it sounds, it would have been the perfect reason to get Rob in the Starting lineup vs. Maryland.

All that said, if we were happy with the team, the overall reaction would be different.  Didn't Dane Fife bite someone once?  Yet, he's viewed as a competitor and not a cheap shot artist.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Total non-issue, he barely even touched him.  Should have been a flagrant 1 and play on.  This is absolutely the least of our troubles.

Agree. Was it a dumb thing to do? Absolutely. But it was a blip on the screen. Move on. No need to bench him or any further disciplinary action from it. Things happen in a basketball, sometimes guys lose their cool/focus. It was unfortunate, but luckily he didn't really make contact. The ejection was punishment enough. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Bush league move by Al.  He has more important things to worry about...like his playing time.

And his shooting, and defense, and leadership...

As I said earlier, if I was CAM, Al would have sat another game for that move...

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think it  is more like the manner in which we played more so than anything else. 

Sure it is. I get it. Eventually though fans have to understand each team/year/unit is different. Last year we sucked for 12 games in a row at one point. So far during this two game skid we played a horrible 7 minutes vs Arkansas and just a bad game vs Maryland during the final 30 or so. Eventually emotional intelligence has to hit the fans (I'm guilty of the other side) and realize each team/year is different. Why not give this group a chance to show how it's different? 

I get the angst about program I truly do but that should be a thread by itself. This thread was about Durham and now it's turned into state of the program talk....and I've added to it. Just my two cents. Maybe someone should start a overall program evaluation thread and those who want to debate that there will....

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sure it is. I get it. Eventually though fans have to understand each team/year/unit is different. Last year we sucked for 12 games in a row at one point. So far during this two game skid we played a horrible 7 minutes vs Arkansas and just a bad game vs Maryland during the final 30 or so. Eventually emotional intelligence has to hit the fans (I'm guilty of the other side) and realize each team/year is different. Why not give this group a chance to show how it's different? 

I get the angst about program I truly do but that should be a thread by itself. This thread was about Durham and now it's turned into state of the program talk....and I've added to it. Just my two cents. Maybe someone should start a overall program evaluation thread and those who want to debate that there will....

Well said.

Archived