What Changes Would You Make...

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Rob, Green, Al, Brunk, and TJD.  I would try that for a little bit.  Bring Smith in to spell Brunk or TJD and have Franklin and Anderson in the rotation for the guard/wing spot.

Everybody else would get limited spot time.

In a perfect world where everyone is healthy I'd prefer Rob, Hunter, Smith, TJD, Brunk.....and when our guys need a rest we give Devonte what he wants. Enter the game and carry the load offensively while others are on pine. Of course my lineup will never happen because for whatever reason we just can't get and stay healthy. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So I guess my question at this point for you and BGleas, and I respect both of your opinions greatly, would be "are we giving up on this year?"

And I say that simply because if we go with the lineup(s) you're proposing, we're going to have a lot of growing pains. 

I don't think having both Al and Devonte out there together is a good thing. Similar players in style (although Devonte kills him in results, even with his "bad" side and Green is a much better defender) who turn the ball over and really don't make good decisions going to the rim. I do agree we'd probably be a bit better from the outside, but the combination of turnovers and poor decisions offset that in mind. And neither Damezi nor Jerome are confident enough offensively or competent enough defensively to replace Justin at this point.

If we have TJD or Brunk in the post alone, they'll ALWAYS be double teamed. And kick it out to inconsistent shooters. 

We've built leads when TJD and Brunk are getting touches down low (and they have excellent chemistry together from what I've seen) and we share the basketball, especially passing on the interior. It seems we make a nice pass from the post to someone (Smith more than a few times) slashing down the lane for easy buckets, and then forget about it.

Again, it just seems to me that a lineup of TJD, Brunk, Smith, Rob, and Devonte is going to be our best shot at winning this year. If we're more focused on the future, sure, get Franklin, Hunter, and Anderson in there for major minutes.

Just one man's opinion...

I don't see how putting people the the right positions and getting quicker and more skilled lineups out there would be giving up on the season? Giving up on the season would be not making any changes. 

This team is going nowhere if the guard and wing play does not improve. IMO, it can't improve with this big lineup getting major minutes. It completely clogs the lane, prevents us from getting our bigs the ball effectively and forces our guards and wings into taking bad, late in the shot clock shots. Right now we put zero pressure on the defense. Opponents keep TJD, Smith and Brunk's defenders in the paint at almost all times, which completely neuters the effectiveness of all of our perimeter actions and prevents us from being able to get the ball inside.  

I think TJD getting double-teamed in small lineup would be fantastic. That's what you want. Let's open things up for him in the paint, force teams to defend him and then when double-teamed he kicks it out to guards and wings that are ready to attack the basket relentlessly. When it kicks it out, the defense will be scrambling, and then when our guards/wings attack it forces the defense to scramble even more, and then finally when they rotate the ball off the drive the guards and wings opposite will finally get open, in rhythm 3's and you'll see our percentages go up hopefully. 

Everyone complains about a guy like Durham throwing up wild shots when he penetrates. Well, maybe with a smaller, quicker lineup where the defense can't just stand 3 guys in the paint, those driving layups become more open and easier. Maybe hitting a few of those gets his confidence going. Same with Phinisee. 

But, right now the defense doesn't have to move at all. Our guards and wings can't do anything because the lane is so clogged. They rarely can even get the defense scrambling because there is no threat of a kick out because 3/5's of our lineup can't shoot or dribble. IU will not make the tournament with our guards playing the way they are, and continuing to do the same thing will not help them gain confidence.  

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't see how putting people the the right positions and getting quicker and more skilled lineups out there would be giving up on the season? Giving up on the season would be not making any changes. 

This team is going nowhere if the guard and wing play does not improve. IMO, it can't improve with this big lineup getting major minutes. It completely clogs the lane, prevents us from getting our bigs the ball effectively and forces our guards and wings into taking bad, late in the shot clock shots. Right now we put zero pressure on the defense. Opponents keep TJD, Smith and Brunk's defenders in the paint at almost all times, which completely neuters the effectiveness of all of our perimeter actions and prevents us from being able to get the ball inside.  

I think TJD getting double-teamed in small lineup would be fantastic. That's what you want. Let's open things up for him in the paint, force teams to defend him and then when double-teamed he kicks it out to guards and wings that are ready to attack the basket relentlessly. When it kicks it out, the defense will be scrambling, and then when our guards/wings attack it forces the defense to scramble even more, and then finally when they rotate the ball off the drive the guards and wings opposite will finally get open, in rhythm 3's and you'll see our percentages go up hopefully. 

Everyone complains about a guy like Durham throwing up wild shots when he penetrates. Well, maybe with a smaller, quicker lineup where the defense can't just stand 3 guys in the paint, those driving layups become more open and easier. Maybe hitting a few of those gets his confidence going. Same with Phinisee. 

But, right now the defense doesn't have to move at all. Our guards and wings can't do anything because the lane is so clogged. They rarely can even get the defense scrambling because there is no threat of a kick out because 3/5's of our lineup can't shoot or dribble. IU will not make the tournament with our guards playing the way they are, and continuing to do the same thing will not help them gain confidence.  

I can see this but here's my concern. TJD being double teamed...are saying you think we would have higher chances of success with our guards getting him the ball so he can quickly dish to others attacking the rim? Our entry passes have been suspect so my concern is if we go small the entire reason to go small is predicated on the ability of TJD to catch and dish quickly. To me if he's able to do that successfully why not flash him to the top of the key while still having Brunk down low? Or if he's double teamed up there dish to wings slashing to the rim from either side? Just curious your thoughts on why that would or wouldn't work. As always thanks for input!

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So I guess my question at this point for you and BGleas, and I respect both of your opinions greatly, would be "are we giving up on this year?"

And I say that simply because if we go with the lineup(s) you're proposing, we're going to have a lot of growing pains. 

I don't think having both Al and Devonte out there together is a good thing. Similar players in style (although Devonte kills him in results, even with his "bad" side and Green is a much better defender) who turn the ball over and really don't make good decisions going to the rim. I do agree we'd probably be a bit better from the outside, but the combination of turnovers and poor decisions offset that in mind. And neither Damezi nor Jerome are confident enough offensively or competent enough defensively to replace Justin at this point.

If we have TJD or Brunk in the post alone, they'll ALWAYS be double teamed. And kick it out to inconsistent shooters. 

We've built leads when TJD and Brunk are getting touches down low (and they have excellent chemistry together from what I've seen) and we share the basketball, especially passing on the interior. It seems we make a nice pass from the post to someone (Smith more than a few times) slashing down the lane for easy buckets, and then forget about it.

Again, it just seems to me that a lineup of TJD, Brunk, Smith, Rob, and Devonte is going to be our best shot at winning this year. If we're more focused on the future, sure, get Franklin, Hunter, and Anderson in there for major minutes.

Just one man's opinion...

Was going to give my thoughts then saw Gleas had already covered most of them, lol. 

Just a few add ons --

Al and Devonte together when D is on ball has not worked, that's largely a product though of Rob's limited time, D has had to play on ball more and/or we've had a frosh (with high upside) running point. Al and D can both shoot, we NEEEEEEEEED that, but we also need Rob running point, I understand your concerns over decision-making but Rob running point (and I'm assuming he finally gets back to more regular minutes and his starting role) largely covers that. Green's D is also key, and when you match it with Smith you have a much more mobile unit on both sides of the ball, which, these past games have shown, is badly needed.

Gleas covered the double-team issue. Really you could say that about any team not running two traditional bigs, teams for the most part aren't doing that now, and when you try to run two traditional bigs without an  actual wing you end up where we are, a clogged lane, defenses sacking, and limited movement defensively. The flip side to your question is why would you think we can get better this season running the same ineffective group? It's just not working. The real thing we need, imo, is a change on the wing to open up lanes, to pull defenders out, to spread the floor, and to allow movement / mobility on the defensive end -- but Smith, imo, fits in here best with whatever other change is made. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Was going to give my thoughts then saw Gleas had already covered most of them, lol. 

Just a few add ons --

Al and Devonte together when D is on ball has not worked, that's largely a product though of Rob's limited time, D has had to play on ball more and/or we've had a frosh (with high upside) running point. Al and D can both shoot, we NEEEEEEEEED that, but we also need Rob running point, I understand your concerns over decision-making but Rob running point (and I'm assuming he finally gets back to more regular minutes and his starting role) largely covers that. Green's D is also key, and when you match it with Smith you have a much more mobile unit on both sides of the ball, which, these past games have shown, is badly needed.

Gleas covered the double-team issue. Really you could say that about any team not running two traditional bigs, teams for the most part aren't doing that now, and when you try to run two traditional bigs without an  actual wing you end up where we are, a clogged lane, defenses sacking, and limited movement defensively. The flip side to your question is why would you think we can get better this season running the same ineffective group? It's just not working. The real thing we need, imo, is a change on the wing to open up lanes, to pull defenders out, to spread the floor, and to allow movement / mobility on the defensive end -- but Smith, imo, fits in here best with whatever other change is made. 

Small ball lineup could also be Phinisee, Green, Durham/Franklin/Anderson/Hunter, TJD, Brunk if you want another traditional post player to take heat off TJD.  We haven’t really seen a lineup like that on the floor either.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Small ball lineup could also be Phinisee, Green, Durham/Franklin/Anderson/Hunter, TJD, Brunk if you want another traditional post player to take heat off TJD.  We haven’t really seen a lineup like that on the floor either.

I just believe in my heart of hearts that Justin is the key to this team.  I view him as playing out of position thus far.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Just a few add ons --

I think the big "change" that needs to happen is to get Rob 100% healthy and log 30 mins a game at point with Franklin with spot mins as back up.

Push Green and Al to the shooting guard and remove any ball handling duties from both of them.  

But if we are really going to turn the corner, Anderson, Hunter, or Thompson has to give us something at the 3 IMO. Anything. It could be as small as 4 or 5 points a game. That would help a ton and give you an option instead of Smith at the 3. It also enables Smith to slide to the 4. All 3 play solid defense and don't turn the ball over.....just hit some f&%#king open shots... lol

50 minutes ago, rico said:

I just believe in my heart of hearts that Justin is the key to this team.  I view him as playing out of position thus far.

Yeah, I think the best version of this team has TJD at the 5 and Smith at the 4.  But our offense just seems to be so much more centered around letting Brunk and TJD operate in the post... Haven’t really been able to get Smith going in that slashing/running baseline role.  Since it seems that Archie is pretty committed to running an offense with two traditional bigs (and he mentioned in his radio show last night that DeRon is going to start getting more time going forward 🙄), I’m not optimistic that he’s going to move away from that now.  I think that’s pretty indicative of the lack of flexibility that has hindered him at IU thus far, but it is what it is.  But it’s also worth mentioning that Brunk has shown more energy on the court than Smith lately, so that’s a factor as well — and that’s on Smith.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't see how putting people the the right positions and getting quicker and more skilled lineups out there would be giving up on the season?

Quicker, I'll give you, but more skilled? I guess it boils down to what Durham brings to the table as opposed to Brunk. So far, especially in the last 4 games, Joey has been a rebounding machine, and I think that's one of the area we need to beat other teams...win the battle of the boards. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think TJD getting double-teamed in small lineup would be fantastic. That's what you want. Let's open things up for him in the paint, force teams to defend him and then when double-teamed he kicks it out to guards and wings that are ready to attack the basket relentlessly.

I guess we're banking on the fact that our guards can do this successfully. I haven't seen it to date. Maybe it would allow the guards more room on the dribble-drive, but you have to make the shot, as Archie said in his post game. I'm not sure we're going to beat many teams with our outside shooting either.

I think both you and Hoosierhoopster are counting a bit too much on Damezi and Jerome. I see glimmers of hope for each, but just when I think they're seeing the big pic, they regress. Jerome wasn't good at all on either end of the floor last game. Jerome has a higher ceiling, but as of now, he'd be behind Damezi on the depth chart.

Anyway, this is the reason I come to these boards...good healthy debate. Thanks...

1 hour ago, rico said:

The problem with Smith is he has no shot from anywhere, has bad hands and doesn't hustle. He has his moments but this is year 3 for him and he has not improved. He has tons of potential but does not maximize it on a consistent basis. He is making the same mistakes in year 3 that he made in year 1. 

5 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

The problem with Smith is he has no shot from anywhere, has bad hands and doesn't hustle. He has his moments but this is year 3 for him and he has not improved. He has tons of potential but does not maximize it on a consistent basis. He is making the same mistakes in year 3 that he made in year 1. 

I think with Smith it is all about confidence because he has proven to be able to shoot.  When confident I have seen him hitting that 15 foot shot from the wing.  Remember last year against MSU so he is capable of shooting.  His freshman year at Minnesota he hit a few 15 foot shots but it just appears he is not confident with it.

12 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I'll agree with all but the hustle part. He still has small lapses now and again, but he's much, much better hustling than he was his first 2 years...especially on defense.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I think with Smith it is all about confidence because he has proven to be able to shoot.  When confident I have seen him hitting that 15 foot shot from the wing.  Remember last year against MSU so he is capable of shooting.  His freshman year at Minnesota he hit a few 15 foot shots but it just appears he is not confident with it.

He has had two or three good shooting games in his career. If the young man doesn't have any confidence in himself at this point in his career I seriously doubt he will ever get it. He is not a good free throw shooter either and if you watch his shot he has a hitch in it at the top before he releases the ball. Someone needs to spend some quality time with him to smooth out his form. 

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Quicker, I'll give you, but more skilled? I guess it boils down to what Durham brings to the table as opposed to Brunk. So far, especially in the last 4 games, Joey has been a rebounding machine, and I think that's one of the area we need to beat other teams...win the battle of the boards. 

I guess we're banking on the fact that our guards can do this successfully. I haven't seen it to date. Maybe it would allow the guards more room on the dribble-drive, but you have to make the shot, as Archie said in his post game. I'm not sure we're going to beat many teams with our outside shooting either.

I think both you and Hoosierhoopster are counting a bit too much on Damezi and Jerome. I see glimmers of hope for each, but just when I think they're seeing the big pic, they regress. Jerome wasn't good at all on either end of the floor last game. Jerome has a higher ceiling, but as of now, he'd be behind Damezi on the depth chart.

Anyway, this is the reason I come to these boards...good healthy debate. Thanks...

Yes, more skilled. Phinisee, Durham, Green and Franklin are more skilled on the perimeter than Justin Smith. No, we haven't seen our guards to it much to date, but a big factor in that has bene injuries and the fact that they really can't do it with the '3 bigs lineup' clogging everything up. There are no dribble drive lanes, there is no getting the defense scrambling to create open shots and lanes. We face 3 defenders basically camping out in the paint. 

I'm not as high an Anderson and Hunter as HH is. I think it would help the team immensely if one, or both, of them could gain confidence and consistency, but at this point that seems like a project for next season. 

My core rotation would be Phinisee, Green, Durham, Smith and TJD. Off the bench Brunk would get all of the inside minutes he can handle (were not lowering his minutes, we're changing when they take place), and Franklin would be the main sub for Phinisee, Green and Durham, and then you'd have Anderson, Hunter and Thompson for spot minutes to give guys a breather or foul trouble. 

My question to you would be, you seem really resistant to this, so what would you change? Are you suggesting to just forge ahead and hope the current setup works itself out? Hope our guards and wings begin hitting contested, end of clock shots?

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Have zero problem with changing things up but just my 2 cents here. If we go small and have TJD as our only big....he'll be doubled team all day long and opposing teams will be daring the other 4 to shoot from anywhere on the court. How would that help a struggling offense? 

Driving lanes.  Hitting close range builds confidence.  Allows Smith to flash to a more unclogged lane.  More skill on perimeter to move the ball quicker and to keep the defense a little more honest 

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My core rotation would be Phinisee, Green, Durham, Smith and TJD. Off the bench Brunk would get all of the inside minutes he can handle (were not lowering his minutes, we're changing when they take place), and Franklin would be the main sub for Phinisee, Green and Durham, and then you'd have Anderson, Hunter and Thompson for spot minutes to give guys a breather or foul trouble.

I agree, this is the lineup/rotation I would like to see.

All three of Smith, TJD, and Brunk getting significant minutes at the 4/5, but with only two in at a time (and TJD getting the most amount of time).

All four of Phinisee, Green, Durham, and Franklin dominating the minutes on the perimeter (and Franklin getting the least).

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes, more skilled. Phinisee, Durham, Green and Franklin are more skilled on the perimeter than Justin Smith. No, we haven't seen our guards to it much to date, but a big factor in that has bene injuries and the fact that they really can't do it with the '3 bigs lineup' clogging everything up. There are no dribble drive lanes, there is no getting the defense scrambling to create open shots and lanes. We face 3 defenders basically camping out in the paint. 

I'm not as high an Anderson and Hunter as HH is. I think it would help the team immensely if one, or both, of them could gain confidence and consistency, but at this point that seems like a project for next season. 

My question to you would be, you seem really resistant to this, so what would you change? Are you suggesting to just forge ahead and hope the current setup works itself out? Hope our guards and wings begin hitting contested, end of clock shots?

I'm a grinder in many ways. I'd like to see us continue to get the ball inside. I know it gets tight in there, but we can and have done it. The first half against Arkansas we did it, and opened up a nice lead.

I understand Arkansas made adjustments, but we didn't even try to get TJD and Joey touches in the 2nd half.

So, yeah, I'm in the "forge ahead with the current setup and hope it works out" camp. It has worked out for periods of time. We built leads with the big lineup, and pissed leads away with it as well. 

That's where I think the on the floor leadership fails. Our best player is a freshman. Upper class leaders need to understand that he needs to get touches when other teams make a charge. What we don't need is ill-advised 3 point shots, headlong drives to the basket, or risky passes into the post. I've said it too many times, make the basketball play, not the flashy play. Also, interior passing is something we've had good luck with but we don't do it enough. 

I know change somtime results in better play, but I'm not sure it applies here. If Brunk is going to be TJDs replacement he's not gonna get very many minutes, and that's not even taking De'Ron into consideration. 

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm a grinder in many ways. I'd like to see us continue to get the ball inside. I know it gets tight in there, but we can and have done it. The first half against Arkansas we did it, and opened up a nice lead.

I understand Arkansas made adjustments, but we didn't even try to get TJD and Joey touches in the 2nd half.

So, yeah, I'm in the "forge ahead with the current setup and hope it works out" camp. It has worked out for periods of time. We built leads with the big lineup, and pissed leads away with it as well. 

That's where I think the on the floor leadership fails. Our best player is a freshman. Upper class leaders need to understand that he needs to get touches when other teams make a charge. What we don't need is ill-advised 3 point shots, headlong drives to the basket, or risky passes into the post. I've said it too many times, make the basketball play, not the flashy play. Also, interior passing is something we've had good luck with but we don't do it enough. 

I know change somtime results in better play, but I'm not sure it applies here. If Brunk is going to be TJDs replacement he's not gonna get very many minutes, and that's not even taking De'Ron into consideration. 

In the post you quoted, I specifically said that I wouldn't lower Brunk's minutes and that he wouldn't just back up TJD. He'd also backup Smith, so yes TJD and Brunk would still play minutes together. It's tightening the rotation while avoiding all three of TJD, Smith and Brunk playing together. 

The reason we've given up leads isn't because we're dumb (not saying we're a smart team necessarily) and the reason we stop going to the post in the second half isn't because we can't throw it to the post or we forget, it's because teams adjust. Arkansas completely adjusted their defense in the second half to just sit in the paint. Wisconsin did it the entire game, and Maryland made that adjustment as well. We can't get it to the post, not because we're stubborn, but because we have 3 post players in the area surrounded by defenders. Guys are surrounded and there is no space. So, not only can we not get it to the post, all driving lanes are also closed. 

So, what we get is our guards/wings do dribble handoffs for 30 seconds until one of them chucks up a shot. The ill-advised shots are being caused by the current rotation. 

In no way did I say we should have guards start chucking ill-advised 3's. We need to get our guards and wings better 3's. Rhythm 3's. We need to create driving lanes for them. We need to put pressure on defenses and create movement. We need to get defenses in a position where they're scrambling, which will create driving lanes, dump-off opportinities for our bigs, and open, rhythm 3's for our perimeter players.

If IU doesn't find a way to get the perimeter players playing better and more confidently, then the season will go south in a hurry. IU, or really any team, cannot win the with guard/wing play being this bad. Continuing to clog the lane with TJD, Brunk and Smith does not help them at all. It really puts the guards/wings and Smith in a bad position. 

I don't believe the answer is to just throw our hands up in the air and continue to slam our heads into a brick wall. 

The add on here is Smith could be doing some real damage, imo, in a Troy-like baseline role. Troy was really good at running the baseline and in back-doors. Smith could thrive there, imo, but not in the current 3-big lineup with him on the perimeter. The adjustments teams have made against us in the second halves is pretty obvious at this point. Writers have written about how teams will defend IU's 3-big lineup, and yet we're still doing it, and the teams are doing exactly what the various writers / analysts said they would. We do need to make our own adjustments, staying the course is not going to net us better results.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The add on here is Smith could be doing some real damage, imo, in a Troy-like baseline role. Troy was really good at running the baseline and in back-doors. Smith could thrive there, imo, but not in the current 3-big lineup with him on the perimeter. The adjustments teams have made against us in the second halves is pretty obvious at this point. Writers have written about how teams will defend IU's 3-big lineup, and yet we're still doing it, and the teams are doing exactly what the various writers / analysts said they would. We do need to make our own adjustments, staying the course is not going to net us better results.

And, it's only going to get worse in the Big Ten. Coaches the better know and understand IU's system and personnel are not going to wait until the second half. 

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Said this in another thread.  Tighten the rotation up significantly.

Rob, TJD, Smith, and Good Devonte play 30+ minutes every game

Al, Brunk, Race, and Deron split the remaining minutes.

Damezi, Jerome, and Armaan simply are not ready to contribute at the level required for conference play.  Play one of them only if injuries and/or foul trouble require.  And, whichever one plays in those instances, ride him out to see if he can get some consistency.  

I get your point and it's fair.  I wouldn't object to trying it.  In that event, I guess I don't agree on the selection of players.  I think Armaan Franklin is more capable than whatever version of Al Durham is scuffling out there right now.  We wouldn't have won that ND game without Franklin.  He's a developing player who can improve with the on-court experience.

Regarding Durham, he looks intimidated by size and athleticism of the players from bigger schools.  He's a very confident and good player when he's going against our mid-major opponents.  But if you ratchet up the athleticism level of the opponent as we have seen lately, he plays like he is in awe.  Durham should be that guy who may not wow you, but we can always turn to him when Green goes erratic.  He should be a stable player out there and it's just not happening.  I like Al but he needs to come out of this.  Armaan does not have any of these weaknesses.  He's got length and athleticism and isn't afraid of anybody. 

I agree with you on Hunter.  He needs to stop standing around on offense.  He could give us a lift, but that energy level needs to ratchet up.

Even still, when our starters start having another one of their episodes, I would sit them.  I don't know that Damezi normally needs a ton of minutes but I am impressed with his work ethic out on the floor.  He's out there hustling and can get you some boards, loose balls etc.  One of his hustle plays was instrumental in winning a game.  He just is not comfortable shooting right now.  However, when some other guys are not bringing it, I have no problem playing Damezi extended minutes to set a tone regarding effort.  Other than some of our bigs like Brunk and Race, he may be our scrappiest player at least out on the perimeter.  

If you have a game where Devonte is acting insane, Durham is overwhelmed, Justin isn't closing out, I have no problem looking at a rotation of Damezi, Rob, TJD, Brunk, Armaan, Race, and Davis as the primary guys.  Those are the seven guys where I have no concern about effort.  If you lose, at least you have a squad that applies themselves.  You're a guard short, so the starters play a ton of minutes and you look at someone down the bench to fill in.  Green and Durham have not been playing winning basketball anyway.

We play a gimme tomorrow, so I expect things to look fine.  That's not the issue.  The issue is when we need consistent toughness to win.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Smith doesn't have the hands or the motor that Troy had. He very rarely makes hard cuts to the basket. plays with his head down and when he drives he doesn't have the body control to do things when he is up in the air. He has very good leaping ability but once he is in the air he can't do much with it. He is a mix between Dale Davis and Uve Blaab.

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

In a perfect world where everyone is healthy I'd prefer Rob, Hunter, Smith, TJD, Brunk.....and when our guys need a rest we give Devonte what he wants. Enter the game and carry the load offensively while others are on pine. Of course my lineup will never happen because for whatever reason we just can't get and stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I get your point and it's fair.  I wouldn't object to trying it.  In that event, I guess I don't agree on the selection of players.  I think Armaan Franklin is more capable than whatever version of Al Durham is scuffling out there right now.  We wouldn't have won that ND game without Franklin.  He's a developing player who can improve with the on-court experience.

Regarding Durham, he looks intimidated by size and athleticism of the players from bigger schools.  He's a very confident and good player when he's going against our mid-major opponents.  But if you ratchet up the athleticism level of the opponent as we have seen lately, he plays like he is in awe.  Durham should be that guy who may not wow you, but we can always turn to him when Green goes erratic.  He should be a stable player out there and it's just not happening.  I like Al but he needs to come out of this.  Armaan does not have any of these weaknesses.  He's got length and athleticism and isn't afraid of anybody. 

I agree with you on Hunter.  He needs to stop standing around on offense.  He could give us a lift, but that energy level needs to ratchet up.

Even still, when our starters start having another one of their episodes, I would sit them.  I don't know that Damezi normally needs a ton of minutes but I am impressed with his work ethic out on the floor.  He's out there hustling and can get you some boards, loose balls etc.  One of his hustle plays was instrumental in winning a game.  He just is not comfortable shooting right now.  However, when some other guys are not bringing it, I have no problem playing Damezi extended minutes to set a tone regarding effort.  Other than some of our bigs like Brunk and Race, he may be our scrappiest player at least out on the perimeter.  

If you have a game where Devonte is acting insane, Durham is overwhelmed, Justin isn't closing out, I have no problem looking at a rotation of Damezi, Rob, TJD, Brunk, Armaan, Race, and Davis as the primary guys.  Those are the seven guys where I have no concern about effort.  If you lose, at least you have a squad that applies themselves.  You're a guard short, so the starters play a ton of minutes and you look at someone down the bench to fill in.  Green and Durham have not been playing winning basketball anyway.

We play a gimme tomorrow, so I expect things to look fine.  That's not the issue.  The issue is when we need consistent toughness to win.  

I'm at the point I don't think there are any gimme's for this team but I hope you're right.  I do love reading all the different viewpoints and suggestions on this site.  Such a pleasant change after reading posts on the rivals site.  Wow, what a cesspool that place is. As far as I'm concerned, I'd have to agree with BGleas on the lineup changes. It's just frustrating to see the same crap every game and the conference season is going to be a long grind.

Archived