Whop Philyor Returning

KDB

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

4th-6th round. Since this draft is pretty deep for wide receivers it makes sense for him to come back and not only lead our team but also put up some numbers that more people will take notice of. 

I’m trying to think of an NFL receiver that he’d compare to. Any ideas?

44 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I did not realize he was considering, or being considered for, the draft but great news to have him for another year. Whop and Hendershot seemed to be the two best at creating separation.

I really like the depth we have at WR.  Whop is the clear #1, and I would say Fryfogle is probably the clear #2 going into next year.  We also have Marshall who got some decent time as a RS FR.  David Ellis too as a true freshman.  I just looked at the stats, and I never would have guessed Whop, Hendershot, and Fryfogle were our top 3 yardage guys this year.  I thought Westbrook or Hale would have been in the top 3.  Good to have that kind of production return.

We'll have some good depth behind those top 4 WR next year too.  It will be interesting to see how much time Rashawn Williams gets coming in.  There could be a really good battle for that #3 WR spot.

Another guy to watch that I've been all over for over a year now is Da'Shaun Brown.  I think he has a chance to step up as that next WR target.  He has incredible quickness and agility.  He was a late qualifier this year, and barely made it to campus, so he got a late start.  He was also a QB in high school who is converting to WR, but I've read multiple times that the staff loves him.  I know he was scout team player of the week at least once.  Before the Purdue game, Allen talked that he has a chance to be really special.  His potential is through the roof, so I could see him being a huge surprise next year.

58 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Marshall looks like he has a great hands, not that I’m trying to jinx him. He just snares the ball like he’s got a magnet for it.  Obviously he’s got good size too. 

If I had a comp in terms of style of play for Whop, I’d say Tavon Austin.  

Is he as fast as Austin?

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I really like the depth we have at WR.  Whop is the clear #1, and I would say Fryfogle is probably the clear #2 going into next year.  We also have Marshall who got some decent time as a RS FR.  David Ellis too as a true freshman.  I just looked at the stats, and I never would have guessed Whop, Hendershot, and Fryfogle were our top 3 yardage guys this year.  I thought Westbrook or Hale would have been in the top 3.  Good to have that kind of production return.

We'll have some good depth behind those top 4 WR next year too.  It will be interesting to see how much time Rashawn Williams gets coming in.  There could be a really good battle for that #3 WR spot.

Another guy to watch that I've been all over for over a year now is Da'Shaun Brown.  I think he has a chance to step up as that next WR target.  He has incredible quickness and agility.  He was a late qualifier this year, and barely made it to campus, so he got a late start.  He was also a QB in high school who is converting to WR, but I've read multiple times that the staff loves him.  I know he was scout team player of the week at least once.  Before the Purdue game, Allen talked that he has a chance to be really special.  His potential is through the roof, so I could see him being a huge surprise next year.

You guys should have a solid WR room no doubt. I just got all giddy thinking about the possibility of having Rondale and Bell together all season. Fingers crossed!

I think Jordan Jakes could be another WR that surprises next year. We brought him in with the recruiting class last year I think, but he is about 6' 5" and quick. Redshirted this year. We also lost Jacolby Hewitt to an ACL tear during spring ball, and the staff was really high on him. 

2 hours ago, DireBump said:

I think Jordan Jakes could be another WR that surprises next year. We brought him in with the recruiting class last year I think, but he is about 6' 5" and quick. Redshirted this year. We also lost Jacolby Hewitt to an ACL tear during spring ball, and the staff was really high on him. 

I will admit that I forgot all about Hewitt.  Like you said, I too remember the staff talking about him looking good before he got hurt.

If Cronk comes back, that would have to be the deepest and most talented offense we have had in a really long time.  There wouldn't be a let down at any position.  Even the #2 at each position would be a really solid starter.

20 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is he as fast as Austin?

I thought of Austin because both Austin and Whop have the combo of speed and quickness.  They are twitchy and explosive in any direction.

Austin was a top ten draft pick so that is a tough comparison (although he has not met expectations in the league). I was more referring to the fact that they can get in the slot and get open laterally with short area quickness or with long speed.

The combo of David Bell and Moore is sick.  I loved Bell in high school.  I actually saw him on TV defend Romeo in the IHSAA game (in Columbus, I think).  Moore's game speaks for itself.

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought of Austin because both Austin and Whop have the combo of speed and quickness.  They are twitchy and explosive in any direction.

Austin was a top ten draft pick so that is a tough comparison (although he has not met expectations in the league). I was more referring to the fact that they can get in the slot and get open laterally with short area quickness or with long speed.

The combo of David Bell and Moore is sick.  I loved Bell in high school.  I actually saw him on TV defend Romeo in the IHSAA game (in Columbus, I think).  Moore's game speaks for itself.

Bell is a crazy athlete haha. And he’s such a humble kid which is awesome to see. 

One guy to keep an eye on this year is freshman Maliq Carr. He’s 6’5 and can run. Will likely walk onto the basketball team in the next year or so. Would love to see him line up with Bell and Moore. 

19 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I will admit that I forgot all about Hewitt.  Like you said, I too remember the staff talking about him looking good before he got hurt.

If Cronk comes back, that would have to be the deepest and most talented offense we have had in a really long time.  There wouldn't be a let down at any position.  Even the #2 at each position would be a really solid starter.

Cronk ain't coming back. 

Archived