On the eve of South Florida, we have....

milehiiu

34 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Looking forward to tonight's game. I think we will look much better. I'd like to see us feed Davis early and often against their bigs. He needs some success to get his confidence back up.

I am very concerned about De'Ron getting into early foul trouble.  South Florida has one center at 6-11. And another at 7-0.  While they most likely won't be seeing time on the floor together, their size alone could be a challenge..... you are correct.  Should De'Ron have to sit early due to foul trouble, then the center advantage in terms of height shifts to South Florida.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am very concerned about De'Ron getting into early foul trouble.  South Florida has one center at 6-11. And another at 7-0.  While they most likely won't be seeing time on the floor together, their size alone could be a challenge..... you are correct.  Should De'Ron have to sit early due to foul trouble, then the center advantage in terms of height shifts to South Florida.

Pomeroy has Malik Martin, their 6-11 guy, playing center 48% of available minutes and power forward 18%, so he and the 7-2 guy apparently have played together 18% of minutes, just FYI.  On the positive side, the 7-2 guy has an Offensive Rating of only 63.1 and an eFG% of only 33, having taken only nine shots so far this year.

^^ Some things I'm watching for 

- Ball control, who plays mostly on ball, how we handle pressure and how well we do limiting TO's

- Post feeds and Davis, what does he do to limit fouls -- fouling by bigs is a combination of 1) fitness and 2) positioning/experience. His fitness is getting there (it's not there yet), his positioning and understanding needs work. I expect both to improve, and not to take that long. He's getting much more play and the focus of other bigs. That takes some time. But we need him to accelerate it.

- Shooting, how do our guards look for their shots, confidence comes with understanding and comfort in the new system. That also takes time, and is why the younger guards sometimes look better -- they're not de-tuning from a system they were comfortable in. But this has to come along faster as well. Rob, and Newkirk (who should shoot less) need to get into the new flow. I think they will and soon, and the idea that benching either / using pine will help either I think is overlooking that both are still getting acclimated. 

- Three-point line D, closing out, improvement. Please.

36 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Pomeroy has Malik Martin, their 6-11 guy, playing center 48% of available minutes and power forward 18%, so he and the 7-2 guy apparently have played together 18% of minutes, just FYI.  On the positive side, the 7-2 guy has an Offensive Rating of only 63.1 and an eFG% of only 33, having taken only nine shots so far this year.

Thanks for the intel.  I don't subscribe to KenPom, though I do respect the work he does.  Much appreciated. 

Archived