An early look ahead. First 2020 game is a B1G game.

milehiiu

I see us anywhere between 7 and 9 wins.  @OSU, @Wisconsin, @Michigan, and PSU at home will be real tough to win. We could maybe steal one of those.  We usually seem to be terrible against Wisconsin, but with it being the first game, and them losing a decent amount, we'll have a shot in that one.  We could have a chance at Michigan, and against PSU at home too.  Don't see us with much of a shot of winning at OSU.

Then I see the 3 non conference games, and Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois as 3 should wins.  Our season will probably depend on the MSU and PU games at home.  If we win those, we'll have another great year.

No matter what happens next year, I see us as a much better team (assuming we hire a solid OC).  The schedule next year will be a lot more difficult to get to 8 wins though.

I’ll go with 7-5.

Also, starting the season with a road game at Wiscy?  You’d think the Big Ten would feel that putting us in the east division would be vindictive enough but they have to go “above and beyond” by letting us start the season at Wiscy? Who knows, maybe we will shock the conference and beat them.

EDIT: on the flip-side, in regards to the schedule, I really like having both MSU and PSU at home. Beating one of them would be a great next step. 

36 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I’ll go with 7-5.

Also, starting the season with a road game at Wiscy?  You’d think the Big Ten would feel that putting us in the east division would be vindictive enough but they have to go “above and beyond” by letting us start the season at Wiscy? Who knows, maybe we will shock the conference and beat them.

EDIT: on the flip-side, in regards to the schedule, I really like having both MSU and PSU at home. Beating one of them would be a great next step. 

I like having Wisconsin first.  I think our best shot at them is early on before they have had time to figure things out.  They're without their best 2 offensive options, so it might take a few games to get in sync.  Also, with a new OC, maybe we'll have a new wrinkle or two they won't know about.  Barring any unforeseen injuries, we should also have Penix ready to go in a big game for only the 2nd time in his career (MSU this year being the other one).

Another thing I like about having them first is the next 6 games on our schedule.  If we can beat Wisconsin, we should start the season 6-0 with game 7 being at home against MSU.  The previous 4 weekends, MSU has Miami (Fl), Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State, so they might be in full blown fire Dantonio stage by then.  There is a good chance that after 7 games we are at least 6-1. 

But yes, at Wisconsin, OSU, and Michigan in the same year is brutal.  Not many teams are going to come out of that with any wins.

I think getting to another Bowl game would be great for the team, university and for recruiting purposes.  If we can beat one of Penn State or Mich St at home that would almost be as big as getting to a back to back bowl game IMO since we have come so close in the past but can never seem to seal the deal against top 25 or top 30 teams at Memorial Stadium. 

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

I think getting to another Bowl game would be great for the team, university and for recruiting purposes.  If we can beat one of Penn State or Mich St at home that would almost be as big as getting to a back to back bowl game IMO since we have come so close in the past but can never seem to seal the deal against top 25 or top 30 teams at Memorial Stadium. 

Knock on wood, but I see winning 6 games as a minimum.  I think we have at least 5 games we'll be big favorites in.  All 3 non conference games, Rutgers, and Maryland.  Maryland is losing their best 2 RB, and their coach is horrible.  After that, I think we'll be a big favorite against Illinois.  If they replayed their schedule this year, they are probably a 3 or 4 win team.  They probably only beat Wisconsin 1 out of 100 times, and they needed a miracle comeback to beat MSU.  I could easily see them falling back down to the basement of the West.

If I were to set an over/under for wins next year, I would probably go with 7.  Anything over that is great, anything less is disappointing, and getting 7 wins would be about average.  Like you said, I would love to get one of the top 4 in the East, or Wisconsin next year.  We really need a statement win.

21 minutes ago, MPM said:

I usually don't like Friday night games, but after we win, a lot of people will be talking about it during the games the next day.  I'm sure we'll get a mention on Gameday.

Love this. One of the last college football games this past season and one of the first next season where he have little competition for viewers. I'll be up there for this one. Have a few Wisconsin fans as friends and to me having it on Friday night is even better. Doesn't eat the entire Labor Day weekend. 

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Love this. One of the last college football games this past season and one of the first next season where he have little competition for viewers. I'll be up there for this one. Have a few Wisconsin fans as friends and to me having it on Friday night is even better. Doesn't eat the entire Labor Day weekend. 

That is the week-end of my annual fishing party...I agree.  Love getting it out of the way on a Friday night.  

Archived