Lightning in a bottle

I think we could feel watching the Sycamores they were shooting out of their minds against our Hoosiers.

Since: 0-2

3 pt %: 10-40, 25%

Lost to Auburn by 19, and lost by 18 to Old Dominion, who also held them to 44 pts for the game.  

Archie will get this group turned around in time, and my guess is we will have the pleasure of watching this team peak toward the end of the season, tourney looks long shot, but we have the right guy for the future  

Watching Indiana State after they played IU......one thought kept creeping into my mind.  It was as if some unkown players put on those uniforms for ISU, and then after our game with them, the real ISU players appeared for the subsequent games.  In other words, they did not perform on the same level as they did when they played IU.  A completely different team and mindset. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's the risk of scheduling in state school's. No win situation for IU. Oh well. Distant memory now. I think fans are the only one's still discuss ISU.

I hate scheduling the in-state schools. Serves no purpose for us...ultimately harms us. Get in the national games. Butler/IPFW/ISU/UE/ND vs IU doesn't appeal to high level recruits and it doesn't really appeal to our players either. 

Instead of avoiding in-state schools, we should strive to get better as a program so that we don't LOSE to them.  IU should be able to prove that they are the best in the state year-in and year-out.  We're not going to play a non-conference schedule full of top 25 teams.  You'll rack up too many losses that way.  Everyone plays mid to low majors.  In fact. I'll go so far as say it's better to lose to Fort Wayne than it is to lose to Eastern Washington.  At least one can be somewhat explained by the emotion of the opponent.  The other doesn't even have that as an excuse.  And, I'm not talking about playing them all in the same year.  Play 1 or 2 a year.

Simply put, the correct answer is not to avoid them, the correct answer is to not lose to them.    

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Instead of avoiding in-state schools, we should strive to get better as a program so that we don't LOSE to them.  IU should be able to prove that they are the best in the state year-in and year-out.  We're not going to play a non-conference schedule full of top 25 teams.  You'll rack up too many losses that way.  Everyone plays mid to low majors.  In fact. I'll go so far as say it's better to lose to Fort Wayne than it is to lose to Eastern Washington.  At least one can be somewhat explained by the emotion of the opponent.  The other doesn't even have that as an excuse.  And, I'm not talking about playing them all in the same year.  Play 1 or 2 a year.

Simply put, the correct answer is not to avoid them, the correct answer is to not lose to them.    

I couldn't have said it any better my friend.  Play them.  It is good for this state.  I remember the 93-94 team.  We opened with Butler and we were ranked.  We got beat at Hinkle.  

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No one is saying to play an entire non-con of Top 25 teams. I prefer to put the wellness of the program above the simple answer of "just don't lose to them". Playing ISU or IPFW or UE does absolutely nothing positive for IU. It does nothing positive for the state. If you can tell me how it positively influences our school or our state, I would love to hear it. You can make a case for Butler, as they're typically a high RPI team...but there are other high RPI teams out there that don't have extra motivation against IU. If your only answer is to "not lose to them," then why don't we play a bunch of Top 25 teams? Don't avoid them, just don't lose to them. There's a big difference between Eastern Washington and Fort Wayne, and you know it. So trash the games against the in-state schools...get Kentucky back on the schedule. Go down to Atlanta and play a team like Georgia Tech or something along those lines...doesn't have to be a blueblood, or a Top 25 team...but get the team in the spotlight. Bring Eastern Washington in if you want a game against an RPI 275, but there's absolutely no reason to play a game against an in-state school who you know is coming out like its the national championship with nothing to lose.

9 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

I think we could feel watching the Sycamores they were shooting out of their minds against our Hoosiers.

Since: 0-2

3 pt %: 10-40, 25%

Lost to Auburn by 19, and lost by 18 to Old Dominion, who also held them to 44 pts for the game.  

Archie will get this group turned around in time, and my guess is we will have the pleasure of watching this team peak toward the end of the season, tourney looks long shot, but we have the right guy for the future  

I think there' something here. Our guys are learning the new defensive system and obviously have a ways to go, and our second game highlighted the failures to close out consistently, but yeah, sometimes a team just goes off, and that was some ridiculous shooting. 

I would peg about 70% of ISU's success on having one of those crazy nights where everything goes in. Sure, there were some defensive lapses that accounted for a significant level (IMO 30%) of their success) but I'd put the lion's share of it on a typically poor outside shooting team having one of those nights where they could absolutely do nothing wrong.

I liken it to a sectional game in Washington Indiana in 1980 (well before the Zellers) where co-favorite Loogootee (who had beaten host and co-favorite Washington in a close game to open the sectional) faced lowly Washington Catholic (who only made the second round due to a bye in the draw).  Washington Catholic had won maybe 3-4 games all year but absolutely caught fire that night and just stomped a stunned Loogootee into the ground.  WC had a guard...I think his name was Brayton Hays, who absolutely lit up Loogootee, hitting some shots almost from the hash marks that night.  The entire 7000-capacity gym, except for the Loogootee section of the crowd, was absolutely roaring that night as we could not believe what we were seeing and I believe the final margin was similar to IU's 21-point loss, although I couldn't put my hands on the score.

Barr-Reeve, who was at best a dark horse that year, clobbered Washington Catholic a couple of nights later to claim their first sectional crown in many many years. The WC-Loogootee "Miracle on the Hardwood" was the first thing that came to mind when I was trying to make sense of the ISU loss.  Some nights things happen that you can't explain with statistics.  I'll always suspect that the lion's share of ISU's shooting success was a combination of being jacked up for the opponent, getting on a roll and then hitting a bunch of shots that had no business going in during a typical ISU performance.  The game I speak of is referenced here, although I'm pretty sure that Mr. Richardson missed at least one key fact in his recollection (game was definitely in the 2nd round after Loogootee had beaten Washington).

http://www.gcdailyworld.com/story/1254979.html

I have no problem scheduling ISU or Evansville or IUFW. That’s not the issue. The issue is getting a team good enough and mentally tough enough to beat the in state teams even if they are highly charged and motivated.   You know you’re a pretender if you can’t take them on and handle them.  

Its like the golden boy at school who is everyone’s favorite and the angry kid from the wrong side of the tracks has had enough and wants to fight the golden boy, except that the golden boy then kicks his ass for everyone to see.  IU needs to be that golden boy.  

Archived