Cronk in transfer portal

With him going to Iowa, this sure looks like a case of him wanting to play tackle, and us not having a spot for him.  Not that Bedford and Jones are necessarily better than Cronk, but it would be tough to take one of those guys who knew they'd be starters next year, and move them to the bench.  I would guess, like most have, that we wanted to move him to guard, but he wants to stay at tackle.

At Iowa, he'll be replacing a likely top 10 pick, so if he can show there isn't much drop off from Wirfs to him, that could be a big boost for his draft stock.  I'm sure he had a lot of options, so since he went to a school we don't play next year, I definitely don't have any ill will towards him.  Hopefully he kicks butt next year and gets drafted.

I don’t wish anybody ill will, but, for a variety of reasons, I’m not congratulating him or expressing any positive feeling for this decision.  He bailed on the program and coaches that gave him the opportunities and mentoring he needed.  Iowa is a latecomer and then gets him for his fifth year season.  Iowa wouldn’t have started him at LT as a freshman and let him play to gain experience the way IU did.  Iowa literally has nothing to do with him being the player that he is.  That’s all IU.  And this is how he repays the program that supported him?

Beyond that, I’m not an NFL line coach but his body type and frame screams center or guard at the next level.  If he wants to showcase himself at LT, have at it, but IMO he’d be better served showing versatility and the ability to play, say, center.   Then, from there, an NFL team may like the versatility and be happy with him as a hedge to go out and backup at tackle if somebody goes down.  Versatile o-linemen are valuable because of the roster spot.  He’s getting bad advice and I don’t agree with his logic.  

In the end, he’s no longer one of my guys so I don’t give a crap where he ends up at the next level.  

Archived