Northwestern Postgame Thread

KDB

Posting this in fear of being called a sunshine pumper but while it should not have been this close. I was glad to see the effort and energy Al seem to give us when we were down 10. Even though we should have probably won by double digits I’m glad we got the win. Now if we could only get that type of energy all game that would be great. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Totally get where you’re coming from, but he almost single-handedly won us that game down the stretch, lol.

Sure did. Message needs to be sent and this kid has caused issues last year and now this year. He can sit on seat #13 and grad transfer. No way I put him out there again. 

31 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, there's no way I want a scholar athlete of the month who scored 18 pts, had six rebounds and three steals play on my team.

You missed the part about showing up the Indiana University Basketball Coach and his mates. I can deal without him....but like with many things. To each their own.

14 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree. Without “good Devonte” we would have lost to FSU by 10. Sure would be nice if the “good” version would show up more often. At this point “it is what it is” but it is a shame he is so inconsistent because he has some talent.

Remember a guy by the name of Landon Turner?

4 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Posting this in fear of being called a sunshine pumper but while it should not have been this close. I was glad to see the effort and energy Al seem to give us when we were down 10. Even though we should have probably won by double digits I’m glad we got the win. Now if we could only get that type of energy all game that would be great. 

I'm with you. Trying to find the silver. Up to the players. I'll decide in March if the leader is the right guy. Right now we have to play the cards we've been dealt but I see about 2-3 constants between last year and this year that I just don't want on the court anymore. Obviously though the cupboard is empty. 

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

CAM sounds like he is going to shorten the rotation. I don’t think it’s a coincidence we went on our run with Green out of the game. 

So far, and I hate to say it, but I don't really believe anything that comes out of CAM's mouth.

35 minutes ago, rico said:

Well the vultures have roosted for the time being.  We shall see if their ready to circle again come Saturday.

Words can not describe how upset I am about tonight's game.  That was a pitiful performance for about 32 minutes.  It seems losing the bbIQ is contagious with this squad.  Seems like mental mistakes come in droves and by different players.  The scoring droughts continue at an unacceptable rate.  We were just damn lucky.  But it is a win...maybe that switch will get turned on.  

It won't.  And I am about as positive as it gets.  Sigh.  We know basketball.  And this is just obviously bad basketball. 

Just now, rico said:

So far, and I hate to say it, but I don't really believe anything that comes out of CAM's mouth.

He's a player and I believe he's trying to give the players as long as he can. My guess is Ohio St this Saturday is his last time with the core. After that. Go young and see what happens. Few of the guys can transfer or sulk. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Remember a guy by the name of Landon Turner?

Very well.
When he finally flipped the switch it changed everything (also didn’t hurt that Isiah was given more free reign). Landon’s turnaround is a big reason for us winning our second least-dusty banner.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You missed the part about showing up the Indiana University Basketball Coach and his mates. I can deal without him....but like with many things. To each their own.

Hi, I didn't get to see the game or attend the game, what are you referring to in regards to showing up the coach and his teammates?

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He's a player and I believe he's trying to give the players as long as he can. My guess is Ohio St this Saturday is his last time with the core. After that. Go young and see what happens. Few of the guys can transfer or sulk. 

If that is his mentality then so be it.  Bit I know one thing, losing with young, inexperienced players is a helluva lot better than watching seasoned vets piss a season away.

32 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

To paraphrase RMK...Let me just say I thought Devonte was horrendous.  We got absolutely nothing out of him from a leadership standpoint.  He’s a senior and a captain...it’s his job to get our guys ready to play a ball game.    He’s had 2 good games in the past few years and apparently that’s what he was interested in.  If we don’t have Trayce Jackson Davis you can just forget the whole freakin thing.  And I’m telling you this is not a good basketball team. And Northwestern really proved that tonight.

A freaking PLUS!

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

TJD is a stud. 

Rob still not back to full health and minutes, I don’t get that. 

The three big lineup continuing is mystifying 

From the various things I have read about Rob's injury, I am guessing that it is similar to what Elston had with multiple small sports hernias. Elston described them as being terribly painful and required surgery just after his junior year...

This team reminds me a lot of the third year of the Crean tenure. Not all completely bought in, still not quite organized, and completely lacking confidence. That team had a lot more talent than this one and had similar maddening inconsistencies (though it was younger overall)....

Just now, Reacher said:

Justin did lead the team with a +12 in the +/-. Green was last at -13. That says alot about this game.

Yep. He sure did and I thank him for leading the team to a 4 point win vs Northwestern. He's got Depaul as a grad transfer written all over him. Kid has zero clue.He and his friends did their thing last year......and so far? All I'll say is I look for common denominators. Smith, Davis, Green, Durham.....those are the same 4 during Archie's tenure.

3 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So if Archie does really cut down the rotation who do you think he sticks with? TJD Al Smith Brunk and Rob who subs for who?

If you watch Duke or even Notre Dame play, both pretty much use a 7-8 man rotation.  Now at times when foul trouble warrants it, they expand the bench.  I see no reason why we couldn't do the same.  But Deveonte is no point.  So adjustments would have to be made when Rob comes out.

Archived