Northwestern Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching Archie post game presser. If I didn't know better, I would have bet he read our game thread, before making his comments.

I believe, based on his comments, he has a very good understanding of the problems. Question is...can he find a way to get the team to react, and solve those problems?

His comment about shortening the rotation all the way to "5" really got my attention. It sure sounded like he was ready to finally pull the trigger on making some significant changes.

We'll see.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

If you watch Duke or even Notre Dame play, both pretty much use a 7-8 man rotation.  Now at times when foul trouble warrants it, they expand the bench.  I see no reason why we couldn't do the same.  But Deveonte is no point.  So adjustments would have to be made when Rob comes out.

Oh I agree. I just wasn’t sure who actually has earned playing time besides maybe Franklin with his defense?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

If you watch Duke or even Notre Dame play, both pretty much use a 7-8 man rotation.  Now at times when foul trouble warrants it, they expand the bench.  I see no reason why we couldn't do the same.  But Deveonte is no point.  So adjustments would have to be made when Rob comes out.

Same thing with UK.

I agree with Scott when he posts that he does not understand why guys can’t play, if warranted,  33-35 or so a game. That used to be fairly common. 

27 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Sounds like CAM is getting ready to shorten some players minutes. I seen it on a tweet or something during his post game. And and maybe our players will take notice

I will believe that when I see it.  Feels like we have heard that before.

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just finished watching Archie post game presser. If I didn't know better, I would have bet he read our game thread, before making his comments.

I believe, based on his comments, he has a very good understanding of the problems. Question is...can he find a way to get the team to react, and solve those problems?

His comment about shortening the rotation all the way to "5" really got my attention. It sure sounded like he was ready to finally pull the trigger on making some significant changes.

We'll see.

I’m glad that for only $8,000,000, after 2 1/2 seasons, he sees what we have been saying (for free)  all along. :)

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Same thing with UK.

I agree with Scott when he posts that he does not understand why guys can’t play, if warranted,  33-35 or so a game. That used to be fairly common. 

There is a difference with UK and Duke...they are really talented on the pine.  But yeah there is no reason why 7 guys couldn't play an entire game barring major foul trouble.  Pretty much what Bobby did in '87.

Just now, rico said:

There is a difference with UK and Duke...they are really talented on the pine.  But yeah there is no reason why 7 guys couldn't play an entire game barring major foul trouble.  Pretty much what Bobby did in '87.

That’s true. 
An example of Duke’s talent on the pine.....In the last championship game Duke won every single player that got into that game for Duke was a McDonalds burger boy....

I wasn’t clear. I don’t necessarily think we have 7 guys that can play that much but was thinking of someone like TJD, Rob if he gets back to where he was etc.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. He sure did and I thank him for leading the team to a 4 point win vs Northwestern. He's got Depaul as a grad transfer written all over him. Kid has zero clue.He and his friends did their thing last year......and so far? All I'll say is I look for common denominators. Smith, Davis, Green, Durham.....those are the same 4 during Archie's tenure.

And... Archie himself.

If those four are the root of our problems, why haven't they been replaced? Why are three of those four in our starting lineup, and getting the most minutes per game of anyone else but Trayce? The rest of Archie's underclassmen gave us next to nothing tonight. If it were truly the upperclassmen stunting this program, it should have been easy to recruit our develop over them. That it hasn't happened suggests the problems run deeper than those four guys.

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

@Seeking6 I’m with you on those four guys.... but what did JS do to disrespect the coaches / other players tonight? I missed it.

When coach brought him out and stopped him on his way to the bench, Justin flailed his hands and had a bit of a hissy tantrum.

I applaud CAM for what he has had to tolerate thus far in his tenure. I’m ready for him to finally boil over.

I’m frustrated as could be with Archie but I absolutely loved his post game presser.  I think the fingers are being pointed directly at 2-3 players.  Mentioned doing the same mistakes over and over....DG.....mentioned jogging back on Defense.....DG, JS, JH....and mentioned cutting the rotation down as well.  He was fairly calm but could tell he just lit the guys up.  Let’s see what happens Saturday.  

7 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

And... Archie himself.

If those four are the root of our problems, why haven't they been replaced? Why are three of those four in our starting lineup, and getting the most minutes per game of anyone else but Trayce? The rest of Archie's underclassmen gave us next to nothing tonight. If it were truly the upperclassmen stunting this program, it should have been easy to recruit our develop over them. That it hasn't happened suggests the problems run deeper than those four guys.

Or there could be someone band-aiding the situation with big boy “adult” pants on. Never know 

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. He sure did and I thank him for leading the team to a 4 point win vs Northwestern. He's got Depaul as a grad transfer written all over him. Kid has zero clue.He and his friends did their thing last year......and so far? All I'll say is I look for common denominators. Smith, Davis, Green, Durham.....those are the same 4 during Archie's tenure.

Smith and Green, I’m done with, though Smith came up big in the 2nd half. I love Durham. Yea he can get out of control at times and makes some ill advised passes, but to me he plays with a lot of passion. I still think if he doesn’t get tossed we beat Ark. he was a big reason we won tonight and he can actually hit FTs.

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m frustrated as could be with Archie but I absolutely loved his post game presser.  I think the fingers are being pointed directly at 2-3 players.  Mentioned doing the same mistakes over and over....DG.....mentioned jogging back on Defense.....DG, JS, JH....and mentioned cutting the rotation down as well.  He was fairly calm but could tell he just lit the guys up.  Let’s see what happens Saturday.  

Is there a link? 

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I haven’t seen it yet but would like your take...

why just now? That all sounds good and all but seems like comments that should’ve been there earlier. Of course we don’t know what all he has tried behind the scenes.

7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Or there could be someone band-aiding the situation with big boy “adult” pants on. Never know 

That’s what I said after the Arkansas game. Arch is trying his best to give these guys a chance, hoping they turn the corner / figure it out bc we could be a better team with them. He’s doing his best with no upperclassmen leadership (minus Brunk). Remove DG and JS and I think you prob have a much better atmosphere. Unfortunately when upperclassmen are the problem, your young guys are more likely to follow the bad examples as opposed to going down their own path. But if this is indeed what’s going on, it’s CAM’s responsibility to fix it. 

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

That’s what I said after the Arkansas game. Arch is trying his best to give these guys a chance, hoping they turn the corner / figure it out bc we could be a better team with them. He’s doing his best with no upperclassmen leadership (minus Brunk). Remove DG and JS and I think you prob have a much better atmosphere. Unfortunately when upperclassmen are the problem, your young guys are more likely to follow the bad examples as opposed to going down their own path. But if this is indeed what’s going on, it’s CAM’s responsibility to fix it. 

What if he’s been asked to ice it over? Never know

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

This. x1000.

This is something I wondered about in the DG Conspiracy thread. He was player voted team captain. The guys like him, perhaps emulate him. If attitude is an issue, other guys key on that, the multiplier effect can be brutal. 

We armchair quarterback this situation and act like the solution is simply to sit guys. Maybe it is. But, young people are different these days. They’re emboldened and they don’t just act it, they live it. It’s a tougher line to toe than a lot of us tough, discipline-minded guys would like to admit. Especially when just on the other side of the coin is a desperate, ravaged, divided fan base breathing down your neck. 

The dynamic and game are not what they were. But, our fan base isn’t so sure about that.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

But he was the scholar athlete of the month!!!

Aside from his scholarly accomplishments (kudo’s to him by the way) Smith had 18 points and 6 boards tonight. The challenge is....which of the  Archie recruits could have replaced/matched what Smith did tonight?
Race? Hunter? Damezi? Open scholarship 1? Open scholarship 2?

I think Green will see reduced time, DD’s is already reduced but I bet Al and Smith will keep roughly the same playing time. We really need pre-concussion Rob to effectively move some of Greens minutes.

31 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

Smith and Green, I’m done with, though Smith came up big in the 2nd half. I love Durham. Yea he can get out of control at times and makes some ill advised passes, but to me he plays with a lot of passion. I still think if he doesn’t get tossed we beat Ark. he was a big reason we won tonight and he can actually hit FTs.

Al is not good.  Just watch him closely...stands around in offense, always out of position on defense, dribbles too much, never puts the ball where it needs to be, dumb fouls, dumb turnovers....and on and on.  He is a huge part of the problem, not the solution.  Definitely not the type of player IU should have to play heavy minutes

Archived