Northwestern Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Hunter was one of them. And it was a big surprise to me......he CANNOT do that. And if he does, send him to the locker room.

That's a big reason I think Thompson and Anderson should jump him in the current rotation.

That and the fact that of his last 18 3 point attempts he has only made one and that was a bank. I have officially given up hope that he will be the added offense we need. 

Listen...I know it hasn't been pretty and there's been a lot of negative talk and concern about our play...I get it...but lets take a step back -> we have played ugly basketball most of this year and still have found a way to be 12-3 (honestly, 13-2 if Al didn't get a flagrant 2 in Arkansas game)...I"m not sure how, but we have found ways to win. We'll see how our play carries over on Saturday...Onto to OSU

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

From what I saw he waved off Archie, threw his towel down, complained to his teammates....visibly pissed off at Archie for pulling him after 5 turnovers (oh the humanity). To his credit though. He took the anger and used as motivation and came back in and helped us get the win. He didn't untuck his jersey and sit/moan/complain. For that I will give him credit but the first part....I don't know. I honestly just don't know what to do with a few of these guys.

Was it the same sequence in the second half where he blew by Archie but then turned around to listen to him?

I think cam is stuck in the middle here between being a disciplinarian and being a players coach.  I think he's trying to be both he's got to be one or the other.

The problem right now is not talent.  The talent isn't great but we have more than enough to be able to at least make the tournament.  Look at Butler at #6, we are significantly more talented than them.  The problem isn't Archie or a bad offense or lack of shooters (although I will admit we do need to fix this concern).  The problem is energy.  As I have mentioned and others have mentioned in this thread this team lacks motivation causing players to be disinterested and not play hard.  Northwestern was winning because they were playing with a chip on their shoulder coming into Assembly Hall as the worst team in the Big Ten wanting to win.  Then we went on that run to get back into the game and the crowd and team got fired up and sure enough we win.  It's not rocket science.  If this team would play with the energy they showed in those last 7 minutes or the energy from the first half of the Notre Dame game we could be a top 15 team and I don't even think that is an exaggeration because of this down year in college basketball.  This year anybody can beat anybody if they want it bad enough.

12 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't know what happened with Green, but Smith did no such thing. Smith was frustrated and going to bench, it's easy to read Archie's lips on the replay: he asked him "what happened?" presumably referring to Smith getting back-doored. Smith stopped, turned around and explained to Archie why he got beat. He was clearly frustrated with himself and the game at that point, but to call that disrespecting anyone is not accurate.

Actually, the complete opposite is true. Like it or not. Where there appears to be lack of respect and disinterest, there is.
As for credit. I’m not one throw out an atta boy for doing what your supposed to do. Going above and beyond expectations on your own warrants credit.

10 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Actually, the complete opposite is true. Like it or not. Where there appears to be lack of respect and disinterest, there is.
As for credit. I’m not one throw out an atta boy for doing what your supposed to do. Going above and beyond expectations on your own warrants credit.

All day long. Hit the nail on the head. Doing what your supposed to do shouldn't deserve some sort of high praise. 

I don't like Smith's erratic play but I hope he is not one of the guys who gets minutes cut.  I agree that Smith was really frustrated.  He's a low key guy who probably doesn't know how to express his frustration well.   Archie went back to him and he did well to close the game.   I think Archie need to tell him to quit passing the ball when he drives into the paint and shoot.  Maybe have an outlet on the perimeter if needed.  His QB rating and completions .pct on those 2-3 foot lobs and bounce passes is pretty low. Just shoot the ball and quit being cute.  Hate to bench Brunk but IMO, TJD and Smith might be the best options at the 4 and 5. Anyway if Archie is going to tighten the rotation and Smith gets limited minutes then we'll know if there is anything there. 

Disappointed in Green.  Deron has just lost any mobility he had. Might be time to move on from these 2. These are the seniors on the team so that says a lot about what we are seeing. 

Getting Rob on track is the key to getting this thing turned around. I think he is also best equipped to be the leader.  

I had hoped Archie would give Hunter more opportunity and Hunter did not do well last night.  I think his talent and skillset is needed.  Hope Archie sticks with him but at some point he has to show positive progress or reset in the off season.  Hopefully he stays and doesn't leave the program.

I didn't like that Al led the charge on the comeback then got benched for Franklin. What  next. IU found themselves down by 5 pretty quick after some more silly plays. Al was showing some leadership that the team could rally around.  Franklin came in and made a couple frosh mistakes but then made a couple nice plays but why kill the momentum.

I'd like to see Archie lose it on the sideline and yell at someone be it players or refs.   He should have forced the refs to give him a tech on that bogus foul call.  Maybe even 2 techs and an ejection to fire up the fans or the team.  

58 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Hunter was one of them. And it was a big surprise to me......he CANNOT do that. And if he does, send him to the locker room.

That's a big reason I think Thompson and Anderson should jump him in the current rotation.

Yep, I’ve noticed that about Hunter too, especially last night.  And he is flat-out BAD on defense... Constantly losing his man and getting beat off the dribble.  Can’t shoot a lick either — and for some reason his form seems to have regressed from earlier this season even.  I don’t buy that this is all still happening because of the leg condition.  Kid isn’t the competitor or scorer he was billed as.

8 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I don't like Smith's erratic play but I hope he is not one of the guys who gets minutes cut.  I agree that Smith was really frustrated.  He's a low key guy who probably doesn't know how to express his frustration well.   Archie went back to him and he did well to close the game.   I think Archie need to tell him to quit passing the ball when he drives into the paint and shoot.  Maybe have an outlet on the perimeter if needed.  His QB rating and completions .pct on those 2-3 foot lobs and bounce passes is pretty low. Just shoot the ball and quit being cute.  Hate to bench Brunk but IMO, TJD and Smith might be the best options at the 4 and 5. Anyway if Archie is going to tighten the rotation and Smith gets limited minutes then we'll know if there is anything there. 

Disappointed in Green.  Deron has just lost any mobility he had. Might be time to move on from these 2. These are the seniors on the team so that says a lot about what we are seeing. 

Getting Rob on track is the key to getting this thing turned around. I think he is also best equipped to be the leader.  

I had hoped Archie would give Hunter more opportunity and Hunter did not do well last night.  I think his talent and skillset is needed.  Hope Archie sticks with him but at some point he has to show positive progress or reset in the off season.  Hopefully he stays and doesn't leave the program.

I didn't like that Al led the charge on the comeback then got benched for Franklin. What  next. IU found themselves down by 5 pretty quick after some more silly plays. Al was showing some leadership that the team could rally around.  Franklin came in and made a couple frosh mistakes but then made a couple nice plays but why kill the momentum.

I'd like to see Archie lose it on the sideline and yell at someone be it players or refs.   He should have forced the refs to give him a tech on that bogus foul call.  Maybe even 2 techs and an ejection to fire up the fans or the team.  

I think it's pretty clear that the guys on the court when we made our comeback are not getting their minutes cut. 

Seems like Hunter for sure. Maybe Damezei. Davis has to be a situational guy, but he already is. Hard to say what he has in mind for Green. If he busts his ass in practice and shows energy on the bench, I could forgive Archie for giving him quality minutes. If he doesn't do those things, then he can ride out his career on the bench. 

It's hard to fault Race, but I don't see what he bring that Smith doesn't do better. I wouldn't bench him per se, but I wouldn't see him as a rotation piece unless we're in foul trouble. Which we've actually done a really good job of avoiding. 

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep, I’ve noticed that about Hunter too, especially last night.  And he is flat-out BAD on defense... Constantly losing his man and getting beat off the dribble.  Can’t shoot a lick either — and for some reason his form seems to have regressed from earlier this season even.  I don’t buy that this is all still happening because of the leg condition.  Kid isn’t the competitor or scorer he was billed as.

Wow, we really see things differently on Hunter. And in 9 minutes. OK.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’d still like to see him get minutes, if only because he clearly has some talent and I’m sick of bashing my head against the wall with the three-big lineup.  But he’s not locked in on the sidelines, he’s not locked in on defense, and he’s not scoring the ball, so I can see why he’s currently the 10th or 11th guy in the rotation.  Anderson’s shot is also totally busted, but he’s at least bringing consistent energy and effort.

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

First off most of these players would not  be on a Knight coached team. If they were and he got into their sh++ like he did with Lewis and others our current roster would curl up in a ball after going to their safe space. Most are mental midgets (on the basketball court) in my opinion.

48 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You are going to have to convince me of what you are seeing.   Hope and potential are all I'm seeing.  I've mentioned his fade left on his shot, even early in the year when he hit 2 in a row, both were fading left, they just happened to go in.  Since he has gone 1 of 18 counting a bank shot.  He gets blown by defensively, head not on a swivel and gets lost easy.  But I'm happy to listen to what you have seen.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

You are going to have to convince me of what you are seeing.   Hope and potential are all I'm seeing.  I've mentioned his fade left on his shot, even early in the year when he hit 2 in a row, both were fading left, they just happened to go in.  Since he has gone 1 of 18 counting a bank shot.  He gets blown by defensively, head not on a swivel and gets lost easy.  But I'm happy to listen to what you have seen.  

Naah I don't need to convince you. You are free to your opinion. But there have been games where Hunter has contributed well, we talked about them when he did. He didn't play well in this game, but he had a sum total 9 minutes. Guys need playing time, particularly in shooting, for rhythm. The big lineup is a failure. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Naah I don't need to convince you. You are free to your opinion. But there have been games where Hunter has contributed well, we talked about them when he did. He didn't play well in this game, but he had a sum total 9 minutes. Guys need playing time, particularly in shooting, for rhythm. The big lineup is a failure. 

I totally agree about the big 3. It's trash and has no spacing for driving or room for Brunk or TJD to operate.  I'm just hoping once all 4 guards are healthy and conditioned we can see a 3 guard line up.  Sprinkled with Demezi and Hinter getting 10-15 minites.  Just begging that CAM does something different now that the schedule is real from here on out.  Keep the big 3 in desperate situations or when Purdue tries to throw their 2 bigs at us.  

I'm not going to try and draw conclusions about laughter on the bench.   I think so far, Demezi brings energy and there is a reason he's getting the nod, he's just farther ahead offensively and defensively.   I'm still ok with Hunter getting 4 maybe 5 minutes per half to see if he's got it.  

10 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

TJD, Smith, Franklin, Al, Rob.  Brunk only one off the bench with significant minutes.  Others with spot duty to spell starters only. 

100% agree, this would seem to be the best lineup right now to me.  And who cares if it loses us a bunch of games?  We’re going to lose a bunch of games anyway, might as well develop Phinisee and Franklin.

12 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

TJD, Smith, Franklin, Al, Rob.  Brunk only one off the bench with significant minutes.  Others with spot duty to spell starters only. 

Agreed.  I would play Race some too though.  I know he’s far from perfect but he seems to work hard and appears very coach able unlike the others.

58 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

First off most of these players would not  be on a Knight coached team. If they were and he got into their sh++ like he did with Lewis and others our current roster would curl up in a ball after going to their safe space. Most are mental midgets (on the basketball court) in my opinion.

But at least they would get a "participation trophy"......

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Not only has college basketball changed in the last 24 years but so has society in general. Yes, you could argue that players magically getting into a time machine and traveling back to 1996 would obviously not perform well. The same could be said about basically any occupation today that was performed in 1996. You could also argue if in 1996 Bob Knight was magically time machined to coach this team he wouldn't be 12-3. He probably be 8-7.

Archived