Northwestern Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

All I know is that we needed a 2nd half comeback to beat the worst team in the Big 10 at........home. We were 23/30 from the charity stripe while the Wildcats were 8/10 and we out rebounded them by 13 with 9 more offensive rebounds at.......home. 

All that and we win by 4 at......home. I don’t know what’s going on and I’ll take 12-3, but this sort of play at home is worrisome. Assuming we simply can’t win road games, can we beat anyone good at home? I always thought Assembly Hall was a huge advantage but it doesn’t seem that way. Very odd.

Turnovers...the freaking turnovers.

Pleasantly surprised to see Smith with 18 pts. It was a "quiet" 18 from where I sat. only 6 boards in 37 minutes seems low to me, but 2 offensive boards is good. Biggest box score problem is the team high 5 turnovers he committed. Not a great game, but good game for Justin.

Trace, as usual, was the man. The go to guy in the last 5-6 minutes. Al was good for the last 4 minutes or so for intensity, and great from the FT line.

But team intensity is sorely wanting from my standpoint. 1-2 guys can't carry a team in the B1G anymore.

Just now, Hoosrnight said:

His play hasn’t really improved over his 3 plus years. Not sure I’m confident it will suddenly happen now.

Good Devonte is a weapon that can be utilized. I'm OK with him getting starters minutes in the first half, but if Good Devonte doesn't show signs of appearing, park him early in the 2nd. He's a streaky player. But utilize him when he's on and park him when he's off.

To paraphrase RMK...Let me just say I thought Devonte was horrendous.  We got absolutely nothing out of him from a leadership standpoint.  He’s a senior and a captain...it’s his job to get our guys ready to play a ball game.    He’s had 2 good games in the past few years and apparently that’s what he was interested in.  If we don’t have Trayce Jackson Davis you can just forget the whole freakin thing.  And I’m telling you this is not a good basketball team. And Northwestern really proved that tonight.

9 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

I liked seeing DG on the bench during the comeback. Hopefully that means his PT will be reduced?

I have not posted much as of late. Am i frustrated with the way we play YES. I hope DG getting benched brings back the FL. ST. player and the player that finished his Jr. year strong. I think for IU to have any real success we need  DG to play that way. I hope the benching will send a message to the WHOLE TEAM. Justin had a bad 1st half but helped win the game. I am still behind CAM but I hope he bends with His players strong points 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Good Devonte is a weapon that can be utilized. I'm OK with him getting starters minutes in the first half, but if Good Devonte doesn't show signs of appearing, park him early in the 2nd. He's a streaky player. But utilize him when he's on and park him when he's off.

I agree, but he makes so many stupid plays, and takes so many stupid shots. Yea, when the stupid shots are going in, he can be deadly. Then he may throw the ball away several times. I like him, but his BBIQ, isn’t great.

Two positives.

1) We kept our “hope” of going 10-10 in the conference, and making the tourney, alive.

2) Archie sat Green for an extended time. Based on  posts I’ve read I was beginning to think both McRobbie and Crean told Archie that he could not do that but he “sacked-up” and did it anyway.

Two negatives.

1) 2 1/2 years in and the team still does not play hard consistently. Totally baffling. Glad the announcers and post-game crew were calling us out for lack of effort.

2) At home we barely beat a terrible short-handed Northwestern team that was missing their point guard and had all their bigs in foul trouble. Thankfully we made adjustments to shut down their lacrosse player. 

Let’s beat OSU !!!

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I agree. Without “good Devonte” we would have lost to FSU by 10. Sure would be nice if the “good” version would show up more often. At this point “it is what it is” but it is a shame he is so inconsistent because he has some talent.

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Doubtful but sometimes wins like this will galvanize a team.  I hope it does, seen it before but don’t get your hopes up.

I am a fan of yours an an old man. AS LIFE HAS TAUGHT ME NEVER GIVE UP ON IU MBB. Love what you bring and not trying to rejoice in the way we are playing and being coached at the moment. But feel GOOD TIMES ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER!😉

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Watch them beat OSU Saturday with Green scoring 20.

Picked the wrong season to stop sniffing glue....

That’s the beauty of college basketball because anyone is capable of beating anyone on any given day. All you can do is watch and root that it happens.

Archived