Northwestern Postgame Thread

KDB

24 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

That’s what I said after the Arkansas game. Arch is trying his best to give these guys a chance, hoping they turn the corner / figure it out bc we could be a better team with them. He’s doing his best with no upperclassmen leadership (minus Brunk). Remove DG and JS and I think you prob have a much better atmosphere. Unfortunately when upperclassmen are the problem, your young guys are more likely to follow the bad examples as opposed to going down their own path. But if this is indeed what’s going on, it’s CAM’s responsibility to fix it. 

Ding...ding...we have a winner.  Allowing the core (Archie’s core) to play for themselves with no accountability to date, has to have had a negative effect on the others...that is the only explanation for their sudden regression. That makes sense.  To save his job, he just needs to show them the door versus keeping them around.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that was about as bad of a win as you can have. Just a terrible performance...again!

I agree with everyone on shortening the rotation and even some of the commentary on hoping a couple veterans aren’t back next year. The issue for me though is, I don’t have much faith that Archie can go get anyone better this Spring. This roster needs a talent upgrade at a lot of spots and I just don’t see where it’s coming from. 

I’d be a lot more encouraged if some of Archie’s recruits (Race, Phinisee, Jerome, Damezi) were contributing something, anything. At least it was encouraging to see Phinisee out there the last several minutes, hopefully it sparks his confidence. 

But man, I don’t think this is a tournament team. Good teams don’t need OT to beat Nebraska at home and don’t need a late comeback from down 10 at home to Northwestern. 

We ain’t going anywhere until Rob P starts contributing in pts per game.  Another ZERO pt, 3 TO performance in 18 min ain’t gonna cut it anymore.  He is arguably our most important player alongside TJD and we’ve gotten nothing so far.  PT G is the leader & all starts there so look no further with our struggles.  Major disappointment in his Soph season SO FAR.

2 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

We ain’t going anywhere until Rob P starts contributing in pts per game.  Another ZERO pt, 3 TO performance in 18 min ain’t gonna cut it anymore.  He is arguably our most important player alongside TJD and we’ve gotten nothing so far.  PT G is the leader & all starts there so look no further with our struggles.  Major disappointment in his Soph season SO FAR.

Every scenario in any fans heads had Rob being a central role in it. So yes I agree 100%. 

I wish if he was or is struggling a good bit physically they’d let on to that so we could be more understanding if that’s the case. If we are to assume he may just “be getting back into shape,” that’s getting old now. 

4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Agree. Of course injuries hurt him early, but he’s been back from numerous weeks now, and during three weeks of December there was only 1 game a week. So, the rust should be off now. 

This team desparetly needs him to be a catalyst on both ends, and we need his shooting.  

13 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Every scenario in any fans heads had Rob being a central role in it. So yes I agree 100%. 

I wish if he was or is struggling a good bit physically they’d let on to that so we could be more understanding if that’s the case. If we are to assume he may just “be getting back into shape,” that’s getting old now. 

"It's been pretty frustrating, but I'm working my way back in,'' Phinisee said Tuesday night after practice in a one-on-one interview. "I missed so many practices that my conditioning level wasn't up. I'm fine now, injury-wise, but it's just the conditioning part.

"It was really hard, especially mentally, trying to come back from an injury, a couple of injuries, really, because I missed so much time. Just not being able to play like yourself because you're not in shape, that's hard. And you just don't have a rhythm with your team, because you've been out for so long.''

And now? He's just about there, he said

"I'm not really caught up 100 percent, but it's close. I've been working hard every day, getting up extra shots, working on conditioning. I'm over the injuries, it's just that conditioning level. I can only do so much, because you really have to watch what you're doing at no overdo it. I don't want to get hurt again, because I really want to be out there helping my team.''

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-rob-phinisee-regaining-form

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Wow, that was about as bad of a win as you can have. Just a terrible performance...again!

I agree with everyone on shortening the rotation and even some of the commentary on hoping a couple veterans aren’t back next year. The issue for me though is, I don’t have much faith that Archie can go get anyone better this Spring. This roster needs a talent upgrade at a lot of spots and I just don’t see where it’s coming from. 

I’d be a lot more encouraged if some of Archie’s recruits (Race, Phinisee, Jerome, Damezi) were contributing something, anything. At least it was encouraging to see Phinisee out there the last several minutes, hopefully it sparks his confidence. 

But man, I don’t think this is a tournament team. Good teams don’t need OT to beat Nebraska at home and don’t need a late comeback from down 10 at home to Northwestern. 

Great post. 
Idk how we can even think of beating OSU (or anyone else for that matter) when we have had terrible performances against the B1Gs bottom feeders at home no less. 

Shortening the rotation was probably the best move Archie made all night. I really hope he sticks to his word and cuts minutes. 

Everyone talks about the problem being Crean’s recruits...but what are Archies recruits doing exactly?  RP has been hurt and looks no where near last seasons form, DA/JH/AF really aren’t ready to contribute in the B1G. TJD is really it. And whether you believe he’s staying or going, I’ve got it on good authority this summer he was talking about being a one and done. So IF his stock rises, he’s going to go. Then what?? We don’t have shooters coming, we don’t have a replacement for TJD IF he should rise in the draft boards to go, and we are still stuck with a few of Creans recruits that you never know what you are going to get out of them (unless they grad transfer). Roster management is on the staff and of HUGE concern IMO. 

I’m not in the fire Archie right now camp. I do believe he will get one more year. But unless he really pulls some players out of his hat I’m not sure much is going to change. I do think he’s a capable coach however going by the JS blow by while Arch was trying to talk to him I think there is a lot more issues going on than him trying to coach. I think he has a lot of kids that don’t buy into what he’s doing and don’t respect him as the coach. When you lose guys on the team like that it makes for a toxic environment and a lame duck sitting coach. I hope Archie can do something or these players may just cost him his job unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

"It's been pretty frustrating, but I'm working my way back in,'' Phinisee said Tuesday night after practice in a one-on-one interview. "I missed so many practices that my conditioning level wasn't up. I'm fine now, injury-wise, but it's just the conditioning part.

"It was really hard, especially mentally, trying to come back from an injury, a couple of injuries, really, because I missed so much time. Just not being able to play like yourself because you're not in shape, that's hard. And you just don't have a rhythm with your team, because you've been out for so long.''

And now? He's just about there, he said

"I'm not really caught up 100 percent, but it's close. I've been working hard every day, getting up extra shots, working on conditioning. I'm over the injuries, it's just that conditioning level. I can only do so much, because you really have to watch what you're doing at no overdo it. I don't want to get hurt again, because I really want to be out there helping my team.''

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-rob-phinisee-regaining-form

I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was speculation that Phinisee might have a sports hernia or something similar and would be dealing with it all season long. His quote about not overdoing it and not wanting to get hurt again sounds strange after saying he's over the injuries. It seems his problem is more than just a lack of conditioning.

If i see DeVonte take one more fade away shot like he is on the play ground i might stroke out. Al has no business at the point. We have 3 starters that can't shoot outside of 3 feet. JS, Brunk and TJD. We are easy to guard.

Positives....DeRon didnt see the floor, Green sat the last 11 mins. The guys played hard the last 12 mins. Shows you had bad they were  loafing the first 3/4 of the game. Got the win.

Very difficult to find positives in a win, which really shows how bad things are getting. One thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned is that if we're going to go big, these guys have to finish inside, particularly Brunk. Other than that, TJD seems to be the only one we can count on for any sort of consistent play. It's kind of bizarre how thin we are, considering that we were going into the season thinking we could go as many as 10-11 deep. It's starting to look like Archie's going to have to pull some transfer/Juco/grad magic to save his job next year, because it's not just FCTC's players that aren't producing now. 

This sucks.

The fact this game was as close as it was is alarming. Not the first sign for this team as they have been making the same mistakes the entire year. Barring the Florida state game where DeVonte caught fire, we haven’t looked like a tourney team all year. Squeaking by teams we should be beating that we are more talented then and our true road games in the big getting completely embarrassed. I didn’t think this team would win 25 games or anything, but thought 10 big ten wins was possible. Right now looking at the schedule I’m struggling find 4-5 more games I say ya we should win. And haven’t shown anything to lead me to believe we are possible of winning a road game. 

I can honestly say this is the first time in Archie’s tenure when I thought “ I miss tom creans offense” and also “ I don’t know if Archie will get this turned program around”. I’m willing to give it more time, but with the lack of improvement through the year it’s getting harder to stay positive. 

this was the least enjoyable win i have ever watched.  smith and green disrespecting CAM... no excuse.  should never have come back in the game.  i was in the camp saying Miller deserves 1 more year, but not if he has lost the team.  it's time to bench anyone not fully in and not part of next year.  

As far as Justin "blowing off" Archie, I rewatched that segment. You can see Justin is frustrated, but he does come back to Archie and talk to him. In the post game presser, Justin was very accountable for not only his own play, but the play of the whole team. He talked about his turnovers ("I was trying to play too fast") and how the team initially came out with energy (although that wasn't apparent to me on the defensive end) but lost it Midway through the game. They recovered that energy and pulled out the game. Justin did say they understood it takes that kind of energy for the whole game to compete against the upper echelon of a killer league.

I am not going to lie I get frustrated with IU players also. Like how does the ball bounce off your hand and go out of bounds! Robs pass to no one at the top of the Key. Races in bound to no one! About every three play of Devonte Green! So it seems. The truth is we have no leadership, and we can’t shoot consistently. Really how many easy shots did we brick last night. 
The problems will not magically go away until we start hitting shots for outside and someone steps up as a leader. Archie is going to have to found a shooter. I get mixed reviews about the incoming class next year. Can the shoot or not. I hear they are good athletes that can score ,but not good shooters from outside. What good does it do to run an offense that is built on play inside out if the guys outside can’t make the shot. 
The other thing what was that defense last night?  Jesus Christ how many times did they just pass the ball to someone wide open under the basket from the top of the key. Did we try something new and the guys didn’t understand who they were suppose to guard? 
We won that’s great, but wow we have bad problems that need to get better today! 

I am not going to lie I get frustrated with IU players also. Like how does the ball bounce off your hand and go out of bounds! Robs pass to no one at the top of the Key. Races in bound to no one! About every three play of Devonte Green! So it seems. The truth is we have no leadership, and we can’t shoot consistently. Really how many easy shots did we brick last night. 
The problems will not magically go away until we start hitting shots for outside and someone steps up as a leader. Archie is going to have to found a shooter. I get mixed reviews about the incoming class next year. Can the shoot or not. I hear they are good athletes that can score ,but not good shooters from outside. What good does it do to run an offense that is built on play inside out if the guys outside can’t make the shot. 
The other thing what was that defense last night?  Jesus Christ how many times did they just pass the ball to someone wide open under the basket from the top of the key. Did we try something new and the guys didn’t understand who they were suppose to guard? 
We won that’s great, but wow we have bad problems that need to get better today! 

Bench Green and Smith for more than a game or two, shrink the rotation from 11 to 8 or 9.  If that message doesn't get to you, then that tells me you are an "I" guy and not a "team" guy.  Last I remember, basketball was a team sport.  I haven't been a fan of Green since his arrival and still am not. 

No way RP is out of condition, the kid conditioned all summer during the program until his injuries.  I'll give you a few games to get your legs back, but to be out of condition through 6 or 7 games that is hard for me to absorb. 

A couple of other things...

Without TJD and Justin Smith's combine 14-22, we shot 19% from the floor.

We shot 3-14 from 3 and that includes Hunter's bank shot from the top of the circle. We had good looks too. 

Give Northwestern some credit. Undermanned they played their hearts out. I loved the way they ran their sets. They just didn't have the personnel to compete with us when we finally decided to buckle down. Chris Collins is a good coach. If he ever gets top shelf talent in there (I know, difficult) they would be something.

Archived